Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2002 10:26:36 AM EDT
I'm replacing the A1 upper on my pre-ban 14.5" with a flattop. Do I need to keep the old upper after the work is done. I've had offers to buy the old one but not sure if I need to keep all the old parts to stay legal.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 10:51:26 AM EDT
[#1]
You only need to keep around enough parts to build the rifle into a pre-ban config - not the exact original parts that came with it.

If your new flat-top upper is in post-ban config, you'll need to make sure you've got a pre-ban config upper or an evil telestock somewhere around.  If the new upper's already a pre-ban config, no worries.

Keeping parts around to assemble the AW is only necessary for maintaining its grandfathered status if it's not a Colt SP1 or a Colt AR15-A2 Sporter II, or a Colt AR-15A3 Tactical Carbine, since those rifles are preban by name and not by features count.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 12:10:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I should have been more specific in my first post. I am replacing the upper [u]RECEIVER[/u] with a flattop. I am keeping the same barrel on the gun. (Funny the difference one word makes! [B)])

Eventually I may get another barrel and entire upper assembly to switch off with the original barrel. I know that I'll have to keep the short barrel around.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top