Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2015 10:08:11 AM EDT
The thread about modeling amps got me looking at the Mustang series of amps. While browsing the Mustangs I ran across the Super Champ and wanting a tube amp I FO'd.

Looks good next to my home-built 5W tube amp.

I'm running the Champ through an older Behringer GMX210 cabinet in which the amp itself is bad. It sounds good and is very quiet compared to the Fender Deluxe 90 SS amp.
Now a family pic.

You guys are as bad as the guys in the AR15, and ham radio forums spending my $$$.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 12:27:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Tell me about that Jay Turser semi-hollow body... I had a LP clone they made that was solid.

Been pondering a 335 or 339 type in the collection for a bit and that might scratch the itch for a while.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 12:48:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Congrats on the new Super Champ X2!

I just sold my X2 combo recently.  It is a good little amp, but I had moved on to some other amps and didn't really need it anymore.

One thing you should do is download the Fender Fuse software and hook up your amp to the computer and play around with the settings.  You can do a lot with that amp within the software.

For example, I found that the mids were set very high out of the factory.  Of course there is no mid eq knob so you don't know that until you go into the software.  You can also tailor the voicings and effects to be how you want.  

For me, it was almost too tweakable.  I was spending too much time fiddling with it instead of playing through it.  YMMV.

Link Posted: 5/14/2015 5:51:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Congrats!

And if you want a better cab later on, just keep an eye on Craigslist, used cabs are plentiful and cheap.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 6:57:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice! I've been eyeballing on of those as well (loved the Super Champ XD combo I had when they first came out).

Now tell us about the amp you built in the old o'scope chassis!!  That looks awesome.....and perfect for a Ham/Guitarist/Electronics Tech like myself....
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 9:49:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice! I've been eyeballing on of those as well (loved the Super Champ XD combo I had when they first came out).

Now tell us about the amp you built in the old o'scope chassis!!  That looks awesome.....and perfect for a Ham/Guitarist/Electronics Tech like myself....
View Quote

It's actually an old VTVM chassis. I used the power supply in the chassis using a 6X4 rectifier tube and the 0B2 voltage regulator tube for the plate voltage on the 12AX7.
Tube compliment is a 12AX7 pre-amp tube driving a 6BQ5 (EL84) power tube.
ETA - pics

Link Posted: 5/14/2015 9:53:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Congrats on the new Super Champ X2!

I just sold my X2 combo recently.  It is a good little amp, but I had moved on to some other amps and didn't really need it anymore.

One thing you should do is download the Fender Fuse software and hook up your amp to the computer and play around with the settings.  You can do a lot with that amp within the software.

For example, I found that the mids were set very high out of the factory.  Of course there is no mid eq knob so you don't know that until you go into the software.  You can also tailor the voicings and effects to be how you want.  

For me, it was almost too tweakable.  I was spending too much time fiddling with it instead of playing through it.  YMMV.  
View Quote

Already been messing with the Fuse software and you're right! A lot of tweeking possibilities.

Link Posted: 5/14/2015 10:05:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Tell me about that Jay Turser semi-hollow body... I had a LP clone they made that was solid.

Been pondering a 335 or 339 type in the collection for a bit and that might scratch the itch for a while.
View Quote

I have this on-loan from a friend. A couple years ago I mentioned I wanted to try to learn to play so he brought this over to the house and we re-strung it. Since I didn't have an amp at the time, he said this would be best to learn on since it's easy to hear un-amplified. Obviously I now have amps and have tried to give the JT back to him but he refuses to take it back!
It could use a pro setup since it has some string buzz here and there, but it sure does scream! It has lots of tonal possibilities from my limited guitar playing experience. It can sound crisp and twangy to down right dirty with the Peavy Vyper and the Tube Screamer turned on.
I looked on line for the JT and they still make them, but I haven't seen any with the gold hardware. Seems like a pretty well made instrument but it's neck heavy and doesn't balance on the strap like the Strat.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:54:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I got a Super Champ recently.  Still learning how to use the Fender Fuse and settings.  I like it so far,  I have mine routed to a Fender Studio 85 amp right now, but hope to build it's own cabinet in the future.  Took it to a jam session and it held up fine for a weekend.  GL with your amp.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:48:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Here lately I've just been using the Super Champ for clean tones and left the Fuse software alone. If I want crunch and distortion I'll turn on the Peavey Vyper15. Like someone mentioned above the Fuse software is soooo tweekable I spend all my practice time fooling with the software and no time actually playing (hacking).
I will switch through the preset voicing on the 'Champ, but firing up the computer and mucking with the software is on the back burner for now.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:37:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Congrats on your new Super Champ! A buddy of mine just got one, the exclusive Red Wine and Tweed one from Sweetwater. Great sounding amp!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top