Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2003 8:54:35 AM EDT
I am in the process of researching a new computer build.  I thought I would give you guys a chance to critique my selections and give advice.

Case: Enermax CSX 003-01WB with 300W P4 ready power supply.

MB:   ASUS P4G8X

CPU: Intel P4 2.8Ghz

Memory:  512 MB Kingston PC2100

Hard Drive:  Western Digital WD1200JB 120MB  8MB buffer, Ultra-ATA 100, 7200 rpm.

Sound Card: Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

CD/DVD:  HP DVE300XI DVD+RW/CDRW

I left out some of the smaller items like floppy drives and network cards for simplicity.  

So what do you think?
Link Posted: 4/27/2003 6:05:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, better than my system. I used to have an ASUS mobo a few systems ago. It looks like you will be able to do just about anything you wanna do with that system. Let us know how it turns out and don't forget the pictures!!

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 4/27/2003 8:22:48 PM EDT
[#2]
This will be my first Pentium build.  I have only used AMD for my first two machines.  I decided I was tired of fighting the heat issue with AMD and the prices are not that much different anymore.

Now I just have to find a good place to order everything.  I have previously used Mwave but shipping with them is higher than some places.  Does anyone have any experience with Newegg?
Link Posted: 4/27/2003 9:04:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice proposed setup,  what chipset is the P4G8X?  (dont follow asus much)

Personally I'd go for Crucial memory.

Would also pick a Sony DRU-300 DVD+-R/RW  (quad mode!)

btw Newegg is awesome!  never had a problem ordering there.
Link Posted: 4/27/2003 9:13:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/27/2003 9:41:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Try [url]www.tigerdirect.com[/url].  I've found their prices to be very competitive.  What are you considering for a video card?
View Quote

Well, crap I left that out unintentionally.  My current pick is and Abit GeForce4 128MB TI4200 8X AGP DDR with TV out.
Link Posted: 4/27/2003 9:51:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Nice proposed setup,  what chipset is the P4G8X?  (dont follow asus much)

Personally I'd go for Crucial memory.

Would also pick a Sony DRU-300 DVD+-R/RW  (quad mode!)

btw Newegg is awesome!  never had a problem ordering there.
View Quote

Actually, looking at my latest revisions I have moved toward the Asus P4PE/L.  It uses Intel 845E for Northbridge and ICH4 for Southbridge.

As for the Sony, I only found the DRU-500 which is about $100 more than the HP.
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 10:16:00 PM EDT
[#7]
My vote is for [url=http://www.newegg.com/index.asp]Newegg[/url]. I'm in California and I have to pay sales tax but I do so because their customer service is excellent.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:25:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Parts arrived last Thursday and it went together like a dream.(knock on wood)

Decided on slightly different parts for now.

Asus P4PE with SATA, Gigabit Lan, and Raid capability.

Decided to ditch DVD burner for now and upgraded the RAM to 1 Gig of 2700.

I am running both my old and new systems from a Belkin KVM switch and connecting to the net from a Linksys router.  Kinda cool to be able to download stuff while I play a game on the other box.  This thing flat out flies and so far has been rock stable no matter what I throw at it.[:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top