Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 10/1/2007 3:21:51 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/10/2007 10:38:00 AM EST by nate392]
Hey everyone, I recently have been interested in learning to ride, real interested. Before I can take the safety course I would like to know some feedback first though on a important first step, the bike. I am not a big dude by any means, 5'8 160lbs, and I was wondering what would be a good starter bike in the $700-$1300 (yea i knw, but consider im a poor starving college student)price range. I know some of you are for, and against jap bikes, but I was considering one of the older Honda CB's 450-750cc range, or maybe an older Yahama from 1970's- 80's. I would just like a cruiser for comin up in the fall once I pass everything. I am not interested in any crotch rockets, well notyet atleast lol, u guys have any ideas on what would be good to start with>?thanks
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 1:56:40 AM EST
Nate I see you are in CT so this is the time of year to buy an older machine people don't want to garage them for another year. Repeaters advice is great Have you checked Craigslist?
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 4:54:58 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/2/2007 6:51:25 AM EST by TruckinAR]
Your budget just dropped by 400-500 bux on a bike.... GET GEAR!!
A ll
T he
G ear
A ll
T he
T ime
ATGATT!
Good helmet... how much is your head worth? $125 to $500 I have An HJC ($120) for dirt and a Scorpion($200) full face for street.
A good Jacket with armour.. Fieldsheer ($99) or Joe Rocket ($=?)
Pants with Armour, range in price from $150 and up
Good boots. I use Doc Martins not the best idea ( no support or ankle bracing) but will protect my hoofs. Boots range from $125 bux up to $300

Gloves, the first thing you'll try and do is "catch" yourself when, yes WHEN, you eat shit. Hopefully it will be a slow moving one for your first.
They run from $25 to $100 +
I have a pair of Joe Rocket Track day gloves, all cow hide, with plastic armour / vents..
I also run a pair of Fly gloves for most of my riding, decent leather.
I may look sillyall geared up an a 350cc plated dirt bike, but I look better than wrapped in gauze!
Now whatcha got left for a bike? Watcha got for the MSF course? up in CT I am sure it is around $150 bux.

If you have never rode a MC, I would suggest a small to mid sized STANDARD bike. Steer away from sport rides. and large heavy beasts, like a Harley or similar.
Get something light weight.

I started off in the dirt at age 8 or so, I also starteed driving when I was 10 or 11 when my Dad would be too drunk to drive home from the baseball field or when He would drink his uncles homemade wine.. . That said, I went from 2 stroke dirt wheelie machines to a Virago to a 250cc Cafe to a CBR600, than to a Harley custom 1200 chopper (never again!), and full circle bake to dual sports (Enduro for the old farts).
SO I am now more familiar with the Dual Sport/ ADV bikes.

Many of riders will tell you this, if you can ride trails and dirt, you can ride anywhere.
You can stick me or any of my friends on just about any bike (jockey shifts don't count).
and we will be proficient on them.

I always suggest a dual sport / dirt bike for beginners. Lightweight, cheap, and you can always find some secluded spot to ride.
There is a huge group of ADV / Dual Sporters network in CT... lots a people to help guide you, and NO SQUIDS are there

good luck , there is ALOT of bike knowledge to be had here, from Jeremy and KirkP (although they are scared to meet me )
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 5:04:43 AM EST
I did say ATGATT, right?

Please read This
so you will understand ATGATT
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 6:40:11 AM EST
Take the safety course first! You will spend like 16hours in the saddle getting comfortable on a 125 or 250 size bike that you don't have to pay for.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 6:51:18 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/2/2007 6:57:00 AM EST by nate392]
I do understand gear and course is a must, so thanks for reminding me I should get started on tht first. Showing pics from the link like that isnt really something to encourage someone to start riding, I am not for the scare tatics personally, your talkin to someone who wears a seatbelt all the time, and wont even go on a bycle without a helmet lol im am aware of the consequences of not properly wearing gear, and understand it's importance -thanks however.
Good to hear most people who have owned the cb have had little problems, im keepin my mind open though on those other models.

On the dirtbike I completely agree it would be a good starter, but you guys have to remember where I am in CT, the land that people use is becoming less and less, so it's difficult to really find places to ride dirtbikes without the cops bein called :/
Oh, and Craigslist and Bargain news has helped, im keepin my eye out, Guys thanks for the info I appreciate it
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 6:53:19 AM EST
I lucked out on my KZ650SR, it was about the best condition I could realistically expect for $800. It has much better brakes than any older or smaller bike I've ridden yet.

Be aware on older bikes you will probably want to replace/repair some things right off the bat.

I had to replace the throttle cables, and still need to check out the fuel petcock and vacuum system. Also not looking forward to cleaning and balancing the 4 carbs.

Here are some good old bike part sites:
www.z1enterprises.com/ and www.oldbikebarn.com/
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 6:57:27 AM EST
thanks, great sites
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 6:59:39 AM EST

Originally Posted By nate392:
I do understand gear and course is a must, so thanks for reminding me I should get started on tht first. Showing pics from the link like that isnt really something to encourage someone to start riding, I am not for the scare tatics personally, your talkin to someone who wears a seatbelt all the time, and wont even go on a bycle without a helmet lol im am aware of the consequences of not properly wearing gear, and understand it's importance -thanks however.
Good to hear most people who have owned the cb have had little problems, im keepin my mind open though on those other models.

On the dirtbike I completely agree it would be a good starter, but you guys have to remember where I am in CT, the land that people use is becoming less and less, so it's difficult to really find places to ride dirtbikes without the cops bein called :/
Oh, and Craigslist and Bargain news has helped, im keepin my eye out, Guys thanks for the info I appreciate it

Its not really scare tactics, just a visual as to what the pavement can do to flesh.

Check out advrider.com, their classifide section is gret.
I saw a DR350 for 1700 bux, and a few other NICE bikes sub 2,000
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 5:12:07 PM EST

Originally Posted By Sniper_Wolfe:
Honda CB series, Suzuki GS series, equivalent Yamaha or Kawasaki bikes should all serve you well in the role you're looking for. I started out on a 1985 Suzuki GS450L, then went to a 2004 Suzuki SV650S, and now have a 2006 Suzuki GSXR 1000.

Craigslist is awesome, it's how I found my last two motorcycles. Don't buy a used helmet.

New Enough (gear is brand new, name is dated) is a great source for gear, you can find a lot of good deals in their closeout section and their regular prices are good too.

With a helmet, more money doesn't really equate to better protection. It usually means the helmet will be more comfortable, have a better fit & finish, etc. Motorcyclist Online did a test a while ago and their cheapest helmet offered the best protection (it was DOT certified only, not Snell.....not to open a can of worms about helmets).

There a lot of experienced riders on this site who can answer your questions, so ask away.

When are you going to learn?
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 5:27:36 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/2/2007 5:28:34 PM EST by Sniper_Wolfe]

Originally Posted By TruckinAR:

Honda CB series, Suzuki GS series, equivalent Yamaha or Kawasaki bikes should all serve you well in the role you're looking for. I started out on a 1985 Suzuki GS450L, then went to a 2004 Suzuki SV650S, and now have a 2006 Suzuki GSXR 1000.

Craigslist is awesome, it's how I found my last two motorcycles. Don't buy a used helmet.

New Enough (gear is brand new, name is dated) is a great source for gear, you can find a lot of good deals in their closeout section and their regular prices are good too.

With a helmet, more money doesn't really equate to better protection. It usually means the helmet will be more comfortable, have a better fit & finish, etc. Motorcyclist Online did a test a while ago and their cheapest helmet offered the best protection (it was DOT certified only, not Snell.....not to open a can of worms about helmets).

There a lot of experienced riders on this site who can answer your questions, so ask away.

When are you going to learn?

If you have recommendations for reputable sources of information, I'd like them. Let me see if I can dig up the link for the test... FWIW, another member also IM'd me the link about the test (I had read it previously).

Regardless, I don't think increased cost translates to increased protection at all.

Edit: Here's the link. Regardless of what you think of MO, it's an interesting read.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 5:29:45 PM EST

Showing pics from the link like that isnt really something to encourage someone to start riding, I am not for the scare tatics personally, your talkin to someone who wears a seatbelt all the time, and wont even go on a bycle without a helmet lol im am aware of the consequences of not properly wearing gear, and understand it's importance -thanks however.

I will be honest with you: motorcycles are fucking dangerous, and anyone that tells you otherwise is just trying to justify it to themselves.

A helmet will keep your brain in one piece from a fall from standing height. Good gear will keep you from getting road rash from sliding on pavement. NOTHING is going to help you if you hit a fixed object, NOTHING. All the gear in the world will not do you a bit of good if you hit a truck, light pole, sign, mailbox, tree, damn near anything at much above 20mph, you will die or at least never be the same again.

I have known plenty of people that are no longer alive, or will never be “right” again and got that way on a motorcycle while wearing all the gear, and not “squids” or “RUBs” going from bar to bar.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 6:28:10 PM EST

Post the X-ray!!

I have lots of X Rays from my short time in the sport, but the people I am talking about not being "right," pictures or video would be a lot more sobering. I have a friend that is trying to learn to talk again right now; his and his entire family's life is changed forever.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 4:01:01 AM EST
In regards to saftey... NO VEHICLE IS SAFE!
30,000 some people die in automobile crashes every year, thats 80 something a DAY!
JUST IN CARS!
Planes are the safest, but..... sometimes.... BOOM!
That said, you can minimize your risks, by riding smart, and ALWAYS LEAVE YOURSELF AN OUT!

AS for bikes , atleast I gave my .02 cents worth
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 1:25:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/5/2007 1:25:47 PM EST by KirkP]

Originally Posted By jeremy223:
I will be honest with you: motorcycles are fucking dangerous, and anyone that tells you otherwise is just trying to justify it to themselves.

A helmet will keep your brain in one piece from a fall from standing height. Good gear will keep you from getting road rash from sliding on pavement. NOTHING is going to help you if you hit a fixed object, NOTHING. All the gear in the world will not do you a bit of good if you hit a truck, light pole, sign, mailbox, tree, damn near anything at much above 20mph, you will die or at least never be the same again.

I have known plenty of people that are no longer alive, or will never be “right” again and got that way on a motorcycle while wearing all the gear, and not “squids” or “RUBs” going from bar to bar.

Some truth there- I've known riders that fall down at 150 mph on the track and walk away, and I've known squids that died from 30 mph impacts on the street.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 1:33:07 PM EST

Hey everyone, I recently have been interested in learning to ride, real interested. Before I can take the safety course I would like to know some feedback first though on a important first step, the bike. I am not a big dude by any means, 5'8 160lbs, and I was wondering what would be a good starter bike in the $700-$1300 (yea i knw, but consider im a poor starving college student)price range. I know some of you are for, and against jap bikes, but I was considering one of the older Honda CB's 450-750cc range, or maybe an older Yahama from 1970's- 80's. I would just like a cruiser for comin up in the fall once I pass everything. I am not interested in any crotch rockets, well notyet atleast lol, u guys have any ideas on what would be good to start with>?thanks

If you can only afford $700-$1300, you can't afford to ride. You should be spending more than that on safety gear alone. I wear $3000 in safety gear when I go to coffee.

And once you have proper safety gear, buying an old piece of crap 2-valve, air cooled, carbureted, drum-brake pseudo-cruiser with bias ply tires isn't going to further your learning. If you're looking for a budget first bike, you should still be looking at an SV650, but you should be looking for a crasher- something that some other squid bought new and threw on the ground and let his insurance company total it out. You're looking for one with cosmetic damage, not one with bent frame, forks, or wheels. A bike like that (with a flagged title) is never going to be worth much in terms of resale value, but it will be worth a lot to you in terms of a learning platform.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 1:50:14 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/5/2007 1:50:49 PM EST by nate392]
I was looking for up to 1300 for the bike alone, I am aware that more $ has to be set aside for safety gear, and it certainly will be bought. ya certainly can't put a price on limbs eh?
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 7:36:34 PM EST

I did say ATGATT, right?

Please read This

Jesus Christ, poor fucking girl!

I'm planning on taking up riding myself soon... I already planned to be an ATGATT rider, but damn, that just reinforced the conviction.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 11:26:43 PM EST

I did say ATGATT, right?

Please read This

The only time my wife has ever been injured from riding was on the street, and it was the only time she ever rode with less than all of her gear.

She had recently donated a kidney to her father. When they do a kidney removal, they can make a small incision and "suck" it out, which incurs some risk of damaging the kidney. Or they can just cut her side open, through the muscle and everything, and the kidney's integrity is just about a sure thing. The recovery for the latter is obviously much longer, but that's the route she chose, and I respect her decision.

She hated not being able to ride while she was recovering. When she had finally healed well enough to ride, we decided to try things out with a little street loop around town.

She is equipped with the same $3000 in safety gear that I have, but her leather racing suit is the two-pc. women's version ( I have the 1-pc. men's version). She was not yet able to swing her leg over the bike while wearing her suit, so we made a bad decision and she left the bottom half at home, wearing her little size-zero jeans instead. Other than that, she wore everything, including her spine protecter.

On the way home, we were cruising on the freeway in the right lane at the speed limit (55 mph), and some motorists were getting pissed because we were holding them up. An exit was coming up, and two ass-holes did something stupid at the same time. One SUV driver to her left that apparently thought that he could squeeze her over and she'd get out of the way. The driver in front of him apparently thought that he could cut her off from the front and she'd slow down and make room for him. They both moved at the same time. The one in front cut off her escape route, and the one beside her put her down.

I could comfortably live the rest of my life without having to see the girl that I love, sliding down the freeway in front of cars. Both drivers fled. I could have easily run them down and parted them out, but I stayed with my wife. It seemed like she slid forever. I wanted to just hop off my bike and go back to help her, but I was going 55 mph, and her bike was on it's side, sliding behind me. Her bike finally slowed down enough that I just jammed the brake and let it rear-end me. Fortunately the impact didn't put me down too. I got off and sprinted back to her, but she had jumped up and ran to the shoulder.

She sustained a cracked pelvis and needed knee surgery. If she had been wearing the bottom half of her race suit, there is no doubt that she would have been uninjured by the fall.

She's spent substantial time on the road racing course since, but I have struggled emotionally with the idea of her riding on the street again, unless it's on the back of my bike.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 8:37:42 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/6/2007 8:38:54 AM EST by Sniper_Wolfe]

This is a sad story and I am sorry to read that that happened, really makes you appreciate life and that of your loved ones. I know accidents can happen anywhere, but do some of you guys refuse to ride the highway just because of all the congestion in most areas? as a new rider I think I'm stickin to the backroads until I have built up that kind of confidence.

My girlfriend won't ride on highways. She mostly sticks to 2-lane country roads and putting around town (she rides to class almost every day).

Edit to say: Highways, from what I've read from books on motorcycling, are the places where you are less likely to wreck, but more likely to die if you wreck.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 8:48:36 AM EST
In spite of what happened to us, Freeways are less dangerous than other types of public roads. Everybody is moving in the same direction at about the same speed. No cross-streets, parked cars, stop lights, driveways, and the run-off is better.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 2:07:18 PM EST

Originally Posted By KirkP:
In spite of what happened to us, Freeways are less dangerous than other types of public roads. Everybody is moving in the same direction at about the same speed. No cross-streets, parked cars, stop lights, driveways, and the run-off is better.

This is the FIRST time I will disagree with you.

The severity is greater on the Instersate system, therefore more dangerous.
It is true more crashes happen on secondary and "grey line" roads, BUT more death occurs when a crash happens on the interstate.

There is NO really safe place to ride on public roads
, not even for cages. That said, if we all worried that much about danger, we would never leave the house

Situational awareness, experience, and always LEAVE YOURSELF an OUT!
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:11:17 PM EST

This is the FIRST time I will disagree with you.

The severity is greater on the Instersate system, therefore more dangerous.
It is true more crashes happen on secondary and "grey line" roads, BUT more death occurs when a crash happens on the interstate.

There is NO really safe place to ride on public roads
, not even for cages. That said, if we all worried that much about danger, we would never leave the house

Situational awareness, experience, and always LEAVE YOURSELF an OUT!

I didn't say it was safe. I said it was less dangerous. Nothing is going to be as safe as the race track.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:56:19 PM EST
Hello everyone, to follow up well I finally bought a bike today, its a 1980 honda cb650 C. The front brakes need work cause there a little loose mayb fluid, needs new plugs and oil, and allignment of the tires because they were new but for some reason they never balanced them, other than that the clutch and everything worked top par. It was never dropped, It came with a manual and all paperwork, some extra goodies too. Has a new Battery, the clock reads 16,500 I guess the guy bought it for his girl, but he needs to get rid of it because of room. Yea I knw it has a sissy bar,but the condition is not that bad considering the age, The guy wanted 600 but I offered him 500 and he took it, whada think for a starter?

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e86/ndavink/mytoys001.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e86/ndavink/mytoys002.jpg
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:06:34 PM EST

Hello everyone,
<snip>

How heavy is it?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:36:31 PM EST
485 lbs
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:01:39 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/8/2007 4:06:21 PM EST by TruckinAR]
What do you mean by Brakes loose?
And an alignment?

When you get bored with it, I'll take it.
Sweet classic!

ETA:
change the oil before you ride it, filter it and see what comes out.
Pull the plugs and inspect / replace (post pix of plugs)
drain fuel and put a flashlight in there and look for rust. IF so, run some seafoam through it and then install a fuel filter, til you can coat the tank.
give a very thorough P.T.I. (Pre Trip Inspection) including tire pressure.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:25:20 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/8/2007 4:28:37 PM EST by nate392]
Well thnks for that advice on what to check. Well, I want to do the Oil ,plugs , airfilter need to be done and checked.
I didnt mean alligned, car talk sry I meant that the tires have to be properly balanced because watching them on the kickstand they wobble and look uneven. Most importantly my friend by eye is fairly sure it is the tire and not the rim, so I hope that's the case. The brakes in the front are not good, they stop but I was told are no where as tight as they should be. My friends and dads opinion thinking it could be the single disk it worm, or the calliper needs replacement, but I am guessing there are alot of things it could be. I just got the bike and I have not looked that into the front brakes close yet. Rears are fine. For safety reasons it must be done though before I even attempt to ride it you know
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:32:37 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/8/2007 4:35:19 PM EST by TruckinAR]

Well thnks for that advice on what to check. Well, I want to do the Oil ,plugs , airfilter need to be done and checked.
I didnt mean alligned, car talk sry I meant that the tires have to be properly balanced because watching them on the kickstand they wobble and look uneven. Most importantly my friend by eye is fairly sure it is the tire and not the rim, so I hope that's the case. The brakes in the front are not good, they stop but I was told are no where as tight as they should be. My friends and dads opinion thinking it could be the single disk it worm, or the calliper needs replacement, but I am guessing there are alot of things it could be. I just got the bike and I have not looked that into the front brakes close yet. Rears are fine. For safety reasons it must be done though before I even attempt to ride it you know

Check the spokes on the rim while yer at it, *generally* if tires are mounted correct, they should'nt be too out of balance, but having it done wont hurt.

Did you get a manual with it?

Pull front wheel and go over it, also could be the crappy stock brake line, braided may be a cheap fix.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:35:14 PM EST
I think the kindest way that I could put this is that it looks like you could have hooked up with Megan Fox and instead, you ended up hooking up with with Redd Fox.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:36:51 PM EST

I think the kindest way that I could put this is that it looks like you could have hooked up with Megan Fox and instead, you ended up hooking up with with Redd Fox.

There ain't nuttin' wrong with that bike, atleast it ain't a Harley or a Buell
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:38:52 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/8/2007 4:46:14 PM EST by nate392]
thank you truckin ar. Yes thankfully a manual did come with it, and I definately will try that. Also, I was considering getting that tank painted gloss black to touch it up. Honestly I know some of you guys prob think I should have spent more on something better and you might be right, but I kind of take a sick enjoyment on something to work on if I can learn it's mechanics with the manual and help, and $ of course . For the money I thought you couldnt beat it though.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:20:46 AM EST

What KirkP meant was
"I think the kindest way that I could put this is to not talk out my ass. Instead, i ended up sounding like a pompous ass".

Nice classic bike.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:11:27 AM EST

ya know, if I had to choose between Redd Foxx or Megan Fox..... I'd take ol' Red, he's a funny sum beach... I could find some damned fine pie with Red hangin' out with me
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:37:39 PM EST
hmmm..Redd Foxx, I think I found a new name for the bike...
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:00:40 PM EST

thank you truckin ar. Yes thankfully a manual did come with it, and I definately will try that. Also, I was considering getting that tank painted gloss black to touch it up. Honestly I know some of you guys prob think I should have spent more on something better and you might be right, but I kind of take a sick enjoyment on something to work on if I can learn it's mechanics with the manual and help, and $ of course . For the money I thought you couldnt beat it though.

I am the same way, hence my '99 XT350.
That, and I am a cheap ass bitch....

Its got two wheels and it is NOT a Harley.... well done.

BTW: 99% of HOGs suck ass.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:09:48 PM EST

Hello everyone, to follow up well I finally bought a bike today, its a 1980 honda cb650 C.

Hello 80's Universal Japanese Motorcycle.
Looks like you need to replace the head gasket.
Buckhorn bars, gotta love them.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:28:00 AM EST

There ain't nuttin' wrong with that bike, atleast it ain't a Harley or a Buell

Buell might not be too bad, especially a Rotax powered one
Top Top