Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/17/2001 11:54:32 AM EDT
I'm going to buy a new truck.  Should I buy a Ford or a Chevy?  If neither, what should I get and why?
[:K]
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 12:01:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Get the new Dodge Quad cab, those fullsizes rock.  Why?  Because Ford hasn't made anything good since 41 and Chevy is still the same.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 12:06:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Dodge, baby.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 12:06:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had them all and I prefer Chevy.  They just drive better, run better, and look better to me, and they have fewer problems.  Just my .02.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 12:09:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Depends on what you are going to do with it.
If you're going to work it hard, go FORD.
If it's going to be a pleasure vehicle, Chevys ride better, look better, and are generally more comfortable.
I have never liked Dodge. No special reason, just don't like 'em.
Edited to add:
Go full-size. You will always wish you had, if you don't.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 12:11:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I have been in the car business for 8 years befor my cake job at a harley dealer. I would go with the Ford because the fit and finish will stay better over time than the others. Chevy's squeak rattle and have a lot of trim and fit and finish problems, Dodge are slightly better then chevy on that. I see you are in GA, if you need a hook up on a Ford I can help you out, or if you woould rather go Dodge I was a salesmanager at a dodge store prior to coming to H-D. Drop me an Email if you want!

[beer]
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 12:12:04 PM EDT
[#6]
The other could be like a GMC, but the Toyota , if you want to drive a FOREIGN truck, go to JAPAN and buy a FORD!!!! . THIS IS AMERICA!!!  DUH!!!
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 12:12:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Are we talking 3/4 ton? Extended cab?
I have a F-150 with an extended cab, the new chevrolets have more cab space and if I had to buy now it'd be the chevrolet.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 12:24:40 PM EDT
[#8]
In every war..in every crap hole where a truck needs to run and work..you'll find two trucks
A unimog..probably too pricey
A toyota..
Say what you will...made in japan...blah blah blah....Its a damn good product
Its like buying a motorcycle...do you want one you can ride...or do you want a harley
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 12:30:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Hmmm. I have a 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 (V6/AT/ 2WD, shortbed, std cab) that I really like.
Great interior. NVH (noise/vibration, harshness) not bad - smooth ride, better than the others.

Nevertheless it is lightly built - but that's prob similar in other brands given emissions/ mileage tax pressure. Ford seems to be having an elevated number of QC problems in general so that's why I leaned toward the GMC/Chevy. After I saw the crash tests, I'm glad, too.  Dodges just seemed *way* too cheesy on interior (I've rented a couple), and *all* the folks I know with Dodge Ram basic trucks (i.e, not heavy-duty or 4WD) seem to be in Leak City.

Fit/finish on my GMC is good. Perfect paint job (no bubbles, etc.)  Door squeak fixed w/moly lube (hey, I had some for the ARs ;-).  GREAT SEATS even in basic SL model. I do need to go in and have the heat shields tightened down since they're a tad rattly now - no big thing, still in warranty anyway.  Love the Vortec V6 - 205HP, yet 20mpg on freeway w/overdrive A/T.

Nevertheless, after riding/driving a Tundra, I'd get one - providing they'd make a short bed w/std cab. Price is about the same (i.e., +/- $500), and it just seems tighter & more solid.  

20yrs ago, crappy labor/unmotivated work force plus poor products led to American car decline.
With new lines, labor is less of an issue now;
product problems and quality issues seem to be more design-related, instigated by penny-pinching Harvard MBAs sacrificing long-term market share for quick balance-sheet profits.

I used to be a "Buy American". Still am, somewhat.  But I won't hobble myself with an inferior product just to do that. Ultimately if market share drops further in US auto mfg, shareholders/boards will get nervous and make the necessary improvements.

-Bill Wiese
-San Mateo, CA
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 12:35:29 PM EDT
[#10]
kindstranger,
What are you going to use it for?

I've owned 4 Chevys, 5 Fords, 1 Dodge, 1 Mercedes Benz (Yeah, a pickup -- honest!)   1 Toyota, & 1 Nissan since 1973. They've [u]all[/u] got strengths and weaknesses.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 12:37:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Toyota.

Cuz they run forever.

They are American made.

They have higher resale value.

Do ya need more???

Link Posted: 12/17/2001 12:39:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 12:48:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Another thing I can't stand is all these losers that buy Japanese cars and trucks and plaster American flags all over them in a show of patriotic support, I would say someone driving an American vehicle with no flag displayed is way more patriotic than you "Americans" that bought from shores abroad...JMHO...Bob
[50]
View Quote

Bob -

Nissans are made in Smyrna Tenn by American workers.

Toyotas are made in Georgetown, Kentucky by American workers.

Hondas are made in Ohio by American workers. My brother used to be one of them.

Further, even if the car DID come over on the boat, it employed American dock workers, American truck drivers, American detailers, salesmen, car store owners etc etc etc to get it ready for sale over here.

Comparatively, MANY Fords are made in Canada. (Crown Vics most notably, which is a staple of many American police Depts.)

It ain't as simple as "Buy American" anymore my friend.

Link Posted: 12/17/2001 1:02:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 1:05:10 PM EDT
[#15]
What kind of truck? If you are going to buy a 1500 chassis it is really a toss up.  If you want a bigger truck I would get a superduty.  The superduty is the best full-size truck on the road right now.  When it comes down to it, you really can't go wrong with any of them.  Drive them all and decide what you like, but first decide the exact setup you want and compare those that are most alike.  Drive them all back to back if possible. Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 1:06:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Chevy!!!! My '88 Scottsdale ran like a champ with no major work whatsoever for 171,000 before I upgraded to my 2000 Silverado LT. It's got 41,000 on it and runnin great. Only Chevy's for this good 'ole boy [^]
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 1:13:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The $$ still goes to Japan my "Friend"
View Quote

Which dollars are those??

The payroll dollars Joe paycheck takes home from working in the Toyota auto plant to put food on his families table?? Do you hold an animus toward him for working for "the enemy?"??

How about the property tax revenues the local towns collect from these corporations, reducing the tax rates all the "real" Americans pay???

What about the Federal Corporate taxes these "foreign " companies pay that help our military to be able to buy Daisy Cutters to wax al Queda with???

What about all the millions of dollars these "foreign" corporations give to charities for "real" Americans, that would DISAPPEAR if us "disloyal" Americans stopped buying American made Toyotas???

Again, you are oversimplifying things. I'm trying to be nice here. But your simlistic attitude is simply wrong. The picture is bigger than "foreign" = "bad."

Link Posted: 12/17/2001 1:15:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 1:18:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Sorry bout the way that response sounded Garandman, between one of my stocks taking a nose dive today and the wife bitching me out every three seconds I shouldn't have posted that crappy response, apoligies Bob
View Quote

No sweat, bro. Anyone with money in the market these days has well-deserved RIGHT to be a little on the edge.

Stay away from tall buidings and sharp objects [:D]

Think long-term. Forget about the small bumps along the way.

Link Posted: 12/17/2001 1:19:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Gman I agree with all you have said above except this:
Quoted:
How about the property tax revenues the local towns collect from these corporations, reducing the tax rates all the "real" Americans pay???
View Quote

Unfortunately most towns give massive exceptions to the big corporations to come to thier town. They are time limited and when the time is up the company threatens to move its facility rather than pay the tax. Then the towns renew the exception rather than fear everyone in town losing their jobs.

[beer]
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 1:45:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Gman I agree with all you have said above except this:
Quoted:
View Quote

Unfortunately most towns give massive exceptions to the big corporations to come to thier town. They are time limited and when the time is up the company threatens to move its facility rather than pay the tax. Then the towns renew the exception rather than fear everyone in town losing their jobs.

[beer]
View Quote

Actually, typically, the towns receive a fee in lieu of taxes, which is a lump sum, up front payment, usually in teh hundreds of thousands of dollars. Which STILL works out to be less than teh tax dollars they would have paid over time. But it is also beneficial for teh towns to get the money up front.

But like you say, much hanky panky goes on later on.

Another issue I did NOT address are all teh small mom and pop support operations the BIG companies bring in. BMW did this for our area, bringing MORE jobs, AND other small companies that DO NOT get the tax breaks the BIG guys get.

Small points I am making, I will concede, but maybe a more complete treatment of the subject.

Thanx,

garandman
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 2:05:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Bobjitsu:
Sorry bout the way that response sounded Garandman, between one of my stocks taking a nose dive today and the wife bitching me out every three seconds I shouldn't have posted that crappy response, apoligies Bob
View Quote

Damn, I was getting ready to argue with you Bobj,,, guess I'll (kinda) agree now.[;D]

I''ve always liked Chevys better for the ride. If my wife is going to have to use a truck I want it to act like a car as much as possible (so does she), & Chevy comes closest.
I bounce back & forth between GM & Ford, I quit arguing the "Chevy Vs Ford" thing 20 years ago -- you can't win because there's no right answer. I like them both.

The Ford Super Duty DOES look like it'll make one rugged, long-running SOB, & it's getting more tempting every day.  I've only owned two trucks that made it past a quarter million miles. One was a plain ol' 79 F-100 (big straight-six), the other was an 88 Nissan (V-6).

[i]BTW, I AM comparing apples to apples, I'm only talking about trucks I've bought NEW.[/i]
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 2:12:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I am constantly amazed with the speed a particular thread will digress to an argument.
OK, now for my .02.....

Compact Truck - Toyota Tundra
1/2 ton (1500 series) - Chevy/GMC
3/4 ton and over - Ford Super Duty- powerstroke if you can afford it.

Dodge has problems with Nylon dog gears in their transmissions which equals failure at heavy loads or with high heat.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 2:23:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Ford F-150 SuperCrew, I bought it for my wife and it's great. Still getting increased favors even after a year.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 3:09:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Bobjitsu wrote:
You Dodge, Chevy, and Toyota strokes can yap all ya want, Ford has sold the most full size trucks for the past 24 years....
View Quote

FACT is GM trucks DO outsell Ford (found on road dead)as the GMC and Chevy name's sales are not added together in Ford's analisys.  Same truck, just two different names.

Friggin Old Road Duds have harsh suspension because they are less developed IMHO.  The light duty grocery getters like extended cab 6' bed jokes are for people who do not need trucks in the first place.  Once you move into 3/4 ton then they become trucks.  Even then there is light and heavy capacity.  Need to look at the GVW rating as well as know curb weight of the unit you are looking at.  GVW is on the door sticker.  Finding curb weight is like pulling teeth!!  Difference is load capacity.

Extended cab is VERY handy!  Add an 8' bed so the thing is useful and it gets kinda long.  Parking can be an adventure.  Go to a dually and it is more like a nasty chore.  Ride of the extended 8' is great - that long wheelbase (like real American cars HAD.) really makes them better to drive.  Smoother and less "twitchy".  A Tahoe which IMO beats "grocery" truck is a little twitchy until you get used to it, do to shorter wheelbase.  For rthe ultimate in decent legth heavy grocery gettin comfort try a Suburban!

Chevy is better engineered and are good vehicles.  Ford aren't nearly as bad as Dodge but VERY hard to work on - always have been.

I own a 2001 Chevy Extended 8' bed 3/4 ton HD, 9200 GVW.  Lots of truck.  Haul 2200 LB in it full time.  Rides good, 13.5 MPG, better on long trips.  Zero warranty repairs as yet in 24000 miles.  Too damn much rubber trim which I don't care for and too high off the ground as it is a 2wd but a 4wd based chassis.  For sure, step or running board is required.  Now got a damn airbags unlike older 3/4 ton.  Just a fuse to disable the %^&*#@ things but I still had to buy them!!! grrrrr! 1st one I have had that had real BRAKES!  4w disk and it WILL stop, unlike the 98.  Does great with trailer.  I'm pleased.

Choices and opinions abound!  Have fun shopping!
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 3:12:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Get teh ford lightning.

Awsome truck.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 3:46:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Chevrolet or GMC is your only choice.

Check the NADA used car/truck guide or the Black Book wholesale book and you will find that GM truck products are holding there value better.  You may ask "so what".  Better trade in value later in the trucks life...that is real money.

Newer designed trucks from GM. Ford & Dodge are older design.

Check out their stock prices.  Ford & Dodge are raping their R&D funds to help prop up the bottom line. This will hurt their new future products & how much they might help out a customer in the future.

With these new trucks GM is now just getting into the crew cab, 3/4 or 1 ton market.

Overall, you need to go to the dealers and test drive Ford, Dodge & GM.

Good luck on your purchase.  Rates & rebates are great now to purchase trucks.

Is spell check working?
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 4:21:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You Dodge, Chevy, and Toyota strokes can yap all ya want, Ford has sold the most full size trucks for the past 24 years,
View Quote

Well not if you count the Chevy and the GMC name brands.   They are the same truck under two different brands and sell more than Ford.  

it ain't "Fix or Repair Daily" it's "First on Race Day"
View Quote

Actually it is just “Ford”.  It was named after Henry Ford whose name meant neither of those things as far as I am aware.  

anyways buying a full size Toyota is the worst thing you could do, it's like all those fags riding on Yamaha or Honda bikes that look like a Harleys.
View Quote

I own Tundra and am VERY happy with it.  I spent three years researching my purchase and was totally set on the Ford until I tried the Tundra just to see.  I did some more research and ended up with the Tundra because I thought it was the best truck for ME.  I owned a Ford prior and loved its never say die inline 6 which of course they got rid of.  I looked at Chevy and Dodge as well.  I liked the way the Chevy looks better than the Ford but I liked the Ford’s toughness better.  I heard of a lot of quality problems on the Chevy’s, but again they are the number one seller so they have to have something going for them.  The Dodge was never in the running.  They seemed to be cheaply made and were rated worst in the class for braking.  The Ford Super cab had a problem called the Door Pillar crack or Door crack that you can search the f150online site for.  The Toyota is such a rip off of the Ford it looks too much like it for my taste.  

Another thing I can't stand is all these losers that buy Japanese cars and trucks and plaster American flags all over them in a show of patriotic support, I would say someone driving an American vehicle with no flag displayed is way more patriotic than you "Americans" that bought from shores abroad...JMHO...Bob
[50]
View Quote

I know a lot of Vietnam vets that ride foreign bikes.  I guess they are sorry SOB’s and you are WAY more patriotic than them.  

Here are some good links to help kindstranger:

Sites:

[url]http://www.f150online.com[/url]

[url]http://www.ford-diesel.com/[/url]

[url]http://www.tundrasolutions.com[/url]

Review:

[url]http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/comparison/articles/43902/article.html[/url]

What I would be driving if it was out:

[img]http://www.f150online.com/images/dexcursion1.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 6:44:49 PM EDT
[#29]
If money were no object, I would suggest a Ford F-150 Lightning.

[img]http://www.auto.com/art/reviews/99_autos/99_ford_f150_lightning/0621_fordlightning_front.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 6:50:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Mmmmm poor running Fords.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 7:09:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Just as well toss in my .02 too. I have been a GM service tech for 20 year's and have been under just about all of them.
Ford 1/2 ton frame's are to light. You need a step ladder to get in a Dodge, fine for me but what about the Mrs.
If Chevy is your inclination the 1500 crew cab is a good choice as it it is set up like a light 3/4 ton with 6.0 engine and decent trans and rear axle.
Next up is the HD 2500 6.0 engine 4L80e trans and heavy enough rear axle to handle most trailer hauling.
Then come's the HD 2500 and 3500 Allison trans with the new diesel or the big gas engine(really like's gas). The 6.0 has been out 3 year's now and I have yet to se a major problem with it. The diesel and the big gas are only a year old, but no problem's either( Diesel is the quietest on the road and very little smoke).
The Allison trans in my opinion is for the heavy trailering folk's as it has engine braking in first and second gear's and let's you know when it shift's.
So unless you need to satisfy your ego and have 38K to drop it is best left to the working truck crowd.

For what it's worth.. Lee
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 7:59:17 PM EDT
[#32]
If you want something that looks good and maybe even help you get laid, get the ford 150.
If you want something that will do the job and then get you home every night , then get the chevy.

Tom
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 8:51:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You Dodge, Chevy, and Toyota strokes can yap all ya want, Ford has sold the most full size trucks for the past 24 years, it ain't "Fix or Repair Daily" it's "First on Race Day"
View Quote

You forgot one:

Fred's Old Ride Died [:D]
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 8:56:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If you want something that looks good and maybe even help you get laid, get the ford 150.
If you want something that will do the job and then get you home every night , then get the chevy.

Tom
View Quote

If you want something that looks good, gets you laid, does the job [B]AND[/B] starts up the next morning get the Dodge.

Just my [S]unbiased[/S] opinion...
well, I guess my name does show my preference.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 5:00:04 AM EDT
[#35]
In the HD catagory:
Best Diesel? Chevy Duramax
Best Gas Motor? Chevy 8100 496" V-8 (more hp then the others V-10's)

My first pick is the Chevy, I have a '00 Silvarado 5.3L 4x4, rides like a car and rips pretty good too. There is also a '02 3/4 ton HD in the family.

The Ford is my second pick, the Super Duty is a good deal and the trucks look pretty good.

Dodge, looks like a tough truck but not to fond of it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 8:50:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Having owned 3 Ford's and also having put one through a real-life offset impact crash, I can offer some insights, Truck #1 a 1986 f-150,302-v-8,auto, had rubber bushing front end, wore out at 50,000 mi, had to be replaced with a front end that could be greased, transmission leaked,got 215,000 mi out of it, wasn't a bad truck,Truck#2 a 1994 f-150 302 auto, but 2000 on it right front tire wearing badly, ford dealer looked at it and problem was something to do with the camber adj(I can't remember for sure) parts had to obtained from factory,had to wait a week parts installed, problem cured, transmission started leaking badly, after that(truck had about 35,000 mi on it by this time) back to the dealer again,trans had to be dropped, and new seals installed, at 74,000 trans started leaking again and would shudder when shifting into O.D. I traded it at this point later found out shuddering was Tourqe converter getting ready to take a shit. Truck #3 1997 f-150 FWD, with 2000 mi on it got recall letter from Ford, they had to replace timing chain gasket, they replaced it, everything fine, for awhile, went to get front end lined up, shop suggested purchase of parts to make front end fully adjustable,I said I thought it was, No they said only adjustable for Toe, not camber, $200.00 for parts plus labor,(P.S. told me G.M. pickups have same problem, they could install parts at factory but don't ) I passed, told them to get it close as they could, figured I'D just rotate tires more often, 30,000 Mi trans was leaking not bad, but leaking,truck was totaled at 54,000mi I hit semi head on aftering losing control on black ice, had seat belts fastened, but was found ten feet outside of truck, driver side door had buckled, and injured me,and opened up ejecting me, And after seeing the offset impact test on T.V. and how poorly the Ford, Chevy, and Dodge did (Toyota was the only one to pass)I decided I did'nt want another pickup,Really I'didn't use it that much for hauling anything, or for towing either, I've since bought a Honda CR-V, (used with 29,000 mi on it) I like it much better,Probably not much better in the offset crash tests,But the transmission does'nt leak,isn't plagued by recalls,and the front end can be lined up without buying additional parts, runs great, is well built, and cost less, anyway, it works for me.Honestly,I'll think twice before buying another Ford anything
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 8:56:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Every Ford pickup I've ever driven behind (other than 3 years old or less) left the smell of burning oil in the air.

Whether it was leaking from the valve covers, or getting blown past the rings and coming out the exhaust I don't know.

Or maybe, Fords are actually two strokes??? [}:D]

Link Posted: 12/18/2001 9:55:38 AM EDT
[#38]
CHEVY IS THE ONLY REAL MAN TRUCK OUT THERE! all others SUCK!
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 10:15:49 AM EDT
[#39]
I used to be a Chevy man, until I got a Dodge!  Still like Chevy, but will only drive Dodge now!  

My suggestion is to wait until next year and get the 2003 Dodge Ram.  The Hemi is back, and will be putting out 345 HP, and a buttload of torque.  That, combined with the new body style and new features, can't be beat!

Toyota/Nissan = Junk
That "Jap Crap" has more plastic than a Ford!
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 10:20:49 AM EDT
[#40]
I compared Chevy and Ford 3/4 ton pickups and found the Ford was something like 600 lbs. heavier with a similar GVW to the Chevy (means less payload capacity and poorer gas mileage when unloaded) and the Ford is much higher off the ground (higher tailgate = hard to load, high to climb into) but [b] has 1/2" LESS ground clearance![/b]  The Chevy rides like a dream, the Ford rides like a truck.

I love my Chevy Silverado LS 4-dr. ext. cab w/ 5.3L V8.  It is rated at 285 hp from the factory and I added dual exhaust (it already had dual catalytic converters) and a K&N filter - probably running around 315-320 hp now.  Runs like a raped ape, rides like a caddilac, gets 17 mpg driving back and forth to work, and looks great!  I've pulled heavy loads, and it has never even run hot, even in 99 degree summer heat.  Everyone that rides with me agrees it is a great truck!

The company I previously worked for has a fleet of pickup trucks and has tried all of the big three.  Fords need front new front ends (Twin I-beam is 60's technology) by 40000 miles, engine and tranny overhauls at 110000;  Dodges just don't hold up at all, multitude of mechanical problems beginning within first 50000 and getting worse;  Chevy's go 200-250000 miles with no problems with drive train - just change belts, hoses, alternators, starters, batteries, and normal maintenance.  Last I looked, we have 3 with over 240,000 miles that are driven every day!

The company I work for now has the same experience.  The old dodges were tough and long-lasting, but sucked in the "looks and comfort" department.  Their new ones just don't hold up.  The fords just don't last mechanically, and they aren't as comfortable or quiet as the Chevy's.  The Chevrolets just seem to run forever, and the ride, comfort, and looks are great.

Chevy all the way!
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 10:29:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
You Dodge, Chevy, and Toyota strokes can yap all ya want, Ford has sold the most full size trucks for the past 24 years, it ain't "Fix or Repair Daily" it's "First on Race Day" anyways buying a full size Toyota is the worst thing you could do, it's like all those fags riding on Yamaha or Honda bikes that look like a Harleys. Another thing I can't stand is all these losers that buy Japanese cars and trucks and plaster American flags all over them in a show of patriotic support, I would say someone driving an American vehicle with no flag displayed is way more patriotic than you "Americans" that bought from shores abroad...JMHO...Bob
[50]
View Quote

You'll be glad to know, then that the Toyota is made here in the USA, while the Ford, at least, is made in Canada.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 10:31:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Ford is just plain big and ugly, yet their crash rating sucks.

Chevy, no lie, we put one on a lift at the dealership, and it wasn't lined up quite right and bent the frame.

Dodge makes a new 4 door that as a street or work truck, looks awesome, has the new Hydro-formed frame, (think Corvette type stiffness), and yes the tranny is better.

Thats my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 10:38:48 AM EDT
[#43]
[img]http://preview.sema.org/images/L_23990.jpg[/img]
[img]http://preview.sema.org/images/L_23019.jpg[/img]
[img]http://preview.sema.org/images/L_22525.jpg[/img]
[img]http://preview.sema.org/images/L_23967.jpg[/img]

More eye candy from SEMA at [url]http://preview.sema.org/press/showdata_search.asp?ctx=157[/url]
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 11:23:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Personally  I really like the new Dodge. I'm sad they dont use a solid axle in the 1/2T anymore but the rest of the truck is just AWSOME. I would wait for the 5.7L Hemi to go in them before I buy one though. The 4.7L is really to small for the truck even though it makes ok power (the 4.7L KICKS ASS in the Dakota)and the 5.9L gets lousy MPG #s. The industry reports I have heard are around 350HP and 400ft lbs of TQ for the 5.7L Dodge are the best Bang for the $. I have shopped around and driven ALOT of trucks and i will buy the dodge.

BrenLover
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 11:46:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Hambone, The TTB front end on fords are quite durable but hard on tires as they really need to be kept aligned religiously. Replacing worn out rubber bushings with poly ones help ALOT! My 90 Ford Ranger 4x4 Ex cab STX was the best truck I have ever driven, Got rid of it this year at 236,000 miles only cause the 5sp blew out it's synchros (through towing ludicrous weight) and it would cost more to repair than what the truck was worth ( the  truck STILL looked great in and out). HOWEVER I would not buy a NEW ranger as they dont seem as well built as the 89-99?s They now feel chinsy like Toyotas. If you wanted to mod your truck (lift it) Solid front axle or TTB is the ONLY way to go. If your gonna lower it, Double A arms all the way.
BrenLover
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 2:12:43 AM EDT
[#46]
01 Ford F150, the best selling, running, looking, ect... I gave one of the guys in my hunting club a ride to the cabin (because his chevy was broke) and on the way home he had me drop him at the local Ford dealer and he bought one just like mine. [:)>]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 4:48:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
01 Ford F150, the best selling, running, looking, ect... I gave one of the guys in my hunting club a ride to the cabin (because his chevy was broke) and on the way home he had me drop him at the local Ford dealer and he bought one just like mine. [:)>]
View Quote

[puke]

Ford feminine series?
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 5:09:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well it is hard to argue with that statement.  I wish I had someone as intelligent and eloquent as you to help me make my decision when I purchased my truck.  I can take these facts that you give and just run down to Ford, Toyota and Dodge and they may just stop production.  

BTW, If [I]“CHEVY IS THE ONLY REAL MAN TRUCK OUT THERE!”[/I]

What does that make you, a man who comes here screaming its praises?  The b!tch?

[:O] [>:/][V]

-Velveeta
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 6:21:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Well it is hard to argue with that statement.  I wish I had someone as intelligent and eloquent as you to help me make my decision when I purchased my truck.  I can take these facts that you give and just run down to Ford, Toyota and Dodge and they may just stop production.  

BTW, If [I]“CHEVY IS THE ONLY REAL MAN TRUCK OUT THERE!”[/I]

What does that make you, a man who comes here screaming its praises?  The b!tch?

[:O] [>:/][V]

-Velveeta
View Quote

Now thats funny! [:D]

Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:03:22 AM EDT
[#50]
used to work for a truck equipment company-drove evry type of new truck around-Mostly Fords.  The reason- cheap and fairly tough chassis truck-but that was about it.  The Chevys all were a zillion times smoother, but the new HD one ton was not out at the time.  I would take a chevy over the fords anyday, but would look at 450, 550, and 650 for HD applications only.  I used to not care about crashe tests much (kid thinking) but now that is very important and the F-150 looks pretty bad.  As far as styling-it is chevy for me-there is just something about them that looks better inside and out-not sure what it is.  Be sure to look for the new 4 wheel steering on chevy truck coming out soon-yes I know its just another thing to break....

As far as Ford lightning/chev typhoon type special vehicles-an insurance mans dream- and they are totaly usless except for speed.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top