Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2006 2:17:00 AM EDT
www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.php?StoryID=20060403-042732-7203r

New York squad cars a hit in Britain

BIRMINGHAM, England, April 3 (UPI) -- New York City police squads, or at least replicas, are the hottest rentals in England, going for $900 a night.

The police cars are popular for proms, bachelor parties and even weddings, the New York Daily News reports. On a few occasions, friends and family have rented them to drive newly released prison inmates home.

"The teenage girls just love it," said Frankie Lancaster, owner of Frankie's Yankees, an agency located Birmingham.

Lancaster's cars, including the two Crown Victorias transformed into squad cars, are mainly rented for movie shoots. When they are not appearing on film, they are available to the general public.

Lancaster and his son, Tyrone, generally act as chauffeurs, dressed in replica NYPD uniforms. He said that they occasionally get stopped by British police curious to see the New York squad cars up close.

He does not expect any trouble from the other side of the Atlantic, saying that Birmingham is well out of NYPD jurisdiction.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:22:27 AM EDT
[#1]
That's fucked up
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:34:07 AM EDT
[#2]
WTF
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:46:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Dubya Tee Eff Mate?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:51:42 AM EDT
[#4]
does Tyrone ride in the back?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:11:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

LOl i keep seeing that fat dude from snatch in that small car! LOL
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:33:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Lancaster's cars, including the two Crown Victorias transformed into squad cars, are mainly rented for movie shoots. When they are not appearing on film, they are available to the general public.

Last time I was in London it didn't look anything like NYC. Car chases down the wrong side of the road wouldn't look right anyways.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:33:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:49:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.php?StoryID=20060403-042732-7203r

New York squad cars a hit in Britain

BIRMINGHAM, England, April 3 (UPI) -- New York City police squads, or at least replicas, are the hottest rentals in England, going for $900 a night.

The police cars are popular for proms, bachelor parties and even weddings, the New York Daily News reports. On a few occasions, friends and family have rented them to drive newly released prison inmates home.

"The teenage girls just love it," said Frankie Lancaster, owner of Frankie's Yankees, an agency located Birmingham.

1st iv'e heard of this!  

Lancaster and his son, Tyrone, generally act as chauffeurs, dressed in replica NYPD uniforms. He said that they occasionally get stopped by British police curious to see the New York squad cars up close.

He does not expect any trouble from the other side of the Atlantic, saying that Birmingham is well out of NYPD jurisdiction.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:54:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Well that's just odd.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:59:04 AM EDT
[#10]
If they have ever smelled the inside of a real one they would change their mind
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:59:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I can't believe someone would actually pay money to ride in the back of a cop car.

I wonder if they smell like a NYPD car in the back?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:03:09 AM EDT
[#12]
If they like that, they'd love a Philly paddy wagon, complete with chunks of flesh on the steel mesh in back of the driver.  Accumulated over the years by slamming the brakes and "waffling" the drunks in back.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:09:24 AM EDT
[#13]
GB is a countrydesperate for some real law enforcement. Maybe someday things will get bad enough that they will demand it.  The right to bear arms would be a good idea too.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:10:40 AM EDT
[#14]
It's probably the first time they've been in a car with a V-8.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:12:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Bloomberg will probably be suing them for using the NYPD logo without authorization.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:13:56 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I wonder if they smell like a NYPD car in the back?

Only after the French tourists rent it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:20:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Blues Brother's quote:
I can't believe you picked me up from prison in a police car.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:24:19 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I can't believe someone would actually pay money to ride in the back of a cop car.

I paid lots to ride in the back of a cop car.
It was a guy in a black rope who collected the fee though LOL
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:34:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Well, London Taxi Cabs are a hit in some US cities, it was bound to happen.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:40:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Where's Wave? Time to get laid!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:41:59 AM EDT
[#21]
There's a late 70s black and white Dodge Monaco that drives around Dublin...

I think the driver's a Blues Brothers fan though.

NTM
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:45:19 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn

Tyrone's a professional driver - aren't you Tyrone?  'Course I am.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:09:40 PM EDT
[#23]
is that a tea cozy on his head?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top