Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2004 3:13:45 AM EDT
I want one of these cuase they look beautiful!  
I seem to recollect that hte new SA is NOT the government armory SA.
So my question is - what is the quality of these guys?
And Kathleen Turner is from springfield (cheap plug to get people to answer my question....)
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:15:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you seen a picture of her recently?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:29:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I never liked her.  I don't know if it's her voice or what but she annoys the hell out of me.

I believe I would stick with a CMP Garand.  If you want it to be nice looking, then have someone refinish it.  At least then you actually have a piece of history instead of a wannabe.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:36:20 AM EDT
[#3]
There was a thread here a while back about someone who got one and it kaboomed...split right down the middle, barrel, receiver and all. Wasn't pretty.

If you really want to spend about a grand for an inferior copy of one, go ahead. Or, you can spend $400 and get a real, collectable one from the CMP. You might need to replace some worn springs and parts, but it'll run a lot better, look a lot better (IMO), and you'll like it a lot more.

If you want it to look brand new, check to make sure you have a non-collectable mixmaster, then send it off to be reparked. Their original park was a nice black, but being stored in cosmoline and whatnot turned their finish into a greenish tint. Gunplumber can repark it to its original black, or can give it that used green tint look, and redo the whole rifle.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:46:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
And Kathleen Turner is from springfield

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:46:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I had one, had to sell it when my wife lost her job.  Mine was very well made.  All the parts on mine were USGI Springfield and a couple of little parts were Beretta.  Mine shot very well too.  I miss it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:47:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
...If you really want to spend about a grand for an inferior copy of one, go ahead. Or, you can spend $400 and get a real, collectable one from the CMP. You might need to replace some worn springs and parts, but it'll run a lot better, look a lot better (IMO), and you'll like it a lot more....

+1
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:50:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:51:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:51:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Why would you pay $1,100 for a fake when you can pay $500 (or less) for the real thing???

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:46:52 AM EDT
[#10]
cause teh CMP thing sounds like it takes time and knowledge... I have less of the former than the latter.

plus, I'm assuming the springfield comes with a manual and support from SA.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:49:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:56:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:02:31 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
cause teh CMP thing sounds like it takes time and knowledge... I have less of the former than the latter.

All you gotta do is join a CMP certified club, shoot a match, and send in your check.

The process of getting a CMP garand is part of the beauty of owning one.

CMP tech inspects it, so you don't have to worry about that.

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:03:58 AM EDT
[#14]
dammit, I'll just go to LRB and pick up a USGI then.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:07:04 AM EDT
[#15]
I saw one blow up at the range that I worked at in Houston.This was not the only one that I had heard of that blew up.The stock was nothing but sharp splinters of wood.The shooter was very lucky he did not get hurt worse.He had a bad cut on his hand and  cuts and a big bruise on his chest.I know because I had to patch him up before.He went to the hospital.My advice is do not get a Garand from Springfield.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:16:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:30:56 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

there is no longer a shoot requirement

WHAT???????????

Heresy!!!!!!!!!!!

When did that happen???

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:55:49 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

There is paperwork and a notary signature.  Have to belong to an affiliated club (Gararnd Collector's is one, several others @$20 a year or so dues) and then something that shows shooting interest, (CMP shoots usually once a month or C&R License--$30 and gets you some discounts).  The CMP Garand comes with a book and they have downloadable manuals that visually take you through the detail of stripping and assembling the rifle.  Danish or Greek Garands are only $300 delivered to your door in around 2-3 weeks.  A CMP GARAND like the one I got for $500 would be selling in a gun store for $750 minimum, most likely $800-$850.  I'm happy I got mine.  I'd rather have a used gun in this case because it's history after all.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:58:12 AM EDT
[#19]
 Mine's very nice.  I replaced some of the parts that weren't up to snuff and bedded it.  It's very cherry looking.  That being said....I still hate Springfield with a passion.

As far as some of them blowing up I would bet my money on the fact the the shooters were possibly using Korean surplus ammo....using that stuff is taking your life into your own hands with ANY gun.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:39:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:42:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Anytime it's easier for good people to obtain firearms, I'm all for it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:44:39 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

there is no longer a shoot requirement

WHAT???????????

Heresy!!!!!!!!!!!

When did that happen???

This last year. it was under the new "M1's for the unwashed masses program"

Seriously - is that true?  So are you saying you just have to join a CMP-affilitated club, and then you can order one????

Because if it is, I'm totally going to make my anti-gun fiancee order me a couple of Garands!!

(I'm tired of waiting for 1shott to finally send me one ).

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:46:01 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

The CMP couldnt be easier. Join the Garand Collectors Assn. Download the forms from CMP. Go to a range (you do that, right?) have them sign off that you now how to handle a rifle. Mail the forms in. Wait two weeks. Garand.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:50:53 AM EDT
[#24]
BTW, Kathleen Turner was a major, major hottie.

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:53:42 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I never liked her.  I don't know if it's her voice or what but she annoys the hell out of me.

I believe I would stick with a CMP Garand.  If you want it to be nice looking, then have someone refinish it.  At least then you actually have a piece of history instead of a wannabe.

Ditto,
price is right
shouldn't cost much to refinish
you'll have a piece of history

Got mine last week,  suhweeeet!!!
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:56:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:37:50 AM EDT
[#27]
CMP's customer service is far superior to Springfield's. SA will have you pay to ship your rifle back and wait weeks to just return it again. When a CMP M1 doesn't meet the specs you paid for ($500 Service grade meets higher standards than $400 or $300 rackgrade) they pay shipping and make it right within 48 hours to a week and they pay all shipping. This on a 60 year old product. They have you speak with an armorer directly and things get done.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:39:04 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
the new rquire is have ANY range officer sign off, or include a copy of your CCW if you have one.

New requirements Eligibility requirements

Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity
You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures. Your marksmanship related activity does not have to be with highpower rifles; it can be with smallbore rifles, pistols, air guns or shotguns. Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:

Current or past military service.
Current or past law enforcement service
Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor).
Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.
Concealed Carry License.
Firearms Owner Identification Card.
FFL or C&R license.
Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. A form for use in completing and certifying your range firing can be downloaded from the CMP web site at http://www.odcmp.com/forms/marksmanship.pdf
No proof required if over age 60.

Thanks - maybe I can get my fiancee to go along with that.  She DOES owe me a trip to the range to shoot the garand - in exchange for my trying grits   (not sure that trade was worth it)
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:36:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:44:12 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Send me your $1,100 and I'll send you my service grade CMP Springfield Garand built in May, 1944.

Then, I'm going to turn right around and buy 2 more CMP service grade Springfield's
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top