Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2003 5:50:56 AM EDT
This is from E-news in Jacksonville, I think that it is from the Florida Times Union.

"Prayer In Jury Room Sparks Questions In Death Penalty Case
Posted: 5:11 p.m. EDT May 27, 2003

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- As the family of a woman killed 13 years ago sat through the sentencing phase of the man convicted of her murder for the three time, the whole case almost unraveled.
Problems with a juror force a judge to consider a motion for a mistrial.

On Friday, Gerald Murray was convicted for the murder of 59-year-old Alice Vest. The Florida Supreme Court had overturned Murray's previous convictions because DNA evidence used in the case didn't meet scientific standards.

As a sentencing hearing for Murray (pictured, right) unfolded Tuesday morning, Judge Charles Arnold asked if the jury prayed during their deliberations last week.

When one juror answered that they had, Arnold closed the courtroom to the public and media and talked privately with each juror about an allegation that the foreman called his Bible teacher for spiritual guidance over the death penalty.

It's more than an issue of religion. That Bible teacher is Frank Mackesy, the director of operations for the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office.

While Arnold dismissed the juror, he denied a defense motion for a mistrial. Still, the sentencing couldn't continue because of scheduling problems with witnesses.

The judge apologized to the victim's family and to the jury and asked everyone to return June 19 to try again for a recommendation of either life in prison or the death penalty for Murray"
From my own expericence, last fall when I served on a capital murder case. I ask god for guidance to make the right disscisions.  It is a lot to ask of 12 people to judge a fellow man.  I belive that my prayers were answered when we were hung at 11 to 1 (I was jumping up and down for guilty, and the f***ng nerd with a bow tie could not see the guilt) for like 13 hours and the defandant change his plea and took man 1 with 20 years.  This was a drug deal gone bad, with all kinds of felons and a bunch of bad people. I was hopeing my knowlage of firearms would have got me kicked off.  

FWIW - the weapon used was a ruger 10/22.  

Badredfish [devil]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:28:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top