Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2014 1:43:11 AM EDT

My computer (built in 2010) is developing some issues that most likely have to do with either a hard drive or PSU going bad. Tonight was the worst, I've ended up with about 7 restarts and I'm a little fed up.

Current rig is a very early i5 2500k, Asus P8P67 Pro, GTX760, etc... only update was the GPU (from a 460) and it's been running solidly since I built it.
This is what I'm looking at right now:

i5 4690k

Azrock Z97 Extreme3

G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1600 RAM

GTX970

Not sure on CPU cooler or PSU. Definitely want a good SSD for the OS (which will probably be 8.1 even though I love 7), and at least a 2T HDD.

Not sure on case either. Currently running an HAF 932 which I LOVE, but there might be something better by now.

In the process, I'll be turning my old computer into an HTPC.

Any recommendations or changes you'd make to the gaming rig?I'm trying to stay well under $1200 if possible. Closer to $1k would be ideal, but this will be a full build, not reusing any parts except peripherals.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:48:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Cooler

PSU

GPU, cpu and mb is all good to go

Im a huge fan of the RIPjaw ram from G.Skill, but might only be a heatsink difference between the two

cases the sky is your limit really, just get one with features you want, imo they should all be tooless by now
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:20:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Cooler

PSU

GPU, cpu and mb is all good to go

Im a huge fan of the RIPjaw ram from G.Skill, but might only be a heatsink difference between the two

cases the sky is your limit really, just get one with features you want, imo they should all be tooless by now
View Quote
Heh, I literally just ordered that PSU for my current computer to see if that's the issue I'm having, glad it's decent

What's the best performance/cost ratio for RAM? I don't want to go super cheap.

Also, are the WD Caviar Blacks still the way to go for mass storage?

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:46:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I put together a pretty decent list while the computer ran for a few hours this evening before freezing.

HAF932 case (I already have one, and it's still close to the top of the list apparently... familiarity FTW)

Asrock Z97 Extreme3

i5 4690K

Coolermaster Hyper 212

G.Skill Ripjaws X 8gig

WD 2tb Caviar Black

Crucial MX100 256g SSD

Corsair CX750

MSI GTX970

Windows 8.1 (running 7 now, but 8.1 will have better support for games later)

Total comes out to $1342 I could probably go for cheaper RAM, but it would only save about $20. OS is $104, I had forgotten about that. GTX970 is the most expensive piece by far at $350, but I don't want to go lower than that.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:48:37 PM EDT
[#4]
any particular game are you aiming to win at?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:21:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

any particular game are you aiming to win at?
View Quote
Not really. I could run most things acceptably at very high or ultra settings, but aside from the PC problems I was having, Far Cry 4 was chugging a little on Very High so I figure it's time to update anyway

I generally play things like Skyrim (heavily modded), flight sims, Arma II & 3 (both CPU and graphics intensive) and such.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 6:19:50 AM EDT
[#6]
My rig:

ASUS Maximus V Extreme motherboard

i7 4470k CPU *delided*

Corsair 16Gb (4x4Gb) Dominator Platinum 2333mhz RAM

2x EVGA GTX 780 Ti Superclocked in SLI

256gb Samgung 840 Pro SSD for boot OS and a couple programs for fast start-up

1Tb Seagate Barracuda HDD for storage (would have been a 1Tb SSD, but I couldn't wait to save up money for it)

Corsair AX1200 PSU

Windows 8.1 64 bit

Cooling:

4x Corsair SP120 fans (2 in front - intake, 2 on top - exaust)

1x Corsair AF 140 - exhaust

Corsair H100 liquid cooling system for the CPU

There's really no benefit for me upgrading to the 980s right now. I'd love to have 2x Titan Black's or Titan Z's.....that VRAM doe....

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top