Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/5/2005 4:32:20 PM EDT
My Dad just bought two 20GA shotys for home defence. His and her 870s.

His wife, before Katrina, didn't want a gun in the house. Now she sends him to the store to buy 2.

She's concerned about all the refugees.

I wonder how many new guns will be sold nationwide.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:35:40 PM EDT
actually, up in the last week at my store. the first two days nothing, then wham its if busses ate stopping out front... im out of long guns and all my taurus handguns (and i had alot).
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:37:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/5/2005 4:38:19 PM EDT by weptek911]
His and hers 870s

Excellent choice. Now buy buckshot, slugs and more buckshot . Did I mention buckshot ?.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:38:03 PM EDT
In the middle of a disaster isn't the best time to perpare for your defense.

Owning a gun doesn't guarantee safety, knowing how to use it effectively does.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:44:19 PM EDT
about 4 days ago i drove by my local gun store to possibly scope something out for my mom. she's from new orleans/metairie suburbs and evacuated to Tenn before the 'cane hit. i'm in my 2nd year at LSU and have lived in NOLA for my entire life, save about 4 years mixed spent abroad.

there was a 40+ person line out the door with an employee controlling who entered just like a club. the store didn't even have power. just had a portable generator to keep the credit card reader going and a couple box fans circulating air in there. light got in through the skylight that's in the store and they were open from dawn till dusk every day.

i had gone to that same store only 2 days earlier, still after the 'cane hit and it was only me and about 6 other people in the store. i went to pick up a harris bipod for my M1A.

i think the only thing left on the shelf now in that place are your traditional hunting rifles and maybe the TRG-44 and M82 they kept in stock.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:50:02 PM EDT
My cousin was with us durning the worst of it and on his way back, he wanted to pick up a pistol. He had to go to several shops because most of them were low on stock and this was in Shreveport. I can imagine how things are further south.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:51:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Silesius:

+1
It's great to have ten guns but how many of these people are going to go to the range and get proficient with them. There are going to be a lot of tired, edgy knuckleheads out there with guns they know nothing about shooting themselves in the feet.

That situation just gets worse by the minute.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:52:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/5/2005 4:53:29 PM EDT by PROFESSORCHAOS]
i know that the shop i usually go to was all sold out of ars, aks, and shotguns.....they usually have quite a few of everything....and i'm in the NW corner of LA (shreveport)
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:55:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By eWRXshun:

i think the only thing left on the shelf now in that place are your traditional hunting rifles and maybe the TRG-44 and M82 they kept in stock.

Those TRGs don't seem to be good movers. My local shop has a .338 Lapua Mag one and it's been there for several months now. If I had the cash I'd offer em a low ball price on it as they can't seem to get it out of the store.

I really would like one as it is. Mostly it's because we can't have .50s out here and the TRGs are still evil looking enough to make libby piss his pants.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:56:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Reload_em:
+1
It's great to have ten guns but how many of these people are going to go to the range and get proficient with them. There are going to be a lot of tired, edgy knuckleheads out there with guns they know nothing about shooting themselves in the feet.

+1

stopped by another gun store up here in BR to talk to a friend who works there. some kid, i emphasize kid even though i'm 19, walks up to the counter and goes "can i see a .45?"

my friend handed him a kimber. when he looked at the tag, he put it on the counter and walked out.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:57:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Mauser101:
Those TRGs don't seem to be good movers. My local shop has a .338 Lapua Mag one and it's been there for several months now. If I had the cash I'd offer em a low ball price on it as they can't seem to get it out of the store.

I really would like one as it is. Mostly it's because we can't have .50s out here and the TRGs are still evil looking enough to make libby piss his pants.

i know if i had the money i'd get a TRG-44 but i don't. not a whole lot of people around here do either. its the same case with the TRG and the M82 up here. never off the shelf.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:58:04 PM EDT
the shop i work at is almost sold out of buckshot, and defense pistol ammo. sales are really up, and alot of the talk is i dont want to be defenseless when this happens to Fl. i agree... it happen with andrew and i bet it will happen again in my life time.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:58:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/5/2005 5:02:47 PM EDT by fxntime]
While some will not bother to learn to shoot others will, and every person that has a gun makes it harder for those who want to strip them away from us to do it. Figure a lot of these people are NEW owners, not the same guy buying another one. Makes a diff and I'd bet the govt types take notice and start worrying about signing onto bans and such.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:03:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By fxntime:
While some will not bother others will, and every person that has a gun makes it harder for those who want to strip them away from us to do it. Figure a lot of these people are NEW owners, not the same guy buying another one. Makes a diff and I'd bet the govt types take notice and start worrying about signing onto bans and such.

I agree with that. All in all a good thing. At least they see the need.
And plenty already know how to use a weapon. Let's face it, it ain't that difficult.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:23:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Rebel_Marine:

While some will not bother others will, and every person that has a gun makes it harder for those who want to strip them away from us to do it. Figure a lot of these people are NEW owners, not the same guy buying another one. Makes a diff and I'd bet the govt types take notice and start worrying about signing onto bans and such.

And plenty already know how to use a weapon. Let's face it, it ain't that difficult.

Yes it isn't that difficult to use one, but to understand things like safe gun handling, pointing at only what you intend to destroy etc. that is much harder for a lot of people who only have television and movies to show them how to handle a gun. Everyone isn't as responsible as we would like to think. I like the increase in gun owners, just not the 20% that think its all fun and games.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:30:06 PM EDT
Good excuse to pick up a couple of new toys but really should have had them already.
Old Boy Scout motto is "Be Prepared".
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:33:47 PM EDT

my friend handed him a kimber. when he looked at the tag, he put it on the counter and walked out.

Let me guess, Jim's Firearms?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:35:19 PM EDT
Should have got 12 guage.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:37:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By weptek911:
His and hers 870s

Excellent choice. Now buy buckshot, slugs and more buckshot . Did I mention buckshot ?.

Wal Mart - 20ga Slugs - $2.29

I buy a pack everytime I shop
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:39:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By huggybro:

bowie outfitters.

jim's was the store i went to and there was the huge line.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:41:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Rebel_Marine:

Yes it isn't that difficult to use one, but to understand things like safe gun handling, pointing at only what you intend to destroy etc. that is much harder for a lot of people who only have television and movies to show them how to handle a gun. Everyone isn't as responsible as we would like to think. I like the increase in gun owners, just not the 20% that think its all fun and games.

99% of looters will think twice about messing with someone just from a shot in the air.
More guns is a good thing, then the >gov is trying to take my gun, not thier gun.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:24:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:

you do your thing?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:28:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/5/2005 7:29:27 PM EDT by cajunboy]

Originally Posted By eWRXshun:

Originally Posted By huggybro:

bowie outfitters.

jim's was the store i went to and there was the huge line.

I always liked Cash in a Flash on Texas. Prices on ar's are high, but when I lived there, my buddy picked up a like new gen III glock 23 for $350.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:29:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By makeminealil9:

Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:

you do your thing?

Sould have gotten a 10 gauge, you know how loud 10 gauges are?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:29:54 PM EDT
I'll bet most of the people buying weapons down south are the early evacs. probally know they've lost everything and it's time to start over. Guns 1st.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:48:12 PM EDT
I can't believe how many men don't a gun because their wife "doesn't like guns". Holy crap that is ridiculous. Buy one and a lock box and hide it if it comes to that.

Watching the NG frisk everybody going anywhere and disarming them was quite alarming to me. I'm sure glad I didn't buy that house by the local Armory back when. I know that NG is doing all they can but I'll steer far clear of them should the SHTF in my neck of the woods. Mel Tappen was right again. I don't want to end up as "prepared" as some refugee who never thought once about their safety.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:10:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Mauser101:
Those TRGs don't seem to be good movers. My local shop has a .338 Lapua Mag one and it's been there for several months now.

Beretta dicked themselves over by raising the prices too high on the Sako TRG series. They're very nice rifles, but there are a lot of shops trying to sell the .308 at $3,200 or more. The .338LM is often the same price as the .308.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:15:37 PM EDT
Gun and ammo sales are probably gonna be up nation wide. New Orleans was a damn good lesson that people should not and can not depend upon government to protect us and always take care of them.
I live here in north central Minnesota and work in a county office of about 35 people in our building. After watching the chaos and lawlessness in New Orleans, I know that several co-workers bought a gun for home and family defense.
Myself, ordered another Bushy carbine :) Wife wants to take handgun classes and get herself a handgun.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:42:12 PM EDT

Personally, I'll take one negligent discharge per 1000 new gun owners over one raping/killing per 1000 non-gun owners any day of the week.

After this crisis is over, some of these new gun owners will take the time to learn how to use their weapons effectively - We will see not only a net increase in gun ownership, but a net increase in owners who are proficient with their guns.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:53:44 PM EDT
This has given me an idea:

A hand-out (small) booklet for new gunowners. A stack in every gun store, and given/offered with every firearm sold/transferred. Informing new gun owners of safety issues, storage, and more importainltly, securing the pro-gun agenda with every gun owner.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:00:22 PM EDT
Its up at my store. We DOUBLED our revenue this past friday and saturday over the week before. We supplied countless police officers and military personell going to NO, along with private citizens.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:35:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By weptek911:
His and hers 870s

+1
Buckshot is badass shit . The 870 loaded with alternating rounds of 00 buck and slugs is what sits next to my bed even though I have multiple AR's and AK's to choose from .

-Smiley
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:38:25 PM EDT
As it was stated in another thread. You migt be able to pick up a nice firearm for half the price,when they forget why they bought itin the first place.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:50:47 PM EDT
one local shop had a line out the door to get in with two cops filling out the yellow background check forms to get as many people out as hey could.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:14:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By blackandsilver:
one local shop had a line out the door to get in with two cops filling out the yellow background check forms to get as many people out as hey could.

Those officers probably weren't volunteering their time for free -The police department was paying their salaries while they helped citizens obtain firearms. That comes as close to an outright endorsement of gun ownership as anything I've ever heard.

Prediction: The NRA is going to have a field day with Katrina - There will be enough stories to fill the Armed Citizen section of American Rifleman magazine for several decades to come.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:56:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mjrowley:
As it was stated in another thread. You migt be able to pick up a nice firearm for half the price,when they forget why they bought itin the first place.

... and then sell it back to them at twice retail just before the next hurricane!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:02:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Silesius:

Avoidance is still the best defense. A firearm is only the tool of last resort. The cemetaries are full of people that had and knew how to use weapons.

Had many of them avoided the situation in the first place, they'd be alive.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:07:27 AM EDT
In years gone past, communities would deputize individual citizens to bolster local LEO in times of crisis. That is a better way to manage local area security than to expect Guardsmen to stand on every corner. The 'unorganised militia' bit is there for a good reason.

Unfortunately it doesn't mean diddly to sheeple and orcs. Citizenry concerned about communal disturbances shoudl discuss proactive measures eith their LEO. Of course if the LEO is uncommunicative.....
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:25:53 AM EDT
Be sure to stock up early. In St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana post-Katrina - No alcohol, No tobacco, No firearms, No ammo being sold at Wally World.
Top Top