Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2011 12:24:32 PM EDT
I've got a brand new pair of Levis 501's. They are not prewashed/preshrunk. I need to shrink them as I would all the other LEVIS 501's I've owned. But I want to keep them as dark as possible for as long as possible.

I've heard of soaking them in vinegar to fix the dye. I've heard not to wash in hot or dry on hot to keep them from fading. I've heard to wash and dry in hot in order to shrink. I want to do both at the same time.

What do I do???

For the record, I have a modern front loading high capacity High Effeiciency washer and dryer. Not quite the same as the old top loaders where you could fill up the washer, add vinegar and then add the jeans.

Thanks in advance for the help!!!
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:29:03 PM EDT
A friend always said to pre-soak them in a vinegar/water mix (50/50??).  Never tried it, though.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:31:23 PM EDT

Just wash hot and dry hot the first time then only do cold forever after.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:33:01 PM EDT
http://www.denimblog.com/c/forum/thread/148896/raw-denim-guide-411-start-here

lots of good denim info here.

I dont know if you cruise 4chan or not, but i remember seeing a huge thread about the care and treatment for raw or unwashed denim in the fashion forum or /fa/.

I googled "4chan archive denim guide" and it was one of the first results.  but its very similar to the first link.  be advised, the ads on 4chan's archive pages are NSFW.  

good luck.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:33:01 PM EDT
I was going to be a smartass and post the results of a Google search for you, but the third result was this thread.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:33:19 PM EDT
Wash them in cold water first.
This will set the dye in and make them stay blue longer than if you were to wash them in hot water.

I have been wearing this brand of pant for about 40 years now.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:34:02 PM EDT
First find your penis and re attatch it then get your wife to do the laundry
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:36:49 PM EDT
I can't believe you bought Levis. Levi Strauss contributes larges sums of money to anti-gun/freedom causes.

Sell them on Ebay and donate the proceeds to the NRA, (do it now before it's too late)
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:40:53 PM EDT
Quoted:

Hahahahahaha! Just what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:59:22 PM EDT
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^If only this was the first post.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ETA: Can't even quote right.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 3:40:57 PM EDT
Quoted:

She is going to do it. How else am I supposed to find out to tell her what to do? She's too busy making me sammiches to find out herself.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 3:43:42 PM EDT
Quoted:
I can't believe you bought Levis. Levi Strauss contributes larges sums of money to anti-gun/freedom causes.

Sell them on Ebay and donate the proceeds to the NRA, (do it now before it's too late)

They were a gift. I wear LEVIS 501's and have plenty. I love the way they fit. But I only spend my money on second hand vintage jeans in thrift stores. Thanks for the tip though. Maybe somebody else didn't know these facts.

I also do not use Ebay or Paypal for the same reasons. How 'bout you?

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 3:53:00 PM EDT
Wear them while taking a hot shower then walk around the block a few miles until they dry out.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 3:53:56 PM EDT
Those jeans make your ass look fat.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 4:11:23 PM EDT
Did you know that Levi recommends not washing them for six months, and even after that only washing them occasionally?
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 4:46:12 PM EDT
Quoted:
Did you know that Levi recommends not washing them for six months, and even after that only washing them occasionally?

Yeah, I know. I need them to shrink though. I usually get secondhand 501's so washing them right away is not a concern. But with new unwashed 501's, you have to have them a little large to allow for the shrinkage when you wash them. I usually get about 10 wears between washing my dark jeans. A little less for the older more faded pairs. 501 shrink to fit LEVIS usually end up shrinking a whole size in the waist and an inch or more in length in the first few washes.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 5:01:16 PM EDT
Wash them inside out. Strangely enough, this does seem to help keep them from fading.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 7:47:18 PM EDT
Thanks guys. I think the plan is to soak in white vinegar then wash hot dry hot. Hopefully the vinegar will set the color enough that the heat from washing won't fade too badly.
An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator.

If you are the system administrator please click here to find out more about this error.