Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2004 7:31:57 PM EDT
I new to 'replace' my wife's van with something. Trying to decide on a year end 2004 deal or something a little older so someone else paid for all the depreciation/value loss.

When shopping for a vehicle, how do you buy; new or 'slightly used'.
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Im around the way of get something cheap, my last 2 cars both got messed up several times, the 2 before that also got hurt abit but not as bad as the last two.

Im looking for something old for my next "disposable" car, Im hoping to find a 70s Cordoba
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 7:38:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy her a new vehicle.  Never buy a beater for your wife.
My wifle always gets the new vehicle.  I want her to have
a reliable car.  Don't want her breaking down.  I know new
cars can break down too, however less likely.
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 7:43:11 PM EDT
[#3]
With a brand new car you take a pretty big hit when you drive it off the lot.  It's much cheaper to get a barely used w/low mileage, IMO.
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 7:46:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Im looking for something old for my next "disposable" car, Im hoping to find a 70s Cordoba

Whatever you do, make sure it has the Rich Corintian Leather® option...and maybe even the 400 CID Lean-Burn® V-8...
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 7:47:32 PM EDT
[#5]
its probably cheaper to get a used car but you never know how the people drive the car before you.  it could have low miles but could have been taken into the redline or drove like shit and you would never know.

i would never buy a used car unless it is something that i really want (69 camaro SS) or unless i was down on money.  

id stick to new cars especially if it is for your wife...you wouldnt want her to break down or something else happen to her.  also if you have kids you will feel safer with them in a trustworthy car IMO.
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 7:48:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
With a brand new car you take a pretty big hit when you drive it off the lot.  It's much cheaper to get a barely used w/low mileage, IMO.

+1

I bought an 03 mustang v6 for a commuter car.   I paid $10K vs a new one for $16K+.  Huge difference.    Btw, if you need a family car you might check into a Mercury Grand Marquis.  You will often find them at huge discounts.   They are very soft on the market as they havent really changed in 10+ years.   I've seen them locally as special event used cars (golf tournaments and such) for under $18K.   Very nice cars and very overbuilt for a daily driver.   It's the same chassis that's been used and horribly abused as police cars for many years.    My old 93 has about 165K on it and still runs/looks great.
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 7:50:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whatever you do, make sure it has the Rich Corintian Leather® option...and maybe even the 400 CID Lean-Burn® V-8...

Dont forget the sunroof, hell with the 400, I want a 440 with just headers in it
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 8:05:41 PM EDT
[#8]
New or still in warranty for the wife. Let someone else take the depreciation while you get a clean reliable car. From a dealer, so you have recourse if its a POS or something.
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 8:38:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I went from spending $100K+ a year on vehicles
and losing $20-30 on depreciation  to
only driving vehicles that people throw away .

Of course I have steady supply of customer cars
that they would rather dump then repair . So I buy
them , fix what’s needed and drive them a few months
then sell them , usually at a profit even if its a few hundred
dollars .

Now the only thing I lose is the new car smell .

Besides . It's more fun when you don't give a shit about
the vehicle .  Especially when you find someone taking 2 spaces
in a parking lot with their new shiny car ...........  

Yeah I can squeeze in that 1/2 a spot

If you don’t like it … don’t ask for it  
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 11:33:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Practical side of me:
Newly acquired vehicles should be ~3 years old for the wife and 5+ years old for me.

Fun side of me:
Yes, Mr. Salesman, I'll take that '06 Corvette Z06 with the LS7 500HP 427 for $70 large.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 12:14:01 PM EDT
[#11]
A couple of years ago after some street racing punk slammed into my wife's car and totaled it, we went to Carmax and found her a late model used vehicle. We paid just under $22K for a car that was selling down the street for $38K new.  It's been ultra reliable, and any hesistation to buy used from a reputable company is gone for me.

I'll never buy a new car again.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 12:15:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Buy a reliable brand - like Toyota, Honda, etc

Get one a about two years old, with an extended warranty.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 12:26:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 12:38:58 PM EDT
[#14]
What are you looking for?  Depends on what you want.  There are a lot of good year end deals.  Especially the American cars.  But I would look into a off lease vehicle as well.  Let them take the depreciation hit.  I bought a new truck but only because I could write the monster off for work.  A $41K truck is going to cost me about $17k after tax breaks.  Cant ask for more.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:01:05 PM EDT
[#15]
BTW don't forget Ebay Motors. My last 2 vehicles I found doing a local search and I got great deals
Just an Idea
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:02:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Buy my 2002 Ford F150 SuperCrew!!  Still under warranty and less than 6000 miles on it.

Yes yes, I'm still trying to sell it...
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:13:49 PM EDT
[#17]
If it runs, I'm not complaining.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:15:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Lease new from dealer.  If you drive 15k miles or less in a year it is the far better choice.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:23:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

+1

My current truck is a Toyota 4 Door PreRunner w/ 30k miles.  Got it a year old......for about $10k less than a new one.  New cars are for people who can't add and subtract.......or that have money to throw away.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:27:32 PM EDT
[#20]
buy an old beater, cars are a poor investment, more money you save the more you can spend on guns and ammo.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:50:02 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
buy an old beater, cars are a poor investment, more money you save the more you can spend on guns and ammo.

Which are also poor investments with the exception of Class III and pre-'89 banned items.

When someone spends more than is absolutely necessary on a car they do so because that's their main interest.  It's the same idea when people spend money on boats, guns, motorcycles, gambling, sports tickets, CDs, model airplanes, or whatever interests them the most.

As they say, there's no accounting for taste.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:54:21 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which are also poor investments with the exception of Class III and pre-'89 banned items.

When someone spends more than is absolutely necessary on a car they do so because that's their main interest.  It's the same idea when people spend money on boats, guns, motorcycles, gambling, sports tickets, CDs, model airplanes, or whatever interests them the most.

As they say, there's no accounting for taste.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top