Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 12/28/2005 12:48:22 PM EDT
... London town, is too dog gone cold.

hey hey - I just have to chime in about my last week. I went to the big city, New York, New York for a week. It was a present from my wife for my birthday. We saw 4 shows.

A one man Star Wars show - one hour, all the parts, music, and sound effects, all three movies (scenes edited, of course)

Spamalot - with Tim Currie, Hank Azaria, and David Hyde Peirce. The lead female role (name escapes me) was the original too, and she won a Tony for her role (she was great). The show was hilarious, and my favorite song was "You cant make it on Broadway if you dont have any Jews".

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels - as a musical it was "ok", but John Lithgow was in it and he is just brialliant to watch!

Wicked - the only good thing about the transit strike was people canceled their tickets, and we got BITCHING seats, Row K, near the center. Fantastic. This was a more traditional musical, but wonderfully done and Ben Vereen was the Wizard! Great story - I wanna read the book now.

I went to MoMA, the Met, the Natural History Museum, The Statue of Liberty, and Ground Zero.

Great time - wanna go back. Anyone who hasnt been, should go!

Oh and the whole stigma of New Yorkers being rude, at least in Manhattan, they were overwelmingly nice. I had a lady GIVE UP HER SEAT as we waited in the foyer for the Wicked hall to open up (I think she heard me grumble about my pain). And a guy from the Bronx at the statue of liberty volunteered info to save me money getting back to civilization from down town.

We stayed at a friend of the families apartment on 65th st, behind Lincoln Center - so we were within walking distance of a lot of stuff. (even with the strike).

Not a bad place for a bunch of gun hating liberals ;o) I also liked the fact that you can walk around and hear 10 different languages. It really is the big ol' melting pot! And I LOVED LOVED LOVED the art! And the Met's Arms and Armor collection was great (and I have seen the stuff in the British Museum). Thanks to everyone for the advice given earlier.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:57:23 PM EDT
NYC is the greatest city in world, no doubt.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:59:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NoVaGator:

Glad you like it, I'll pass
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:00:43 PM EDT

Except only the thugs and the cops are armed.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:00:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MTUSA:

Glad you like it, I'll pass

+1
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:02:45 PM EDT
Funky Nassau.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:06:08 PM EDT

Nope, that would be Boston.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:09:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By thelastgunslinger:

NY is one of safest large cities in America, and considerably safer than many medium sized cities.

I've never really felt the need to carry in NYC, however I do in places like Tampa, Richmond, etc.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:10:54 PM EDT
New York is a cesspool. You did not see the real city. You should have gone to the lower east side, Harlem, the south Bronx, Bedford-Stuyvesant,... On second thought, as a tourist, maybe it's better that you didn't.

In their favor, I will admit (having seen it myself, first-hand) that when the SHTF, New Yorkers revert to being just normal people who look out for each other. But on any other given day, Brother, you'd better look out.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:14:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Mike_Mills:
New York is a cesspool. You did not see the real city. You should have gone to the lower east side, Harlem, the south Bronx, Bedford-Stuyvesant,... On second thought, as a tourist, maybe it's better that you didn't.

In their favor, I will admit (having seen it myself, first-hand) that when the SHTF, New Yorkers revert to being just normal people who look out for each other. But on any other given day, Brother, you'd better look out.

I could go to some shit hole villiage in Mexico, but I would rather see Cancun.

We have slums where I live, I dont need to go to the other bouroughs to see it. I wanna see the BEST of what the city has to offer. Remember, this city *IS* one of the best in the world. As far as from the art side of things, I saw sooooo much stuff that the pics on my camera could be used to write art history books. I went to see shows and museums. If I wanna see poor people, Ill go to "8th st and Vine".
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:15:29 PM EDT
Its very high on my Top 10 List of Places NOT to go.

+2 on the I'll pass

.....accidentally passed thru when depoloying to the Sand Land. other than a layover.....I could care friggen less about the place
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:37:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By quijanos:
Its very high on my Top 10 List of Places NOT to go.

+2 on the I'll pass

.....accidentally passed thru when depoloying to the Sand Land. other than a layover.....I could care friggen less about the place

Thats kinda sad. I dont wanna LIVE there. And I don't approve of the general political mindset there. But the fact is that they have a crap ton of history and entertainment to see.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:43:09 PM EDT
So does alot of other US Cities.

One that could elect a foreign transplanted corrupt beast? Yeah they have history. But a what expense.

One of the reasons I wasn't surprised at WTC. The place is a big target for those who care to take off the blinders. Not shitting in your thread but I just don't care for the "feel" of the big city.

Visit Houston some time. You'll say the same.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:49:05 PM EDT

One that could elect a foreign transplanted corrupt beast? Yeah they have history. But a what expense.

One of the reasons I wasn't surprised at WTC. The place is a big target for those who care to take off the blinders. Not shitting in your thread but I just don't care for the "feel" of the big city.

There is no US city that has anywhere near the volume and variety of history, museums, sights, etc as NYC does.

I don't follow your 9/11 logic.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:57:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2005 1:58:34 PM EDT by quijanos]

There is no US city that has anywhere near the volume and variety of history, museums, sights, etc as NYC does.

Well then you have never heard of a little Texas town called Houston.
Nowhere Near? Sir stand corrected......

Houston:
Restaurant capital of the world.

.......straight from the Theatre District's Site:

The Houston Theater District is ranked second in the nation for the number of theater seats in a concentrated downtown area and is one of only five cities with permanent professional resident companies in all of the major performing arts disciplines of opera, ballet, music, and theater.

Houston Museum District is pretty impressive as well.

Check your facts.

eta
Its just bigger here
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:58:27 PM EDT

Houston:

The Houston Theater District is ranked second in the nation for the number of theater seats in a concentrated downtown area and is one of only five cities with permanent professional resident companies in all of the major performing arts disciplines of opera, ballet, music, and theater.

Check your facts.

that's rich
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:59:39 PM EDT

Houston:

Check your facts.

that's rich

Haven't been there have you?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:02:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2005 2:03:34 PM EDT by NoVaGator]

Houston:

Check your facts.

that's rich

Haven't been there have you?

Houston? Of course I have. I regulary stay at the Magnolia. I'll be there in 2 weeks for the Houston Marathon.

There's plenty of stuff to do in Houston. But NY it ain't.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:08:17 PM EDT
I'm going to start planning my trip to the Big Apple soon. My best buddy (Handsome Rob here) is getting married, and will be stationed in DC (his wife, actually... she's USAF) for a couple years. I'm gonna plan to visit for his birthday (end of April) and then go up to NYC to visit my younger sister. Might drag Rob and his bride with me and do some sightseeing.

I plan on doing LOTS of sightseeing in DC and in NYC... I'm gonna put the shiny new digital camera to work!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:36:22 PM EDT
You know what they say - Statisics can be twisted to support your arguement.

Houston is a pit. Sorry. It is, and yes I have been there. Austin is a much nicer city, so is San Antonio.

Its great they have so many theatres - and I dont doubt they have a thriving theatre culture. Thats great! Chicago does too. But the Tony awards seem to land in the laps of people on Broadway, vs Houston.

And aside from the theatres, there is the 1/2 dozen other reason I have listed.

And as for being a target for 9/11 - no shit. NYC is our largest and richest city with the tallest buildings and where our western "culture" often originate (art, fashion, etc). If they flew a plane into Houston there would have been a chance no one would notice ;0)
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:08:12 PM EDT
For those of you who don't foresee visiting NYC, I hear that some NY State Troopers may be coming to a town near you.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=421486

They'll perform a musical for you called "You're Going To Jail".
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:13:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TomF32:

Nope, that would be Boston.

Having been to both a number to times, I would disagree with you.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:17:53 PM EDT
I would go back if I could afford it, and they give me a carry permit but people in hell will get ice water before that...
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:27:54 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:37:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 82ndAbn:
Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip. Sounds like a great birthday present.

How was the chow?

OH - great point! Man - I only had ONE bad meal in NYC, and that was some hole in the wall pizzaria. It was filthy and their pizza sucked.

Everywhere else I ate, though, had GREAT food. And it was intersting how many places had a wierd variety to offer. This one place we went into looked like it was run/frequented by jews, and had everything from italian to sushi.

Most places also had remarkably clean bathrooms - with care to decorate them with paint or marble.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:42:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Mister44:
... London town, is too dog gone cold.

hey hey - I just have to chime in about my last week. I went to the big city, New York, New York for a week. It was a present from my wife for my birthday. We saw 4 shows.

A one man Star Wars show - one hour, all the parts, music, and sound effects, all three movies (scenes edited, of course)

Luke be a Jedi tonight............

I really want to visit NYC too.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:55:18 PM EDT
Went with my Brother (from Houston) a year and a half ago...Wouldn't want to raise a family there but if I were a young single man I could see spending a year or 2 there...BTW, we saw Chicago with Paige Davis (from Trading Spaces) in the lead role..Stage was full of long legged women dancing in high heels and black hose...worth every penny
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:53:16 PM EDT
San Francisco is better. Prettier, better food, nicer climate, friendlier girls, easier to drive in.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:40:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Mister44:
I also liked the fact that you can walk around and hear 10 different languages. It really is the big ol' melting pot!

I think that would piss me off. Doesn't sound like a melting pot to me.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:43:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 82ndAbn:
Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip. Sounds like a great birthday present.

How was the chow?

arent you going to get in on this about if new york sucks or not
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:45:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GunLvrPHD:
San Francisco is better. Prettier, better food, nicer climate, friendlier girls, easier to drive in.

The only problem there is that if you drop your wallet, you have to kick it to Oakland before you bend over and pick it up.

Baker City, Oregon is the best city.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:50:03 PM EDT
You weren't there long enough and only saw a tiny fraction of the city.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:57:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:28:08 PM EDT
NYC is a fun place to visit, wouldn't want to live there, since I'm a small town boy. Place drives me nuts if I stay there overnight too many days in a row.

However, NYC is not one city, but many- you can view it from many perspectives. Try doing, for example, a Revolutionary War historical tour of NYC- the importance of NYC (and NJ) in our nation's birth is phenomenal. Such a tour could take months, if you did it right, since there is so much to see and do, just in that area of interest alone.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:31:22 PM EDT
I'll pass on going therer
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:54:48 AM EDT
I am very proud to be from NYC, but you would have to pay me A LOT of money to even consider moving back.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:29:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 95thFoot:
NYC is a fun place to visit, wouldn't want to live there, since I'm a small town boy. Place drives me nuts if I stay there overnight too many days in a row.

However, NYC is not one city, but many- you can view it from many perspectives. Try doing, for example, a Revolutionary War historical tour of NYC- the importance of NYC (and NJ) in our nation's birth is phenomenal. Such a tour could take months, if you did it right, since there is so much to see and do, just in that area of interest alone.

Good point.

I don't think most people realize the sheer volume of Rev War history on the island of Manhattan.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:50:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By thelastgunslinger:

heh, guess again!

very cool vacation! i got a hankering to go back soon...
Top Top