Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/10/2005 9:01:39 PM EDT
Fox has been kicking off a few new shows for the last couple of weeks. They start their fall season full blast Sunday night with yet another season of The Simpsons. I love the show and the characters, but how much longer is it going to go on?

CBS premieres Survivor on Thursday night. CSI on 9/22.

NBC has a couple of good looking new comedies coming. The one I am most anticipating is My Name Is Earl starring Jason Lee. Lots of promise.

Fox moved Arrested Development to Monday nights at 8PM. It will be followed by the TV adaptation of Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential. I have to wonder how they're going to turn a book about the dark side of the culinary industry into a TV show. But from what I've read, it isn't that bad.

ABC returns with last season's mega-hits Lost and Desperate Housewives.

I've tried to avoid becoming entangled in new shows over the last couple of years, but I'm seeing a lot of good stuff in the upcoming season. My VCR and DVD recorder are going to be working overtime.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:23:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/11/2005 3:24:01 PM EDT by Bunnyassassin]
Do you have the start dates for CSI: Miami and New York? Had a look on the CBS site, but got lost in their publicity............ can't figur out the new season start dates!

Watched the first episode of "Medium" last week, seems to have promise, any idea how many episodes they ahve made!

We tend to get things a few months later over her and I thought the "new" Kojak (Ving Rhames) didn't look bad, but it petered out......
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:00:34 PM EDT
Yet I still have to wait until sometime in '06 for new Deadwood.

Cocksuckers.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:53:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/12/2005 5:37:27 AM EDT by pathfinder74]
Seems to be an "alien invasion" show coming on all of the three big networks:

Surface: "There's something in the water"

Invasion

Threshold: The other alien invasion show.

E-Ring looks like it might be decent. Maybe like a Jack Bauer kinda show.

- The Office w/ Steve Carell is pretty funny, but it has such a dreary atmosphere to it (which I assume is intentional).
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:25:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By pathfinder74:
Seems to be a few alien invasion shows coming.

Yes, there are several shows concerning the paranormal running this season. NBC's series about mysterious sea creatures has piqued my interest.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:05:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Burley:
Yes, there are several shows concerning the paranormal running this season. NBC's series about mysterious sea creatures has piqued my interest.

Someone said it was going to be like Sphere... I suppose they based that on the eggs thing. I can't imagine that's actually the premise of the story though.

People on the IMDb message boards seem to think it'll get cancelled. A few people saw a pilot preview and said it was lame.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:13:09 AM EDT
E-Ring is supposed to have Sarah Clarke / Berkley (who played Nina Meyers in Seasons 1-3 of 24). I saw House before I ever saw 24, and Sarah Clarke / Berkley played a CEO in House who was dying from all the weight loss pills she took. I was waiting for Jack Bauer to come through the door pointing a gun at the doctors and telling them to get away from Nina. LOL

Leslie Hope (who played Teri Bauer in Season 1 of 24) was also in House. She played a confused homeless woman who lost her family in a car crash.

Simpsons, House, E-Ring, NCIS, Alias, Invasion are some of the shows I'll be checking out.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:06:41 AM EDT
awesome, thanks
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:21:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/12/2005 7:22:27 AM EDT by HardShell]

... I've tried to avoid becoming entangled in new shows over the last couple of years, but I'm seeing a lot of good stuff in the upcoming season. My VCR and DVD recorder are going to be working overtime.

That's why I've adpopted a new strategy re: new series. As I mentioned briefly in an unrelated thread recently, I plan to record (but not watch) all the new series this season which interest me. I will dump them off of my DVR onto DVD-RWs (one for each series) and hold onto them until late October/early November. By then, it should be obvious which ones will continue and which ones will not (heck, several probably will be cancelled by then ). I figure only one or two (if that) of the new sci-fi/supernatural series will make it beyond a single season - the ones that are cancelled I simply won't watch. (Which is fine - I only watch maybe one show per evening other than news & don't have interest in watching much more - I used to watch WAY too much TV. )

I just got tired of investing time and emotion into series/characters, only to have the show cancelled before it could find its niche or gain a loyal audience (Firefly and John Doe are recent ones that come immediately to mind, but there have been plenty...).
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:04:32 PM EDT
I am glad that Arrested Devlopment is back on the air. It is the best comedy show on TV
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:01:14 PM EDT
I thought REUNION on Fox was a good show Thursday at 8pm Centeral Time...
Its about 6 high school friends, and after 20 years one is killed...
The first eposode (9/8) shows them in high school, two friends are out drinking, the driver drunk,
running what he calls "yellow light mean, step on it!" Rich boy driving his Porshe, has traffic accident with guy in truck...
Long story short, rich boy talks poor friend to say he was driving because he only had one beer...
Man dies, he's charged with vehicler manslauder...
Rich boys Dad hires high price lawyer and gets DA plea bargin to probation, judge does not see it that way and gives him 1 year in State Pen...
Its set where each eposode is another year?? maybe not, next eposode is while he is in prison and what happens when he gets out...
Oh, I almost forgot, while rich boy and his girl broke up, poor boy goes out with her and she gets knocked up and poor boy doesnt even know it, she goes off to college in another state... Poor boy goes to prison.

kinda like a soap opera, but look at the O.C. and 24...
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 12:55:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bunnyassassin:
Do you have the start dates for CSI: Miami and New York? Had a look on the CBS site, but got lost in their publicity............ can't figur out the new season start dates!

Watched the first episode of "Medium" last week, seems to have promise, any idea how many episodes they ahve made!

We tend to get things a few months later over her and I thought the "new" Kojak (Ving Rhames) didn't look bad, but it petered out......

CSI: NY starts 9/21. CSI: Miami starts 9/19.

I can't remember if Medium was a mid-season start. I don't think it went quite the full season. Probably around 17-20 shows total, almost a full season.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 12:56:14 PM EDT
BTW, here's EW's Fall Preview page with start dates listed.

Entertainment Weekly Fall preview
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:09:44 PM EDT
God, the new Simpsons on Sunday SUCKED. That show is pretty much dead and gone.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:10:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2005 1:12:06 PM EDT by HardShell]

BTW, here's EW's Fall Preview page with start dates listed.

Entertainment Weekly Fall preview

Thanks for that link. Here's a grid-based one that I found useful for seeing at a glance what's on opposite one another, etc. (Also has a list of last year's cancellations, upcoming mid-season replacements, links to show details/sites, etc.)

www.tvpicks.net/fallpreviews/2005-06fallgrid-est.html

Top Top