Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2016 3:47:21 PM EDT
Hidden in Plain Sight just got a lot more high tech.

Here's a look at the first "in the wild" 1450M Mirror system with the new RFID lock-

Link Posted: 4/10/2016 3:51:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 4:00:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmm.  Dead battery and it unlocks.  
Not sure how I feel about that.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 4:04:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Thats the crappy part about maglocks. They just used off the shelf access control stuff. I'd prefer it to have a power supply with battery backup. Easiest thing in the world. Since it is a mirror already, I would do led tape around tge edges to act as backlighting, and have it plug into a wall outlet. Low profile, and gives you am easy feed for your access control power supply.

Link Posted: 4/10/2016 4:10:45 PM EDT
[#4]
"Not sure why they would run the cordage this high"

Well dude, thats because I dont want to crawl around on the floor to drill out the studs for muh wires.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 4:15:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thats the crappy part about maglocks. They just used off the shelf access control stuff. I'd prefer it to have a power supply with battery backup. Easiest thing in the world. Since it is a mirror already, I would do led tape around tge edges to act as backlighting, and have it plug into a wall outlet. Low profile, and gives you am easy feed for your access control power supply.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Possibly with a different color LED scheme as a 'low power' alert.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 4:16:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Proactive battery changes would make this a non issue usually but given how long a cr123 battery lasts forgetting to replace it is a possibility and having it die would mean you'd wind up destroying the device trying to get it open should the battery die prematurely.  Plus we've all heard of the the unlucky guy who buys the knock off surefires at gunshows that die a few days after installing them.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 4:28:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Why not build it with a "fail latched" setup and have a mechanical backup lock for the system? I think this whole idea of hiding it behind a mirror is retarded. Then again, what do I know. It's not like I've designed installed access/intrusion detection systems on explosives magazines or anything.

Link Posted: 4/10/2016 4:32:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Proactive battery changes would make this a non issue usually but given how long a cr123 battery lasts forgetting to replace it is a possibility and having it die would mean you'd wind up destroying the device trying to get it open should the battery die prematurely.  Plus we've all heard of the the unlucky guy who buys the knock off surefires at gunshows that die a few days after installing them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have a key lock somewhere.  My electronic safe I keep by the bed has an electronic combination plus a key incase the batteries die.

If I did not have kids I would like the idea, but I am gone sometimes for several days.  I do not want the lock unlocking while I am away and the wife forgetting to check it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 6:36:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Have a key lock somewhere.  My electronic safe I keep by the bed has an electronic combination plus a key incase the batteries die.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That would ruin the "discreet" nature of the system.  There is no way to know what it is, short of ripping it out of the wall.

If I did not have kids I would like the idea, but I am gone sometimes for several days.  I do not want the lock unlocking while I am away and the wife forgetting to check it.

Unless it gets a bad battery, you shouldn't have to worry about it dying unexpectedly if you are replacing the battery every year or three.  It also has a low battery chirp.  In the case of the mirror, if the battery does die it'll still be closed, you'd have to manually push it open, it wouldn't slide open on it's own.  Telling your children about the secret nature of the mirror would be your call, unless they saw it in action, they'd have no idea what it is or to try and slide it open.

Link Posted: 4/11/2016 1:56:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Well dude, thats because I dont want to crawl around on the floor to drill out the studs for muh wires.
View Quote

Surprises the hell out of us non electrician types lol
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 2:45:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/11/2016 2:46:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice video OP

Enjoyed meeting you at Big 3 East!!
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:32:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nice video OP

Enjoyed meeting you at Big 3 East!!
View Quote

Thank you, it was great meeting you as well!
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:38:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top