BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2009 1:40:09 AM EDT
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/09/18/MNO719OQN8.DTL

New kiosks at SFO first to sell carbon offsets
Michael Cabanatuan, Chronicle Staff Writer

Friday, September 18, 2009

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Print E-mail del.icio.us
(09-17) 18:22 PDT –– Travelers flying out of San Francisco International Airport can be the first in the nation to wipe away some of the damage their flights wreak on the planet by swiping their credit cards.

On Thursday, the Bay Area's largest airport unveiled three Climate Passport kiosks with touch screens that determine how many pounds of carbon dioxide a trip will produce, calculate the sum an environmentally conscious traveler should contribute to projects in San Francisco and California that help reduce greenhouse gases, then allow fliers to purchase certified carbon offsets.

"We realize people are going to fly," said Steve McDougal, executive vice president of 3Degrees, a San Francisco company that helped SFO develop the program. "This gives them something they can do to reduce their impact. This is just one of many small things people need to do."

The kiosks are located near the entrances to Terminal 3 and international terminals A and G - behind security checkpoints and perched in front of large signs reading, "Keep our skies blue. Purchase your air travel carbon offset here."

Setting up the Climate Passport program cost $190,000 in airport funds, said Kandace Bender, deputy airport director.

Judging from the reaction of the first two travelers to take a test spin of the touch screens, it's not clear whether the program will fly.

Soon after a press conference to unveil the kiosk in Terminal 3 concluded, Shane Johnson, 39, a traveling salesman from Vancouver, B.C., strolled up to take a look.

"What is it?" he asked.

Johnson punched in his starting airport and his destination - Vancouver to SFO and back - entered the number of passengers in his party - one - and hit the "add flight" button and the "calculate my flights" button.

His round trip would produce 1,186 pounds of carbon dioxide, which could be offset with a contribution of $7.26, the computer said. Johnson chose not to tap the "purchase now" button and slide his credit card into the kiosk.

"I don't live here, so I prefer to make my donations at home," he said.

A few minutes later, Bostonian Ari Peskoe, catching a flight home after a job interview, stopped by the machine and became the first person to purchase a carbon offset at SFO.

"My flight was free, so I thought buying some greenhouse gas reduction was the least I could do," he said.

His one-way trip home, the computer concluded, would produce 1,999 pounds of carbon dioxide, which could be offset for $12.24.

Despite his purchase, Peskoe said he's a bit skeptical about the concept of carbon offsets. Some critics question whether some of the programs that receive money are effective in reducing carbon dioxide.

McDougal said he understands such doubts, but that the projects funded by SFO fliers have been approved by an independent third party.

Climate Passport contributions fund the Garcia River Forest, a reforestation project in Mendocino County where redwood and Douglas fir trees are being added to a forest that had been heavily logged. They also go to the SFCarbon Fund, which is steering the money to Dogpatch Biofuels, a bio-diesel fueling station in southeastern San Francisco.

E-mail Michael Cabanatuan at [email protected].

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/09/18/MNO719OQN8.DTL#ixzz0RRv3xwLn
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:18:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I have always wanted to know what they use the carbon offset money for.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:21:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I have bullshit offset credits for sale in the EE.  

Pretty sure you're going to need a few after reading this thread.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:22:54 AM EDT
[#3]
That is such a great scam.

I should go on Craigslist, post some numbers describing how much "carbon" people use everyday. And then offer to plant random shit in my yard to help people offset their "carbon production"...for a price.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:24:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have bullshit offset credits for sale in the EE.  

Pretty sure you're going to need a few after reading this thread.  

I will purchase some but I need to know what you plan on doing to reduce future bullshit?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:24:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I have 6 acres of property and a pile of trees does this mean I can sell a few credits ? or burn some tires ?

This is like selling pet rocks exactly the same value ,   it is make believe crap to make you feel good.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:34:43 AM EDT
[#6]
HOLY SHIT. I need to run one of those Kiosks. That's the greatest fucking scam idea in history! Free money, and all you have to do is turn around and invest the money in something like a biodiesel setup for your truck! Or buy a couple thousand acres for "conservation." I am so getting in on this.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:36:10 AM EDT
[#7]
On Anthony Watts site last week,he showed where carbon credits were selling for 25 cents a ton on the Chicago Climate Exchange last week. This was down from a high of 7.00 last year. Talk about a fucking scam...

Climate Carbon Scam

Chris

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:01:34 AM EDT
[#8]
So what is alg0res cut?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:06:46 AM EDT
[#9]
A fool and his money are quickly separated.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:06:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Why didn't I think of this?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:17:54 AM EDT
[#11]
PT Barnum underestimated......
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:31:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
PT Barnum underestimated......

Easy was to get rid of them..."This Way to the Egress"          
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:34:09 AM EDT
[#13]
I occasionally MARVEL at our folly.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:38:12 AM EDT
[#14]
They are selling air.  I would walk by the kiosk and fart.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:38:53 AM EDT
[#15]
It's frightening that people can't see the folly in this.  More touchy-feely bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:44:18 AM EDT
[#16]
What a fucking awesome idea for a scam.  How do we get in on this?  
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:55:48 AM EDT
[#17]
If I were nearby, I'd stand there all day and make fun of the tools that actually give money to that scam.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:58:16 AM EDT
[#18]
If I burn tires is that like reducing my carbon footprint?  What if I just burn a bunch of cash instead?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:32:12 AM EDT
[#19]
They need some white guilt kiosks that have the funds direct deposited into SEIU/ACORN for reparations.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top