Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2009 10:42:13 AM EDT
Hard at work indeed.

Congressman intros bill requiring cameraphones to "click" for pics

Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:17AM EST

Face to face with the worst economic crisis to face the nation in decades, our leaders are hard at work trying to come to America's aid. The latest legislative salvo? A bill that would require cameraphones to make a sound "audible within a reasonable radius of the phone whenever a photograph is taken with the camera in such phone."

The bill, called the Camera Phone Predator Alert Act, is the brainchild of New York's Peter King, and it's a response to the continued popularity of voyeuristic photos snapped on the sly by those darn kids. King specifically cites adolescents being spied upon "in dressing rooms and public places" in the draft of the bill.

As well, Wired notes that a similar law is already on the books in Japan, where such behavior is practically a national pastime.

But, as Wired also notes, the prospects for King's stateside bill doesn't look entirely rosy. He has no co-sponsor for the action and, a smattering of press reports aside, there hasn't been much interest in the legislation at all.

One supposes that Congress may have other matters at the top of its mind right now than phone-wielding peeping Toms. Just a hunch.

This guy really is a moron isn't he. Get your preban non-clicking cell phones now folks!

Link Posted: 1/27/2009 10:47:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Crazy. Concern that people are taking inappropriate pics with their cell phones was at the top of my list of things I'd hoped someone would do something about.

Seriously!
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 10:49:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 10:49:27 AM EDT
[#3]
i do hate it when people take your picture without your permission though using those damn things..
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 10:49:36 AM EDT
[#4]
dupe
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 10:50:11 AM EDT
[#5]
when upskirt camera phone shots are outlawed, only outlaws will have upskirt camera phone shots!
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 10:50:46 AM EDT
[#6]
So if someone wanted a pic bad enough they will just take theuir slim digital camera. Like my Nikon S6. Smaller than an iPhone. Takes better pics too.
Nobody ever said the gubment was very smart.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 10:51:37 AM EDT
[#7]
When you're out in public, you have no reasonable expectation of privacy.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 10:53:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

dupe

foiled again...and I would have gotten away with it too if it were for you nosy kids!  
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 11:03:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Pointless and easily defeated.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top