Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2006 3:59:43 PM EDT
I just got a D-Link router from Newegg.  I don't know anything about them.

I've got DSL here, already going on a 100 Base T wired network.  I already have my existing router and just want to add this one for the wireless connection (think quick and easy).  If I connect the Wlan port from the new router to the normal port on the existing router, it does not work.  I really want to keep the existing router.  Any ideas? Do I need a special cable to do this?

Thanks,
Eric

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:01:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:02:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you set the new router up for "Obtain IP Automatically" in the router settings for WAN when you plugged it in like that?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:02:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
you probably need to plug into the uplink port on the existing router or use a crossover cable.

Shouldnt need to at all.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:03:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
you probably need to plug into the uplink port on the existing router or use a crossover cable.

My existing router does not have a Uplink port.  I forgot about that.  How do I build a crossover cable?

Thanks,
Eric

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:05:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I have Verizon DSL, and a wireless router too.  With DSL it's neither quick or easy to set up.  I don't remember how it works, but you should call your DSL company to guide you through the process.  It isn't plug and play, I know that much.  It was actually kind of frustrating.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:05:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My existing router does not have a Uplink port.  I forgot about that.  How do I build a crossover cable?

Thanks,
Eric

You really should not need to do that, I am sure you can make it work without making a crossover cable.  The uplink port shouldnt be an issue either.  Make sure the settings in the new router are correct before changing cabling.

I am a wireless engineer, I do this all the time (with superior Linksys products though).
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:06:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:11:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks,
Eric

You really should not need to do that, I am sure you can make it work without making a crossover cable.  The uplink port shouldnt be an issue either.  Make sure the settings in the new router are correct before changing cabling.

OK I am logged on the new router now with my laptop via wireless.  I can't get to the net however. Win XP

Do I have to set this router to look at the DSL modem or something like that or is that a laptop setting?  I got this wirebased network going a few years ago and have not messed with it much since then..

Thanks for the help!

Eric
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:13:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Just set the router to "Obtain IP Automatically" or "DHCP" in the WAN (Internet) settings.  As long as its a switch on the DSL modem you are plugged into, it should work fine.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:13:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-ethernet-crossover.asp

why do you want to keep the old router anyway? Do you need that many ports ? Just replacing with the new one would probably be easiest.

Yeah I need 5 ports now
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:18:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Cant you transfer some of the cables to your wireless router?

Everyone I've seen has 4 ports in the back as well....
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:19:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd tell you but you don't want to take compooter advice from me.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:20:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-ethernet-crossover.asp

why do you want to keep the old router anyway? Do you need that many ports ? Just replacing with the new one would probably be easiest.

Yeah I need 5 ports now

Or you can just plug a cheap switch into one of the 4 ports on the router, and split it up from there.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:21:08 PM EDT
[#14]
What is this MAC address thing?  I never seen that before.  

I want to have five conections now and figured I should be able to do it with two routers....
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:22:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:22:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
What is this MAC address thing?  I never seen that before.  

I want to have five conections now and figured I should be able to do it with two routers....

MAC address thing?  Can you be a little more specific than "thing"?

Are you talking about MAC address filtering?  If so - you can limit the wireless network to only allow or disallow specific MAC addresses.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:25:16 PM EDT
[#17]
It looks like the DHCP client is disconnected.  Not sure how to connect.  

Here is the way it's wired up right now:

DSK modem
Wan Port
Wan Port
Old Router
Port 1
Wan Port
New Router

What do you think?  Will this work
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:27:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Are you talking about MAC address filtering?  If so - you can limit the wireless network to only allow or disallow specific MAC addresses.  

Under the WAN tab, there is a button for "clone MAC Address"

Thanks for bearing with me.  I'd buy you a nice cold Canadian beer if you were here

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:28:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:34:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
make sure your new router has the correct default gateway

and don't fool with that MAC addresses

That's the gateway address of the DSL modem, Right?

Here's another thing I have noticed.  

Under the WAN tab, there are options for

Dynamic IP Address       (choose this option to obtain IP address
                                     Automaticly from you ISP. (for most Cable Modem users)

Static IP Address

PPPoE                           Choss this option if your ISP Uses PPoE. (for most DSL users)

I have PPoE Selected, but under the Satus Tab, I see that the PPoE is not connecting and failing.
The Dynamic IP address did not seen to work either, so I am kinda stuck.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:38:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I don't see where to change the Defualt gateway......
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:45:40 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

and don't fool with that MAC addresses

That's the gateway address of the DSL modem, Right?

Here's another thing I have noticed.  

Under the WAN tab, there are options for

Dynamic IP Address       (choose this option to obtain IP address
                                     Automaticly from you ISP. (for most Cable Modem users)

Static IP Address

PPPoE                           Choss this option if your ISP Uses PPoE. (for most DSL users)

I have PPoE Selected, but under the Satus Tab, I see that the PPoE is not connecting and failing.
The Dynamic IP address did not seen to work either, so I am kinda stuck.

If this is the new router you are talking about, dont use PPPoE.  You are allready connected with the other one.  Use Dynamic IP address.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:58:38 PM EDT
[#23]
OK, I am using Dynamic IP address

I just don't see where to enter the gateway address....
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:00:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:00:17 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

It -should- get the default gateway automatically with that setting.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:01:31 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It -should- get the default gateway automatically with that setting.

That's what I would have thought.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:02:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:09:00 PM EDT
[#28]
THANKS!!!!!!

It just started working.  I repowered everything and I am off to the races.

Thanks for your help guys!!!!

I owe you all a cold one

Eric

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:13:04 PM EDT
[#29]
don't you have a C D with the link?  I have DSL into a MAC and then to a Windows system and D-Link was very helpful in getting me connected properly and putting in correct settings...give them a call...
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:14:10 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
THANKS!!!!!!

It just started working.  I repowered everything and I am off to the races.

Thanks for your help guys!!!!

I owe you all a cold one

Eric

You are welcome
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:15:01 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
don't you have a C D with the link?  I have DSL into a MAC and then to a Windows system and D-Link was very helpful in getting me connected properly and putting in correct settings...give them a call...

NEVER use the cd that comes with the router.  NEVER.  If it has web based management, use that instead.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top