Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2016 9:20:50 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I'm a long time reader on this forum, especially in the retro AR section. I've sent my fair share of PMs but have never posted.

I am in the process of patenting a design for a bolt action AR upper that doesn't use a buffer tube. I mostly developed it for SBR use in 300 Blk, but I think it might be attractive for our guys that live behind enemy lines. I also think it has potential for precision builds.

I am interested in getting some feedback on my design and seeing how much interest it generates. Would it be okay to post my concept even though I haven't posted before? If so, what subforum should I post it in?

Thanks for the input!

Steve
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:22:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Great question
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:23:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great question
View Quote

How did you post that?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:26:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

How did you post that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Great question

How did you post that?
Magnets

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:27:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Why would anyone want a bolt action AR upper? If I want a bolt gun I'd rather have a dedicated gun. Not some Mickey Mouse contraption. On top of thighs market is pretty saturated with crap as it is.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:30:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Why would anyone want a bolt action AR upper? If I want a bolt gun I'd rather have a dedicated gun. Not some Mickey Mouse contraption. On top of thighs market is pretty saturated with crap as it is.
View Quote
Those that can't have a semi-auto one, or one that is so frankenstined it's butt-ugly.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:30:32 PM EDT
[#6]
How far along are you in the patent process?

If it is too early, you might risk losing your ability to get a patent if you discuss certain details publicly.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:30:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote
I'm interested to hear what he has thought of. I just can't answer his question on where to post.

Edit due to miss reading op

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:31:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Magnets

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great question

How did you post that?
Magnets

Exactly, you lift the magnet off the fridge and put your idea under it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:33:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Why would anyone want a bolt action AR upper?
If I want a bolt gun I'd rather have a dedicated gun. Not some Mickey Mouse contraption. On top of thighs market is pretty saturated with crap as it is.
View Quote

Endless options for stocks, barrels, triggers, pistol grips and readily available replacement small parts?

I have no need for it, but if all I could own is a bolt gun, I would give it some consideration.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:37:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Freakzilla 2?

Freakzilla Incident
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:42:02 PM EDT
[#11]
We moved to a "first to invent", right?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:57:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
We moved to a "first to invent", right?
View Quote

Uh, no...

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:01:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:05:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How far along are you in the patent process?

If it is too early, you might risk losing your ability to get a patent if you discuss certain details publicly.

View Quote

Thank you for the cautionary note. I actually still have a ways to go on the patent itself, which will be for my BCG and proprietary spring design. I will be careful not to disclose information other than the philosophy behind it and the features as of yet.

Much appreciated input.

SWG
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:07:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It doesn't sound like a bolt action. I'm interested to hear what he has thought of. I just can't answer his question on where to post.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It doesn't sound like a bolt action. I'm interested to hear what he has thought of. I just can't answer his question on where to post.

Glad you want to hear about it! I will post a link to the concept thread once somebody can tell me what subforum I should post it in.

Thanks!

SWG
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:10:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Seriously?

There are tons and tons of AR accessories and very high quality parts out there. Some states you can't hunt with a semi auto rifle. Bolt guns can't be assembled as easily as ARs in most cases and often require even more specialty tools.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:10:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Glad you want to hear about it! I will post a link to the concept thread once somebody can tell me what subforum I should post it in.

Thanks!

SWG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

SWG

I'd post it in AR discussions or in "Build it yourself"
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:11:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Endless options for stocks, barrels, triggers, pistol grips and readily available replacement small parts?

I have no need for it, but if all I could own is a bolt gun, I would give it some consideration.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly, I think there is a market for an affordable and modular manually operated design that takes detachable box magazines in states with assault weapons bans like NY, CA, MA (where I currently live), and others. I think there might also be some interest coming from states where semi autos cannot be used for hunting.

Thanks for posting.

SWG
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:11:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Seriously?

There are tons and tons of AR accessories and very high quality parts out there. Some states you can't hunt with a semi auto rifle. Bolt guns can't be assembled as easily as ARs in most cases and often require even more specialty tools.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously?

Yes, but if I'm to have a bolt gun, I'd rather have a dedicated bolt gun not some liberal postban abortion of the semi.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:13:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Seriously?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously?

Exactly! I started this project because I moved from Montana to Massachusetts.

SWG
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:18:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yes, but if I'm to have a bolt gun, I'd rather have a dedicated bolt gun not some liberal postban abortion of the semi.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously?

The real start to this project was that I have an SBR and a .30 suppressor at home in MT. I have a 10.5" 300 BLK upper that is quiet, but the action is loud when cycling. I wanted to have a 300 BLK bolt gun, but any barrel longer than 10" shooting subs is just wasted space and weight. I didn't think it made sense to SBR a bolt action, so instead I decided to build a bolt action upper.

However, when I moved to MA, I found that there are a lot of guys that want to use their ARs in all their evil glory behind enemy lines and realized there's more potential to this than just my 300 BLK upper.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:22:49 PM EDT
[#23]

Thank you for posting those.

I had actually seen most of the vids in my brainstorming phase. The concept is similar to mine, but the operating principle is a bit different. I've designed a proprietary spring design that does away with the buffer tube and allows for side folding collapsible stocks.

I would summarize my upper as similar to British straight pull ARs in function and similar to the Troy PAR in features except it fits on a standard lower rather than using a proprietary design and can use short barrels.

I'll post some more info when I finish answering these posts and get to making a concept thread!

Thanks,

SWG
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:23:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously?

Why? Give me a quality upper built on the AR chassis with a side charger any day. It would take incredibly common mags of different capacity, you'd have the ability to swap calibers quickly and easily, and you could utilize the giant aftermarket that the AR has.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:24:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

SWG

I'm going to put it in AR Discussions since it looks like the other is more geared toward providing tech support.

I will post a link in this thread once it's done.

Thanks!

Steve
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:26:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Why? Give me a quality upper built on the AR chassis with a side charger any day. It would take incredibly common mags of different capacity, you'd have the ability to swap calibers quickly and easily, and you could utilize the giant aftermarket that the AR has.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously?

Not to mention not having to worry about the nightmare that free floating a barrel can be when using a conventional stock! Glad you're accepting of the general idea.

More to come!

SWG
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:28:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Freakzilla 2?

Freakzilla Incident
View Quote

my first thought
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:34:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

my first thought
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Freakzilla 2?

Freakzilla Incident

my first thought

Could you give me a brief synopsis as you seem familiar with it?

Thanks in advance!

Steve
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:11:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Thanks in advance!

Steve
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Freakzilla 2?

Freakzilla Incident

my first thought

Thanks in advance!

Steve

ARFcom 101

Freakzilla Incident, The - It started out as a declaration of innovation. ARFCOMer Freakzilla, created a thread on April 25th, 2010, announcing that he had invented something new for the AR15 rifle. He claimed that, in his own words, "it's something that Eugene should have thought of" (For the uneducated - "Eugene" refers to Eugene Stoner - inventor of the AR15 rifle platform). With much anticipation, conjecture, and skepticism, accusations of trolling were rebutted with claims about patent application submission, prototype development, testing, and - in the words of Borat - "Great success!" With all the hype and build-up the thread was generating, you'd think Freakzilla was an employee of Apple's marketing division. The day finally came, and the investion "that Eugene should have thought of" was revealed in a YouTube video –– a bump of what appeared to be J-B Weld on the inside of the dust cover. The purpose? To indicate an out-of-battery Bolt Carrier Group. Expected MSRP - ~$50. The doubters wept in hysterics. The believers ignited signal fires across the many mountains of the world, calling for the tarring, feathering, crucifixion, hanging, drawing, quartering, and running out of town on a rail (in that order) of Freakzilla. As the dust settled, the aftermath was made clear. Many were disappointed, many more were entertained, and someone bought Freakzilla a Team Membership.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:23:35 PM EDT
[#30]
HAHAHA that was great!

Guys, I don't claim to be reinventing the wheel here! I just think I have a concept that might address some legal constraints in certain restrictive jurisdictions (like the one I just moved into) and wanted to get an idea of whether there is enough interest out there to warrant a test production run of 20-25 receivers.

I'm glad to see that there is in fact interest and will certainly be making a trial run once I have my provisional patent.

In the meantime, I'd appreciate some input on whether people would like ambi charging handles or whether right side is enough.

Also, any thoughts on the Faxon Streamline handguards?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:28:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Combine it with the ares ACR and it could be pretty cool.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:32:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Post the damn pictures already
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:39:16 PM EDT
[#33]
just buy a barrel without a gas hole in it....or remove the gas tube and weld the gas tube hole closed....
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:42:28 PM EDT
[#34]
How would this be different from the Ruger Precision Rifle?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:00:28 AM EDT
[#35]
So it sounds like a side charging upper, chop the back of the carrier off right at the firing pin with a Dremel and a no gas port barrel? Or something fancy where the bolt handle actually turns the locking lugs?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:47:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Post the damn pictures already
View Quote

Externally, it looks like a regular reciprocating charing handle upper, except it has a full side-folding stock. Think ACE, Stormwerkz, Remington XLS, etc. It doesn't have a big hole at the end of the receiver and a bolt moving through it like the ingenious LAW folding adapter.

I will certainly post as I get closer to being ready to sell something!

SWG
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:50:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Combine it with the ares ACR and it could be pretty cool.
View Quote

Hey, were you referring to the MCR?

SWG
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:55:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
How would this be different from the Ruger Precision Rifle?
View Quote

It will cost less than half the price of the RPR, it's chambered in short action calibers and you could use it on your SBR or pistol lowers in 300 BLK for the ultimate quiet subsonic suppressed build.

SWG
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:57:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So it sounds like a side charging upper, chop the back of the carrier off right at the firing pin with a Dremel and a no gas port barrel? Or something fancy where the bolt handle actually turns the locking lugs?
View Quote

It's a bit more involved. More info to come!

SWG
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:17:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top