Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2005 10:19:51 AM EDT

They just got the trampoline for Christmas and they love it.

In this pic they are taking turns bouncing accross the mat and into the opposite wall.  "RAAAAAA!"

Link Posted: 1/4/2005 11:22:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice, I will have to keep this in mind for our little one afters/he has arrived... well, maybe a couple years after
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 12:11:43 PM EDT
[#2]
from a parent who has been there... please be really careful with the kids on there. My youngest daughter broke her leg on one when they were jumping with more then one child on it. She came down as they went up and "snap" went the leg.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 12:31:56 PM EDT
[#3]
It looks like they could gnaw their way out.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 12:44:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Also watch your homeowners insurance. Guy I work with had it go up 100.00 when he filled out the renewal paperwork and checked that he had one.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 12:56:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Can we come over and play?  
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 12:59:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Those things cause so many injuries ...

jumpking-trampolines-guide.com/trampoline-injuries.htm
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 3:12:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
from a parent who has been there... please be really careful with the kids on there. My youngest daughter broke her leg on one when they were jumping with more then one child on it. She came down as they went up and "snap" went the leg.

Both of them were on for the photo op.    They normally take turns.

Thank you for your concern Cyanide, but most things that are fun have injury potential.  I'm not the type to wrap them in bubble wrap and protect them from the world.  Besides it's gotta be safer for them to bounce on the trampoline (with supervision) than their previous option of bouncing on the bed.    

And heck, by the time I was my son's age, I could get over a story high in our black walnut tree.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 7:55:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 8:20:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 8:23:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been on trampolines all my life, they are really fun. The only real dangerous things about them are the springs and double jumping. If someone else hits the tramp at the right time when you land, it'll fling you up pretty high. And if you don't have cat like balance, it can be fatal.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 8:51:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 3:51:12 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I got double bounced on a trampoline when I was 15.  I fractured one bone, crushed another, and moved the growth plate all in my left ankle.  I came down with my foot slightly turned in.  They heard the bones break about 25 feet away.  I was in casts for 2 months.  The orthopedic surgeon said I was very lucky everything fell where it did or else I would have needed surgery.  I can still predict when it's going to snow with that ankle.

I went to a very small hospital that night at at about 9pm and I was the 3rd trampoline injury.  Another girl had broken both her wrists by putting her hands out to catch herself when she got bounced off.  The other person was thought to have a broken back due to someone landing on them.

I haven't been on a trampoline since.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 4:18:31 AM EDT
[#13]

Because of the injury risks associated with the trampoline, the American Academy of Pediatrics has recommended that trampolines never be used at home, on playgrounds, in physical education classes, or for athletic competition. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has stated that children under six years old, because of their immature motor skills, should not use trampolines in any setting.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 5:12:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 6:40:10 AM EDT
[#15]

Thanks for the horror stories guys.    

Already said they don't bounce together.  So double bouncing is not a problem.  There is a safety net, so there is less chance of being "bounced off".  It's not near any structure, so no chance of them trying to bounce from the roof to the trampoline either.  And to put it quite honestly, (and possibly harshly) if they are so eager for an injury that they get the gumption to move the thing all the way over to a structure, climb up said structure and jump into the trampoline - they deserve any injury that results.  

Having a son, he already has a BMX bike, and I suspect there will be guns, skate boards, rollerblades, motorcycles, hang gliding, surfing, wakeboarding, etc. in the future.  I expect he will test every law of physics and he may learn a few rules the hard way.  I'm also 100% sure that whatever he does the daughter will be doing right behind him.  And things he doesn't think of, she'll be doing first.    It's all good.  

I'm not offended by your responses, so don't take it that way, but if someone were to say "you're teaching your 6 yr old (7, 8, 9, 10 etc) about guns!  Don't you know they'll shoot their eye out?!" or "You have children, so you should have a trigger lock on every gun in your house including your CCW.  In fact don't carry the ccw keep the trigger lock on and keep it in the safe just to be sure.  But if you were really a 'good' parent you wouldn't have guns in the house at all!" You'd make the face that I'm making right now -  Just give me the benefit of the doubt that we'll use it safely and/or face the consequences.  

Oh, and thanks for posting your concerns again Cy, I'm so glad you care so much about my humble family; but I do have a copy of the user's manual.    I can send a copy to you if you like, signed and notarized that I will hold you harmless if my children sustain any injury while bouncing on my trampoline in my yard under my supervision while you are in your home in Ohio.  

DF:  Bubblewrap is a choaking and suffocation hazzard!  I could take their pic in one of these get ups.  Padded cell and all - just to be sure:

Link Posted: 1/5/2005 6:46:05 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Thanks for the horror stories guys.    

Already said they don't bounce together.  So double bouncing is not a problem.  There is a safety net, so there is less chance of being "bounced off".  It's not near any structure, so no chance of them trying to bounce from the roof to the trampoline either.  And to put it quite honestly, (and possibly harshly) if they are so eager for an injury that they get the gumption to move the thing all the way over to a structure, climb up said structure and jump into the trampoline - they deserve any injury that results.  

Having a son, he already has a BMX bike, and I suspect there will be guns, skate boards, rollerblades, motorcycles, hang gliding, surfing, wakeboarding, etc. in the future.  I expect he will test every law of physics and he may learn a few rules the hard way.  I'm also 100% sure that whatever he does the daughter will be doing right behind him.  And things he doesn't think of, she'll be doing first.    It's all good.  

I'm not offended by your responses, so don't take it that way, but if someone were to say "you're teaching your 6 yr old (7, 8, 9, 10 etc) about guns!  Don't you know they'll shoot their eye out?!" or "You have children, so you should have a trigger lock on every gun in your house including your CCW.  In fact don't carry the ccw keep the trigger lock on and keep it in the safe just to be sure.  But if you were really a 'good' parent you wouldn't have guns in the house at all!" You'd make the face that I'm making right now -  Just give me the benefit of the doubt that we'll use it safely and/or face the consequences.  

Oh, and thanks for posting your concerns again Cy, I'm so glad you care so much about my humble family; but I do have a copy of the user's manual.    I can send a copy to you if you like, signed and notarized that I will hold you harmless if my children sustain any injury while bouncing on my trampoline in my yard under my supervision while you are in your home in Ohio.  

DF:  Bubblewrap is a choaking and suffocation hazzard!  I could take their pic in one of these get ups.  Padded cell and all - just to be sure:

sj.blacksteel.com/padded-cell/Posey03.jpg

My daughter already owns a gun and she's 4.  We're drilling gun safety into her as often as possible
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 6:48:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 6:52:09 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

My daughter already owns a gun and she's 4.  We're drilling gun safety into her as often as possible

You bad parent you!  

Should I get some references from the AAP, CPSC, and the CDC, or are you good to go?  
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 6:58:09 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You bad parent you!  

Should I get some references from the AAP, CPSC, and the CDC, or are you good to go?  

I know I'm rotten and horrible.

All good thanks
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 7:02:08 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm a bad mommy, too.  My 18 month old is playing with a toy that is clearly labeled "ages 3+".  

Life itself is a risk.  If the kids are properly supervised, you have a net, and they don't jump together, then I don't see how it is any more dangerous than riding a bicycle.  What about those inflatable jumper things that they have at fairs and birthday parties?  They stuff those things so full of kids that they wind up bouncing off of each other more than the toy!  I'd say that is more dangerous than Persephone's trampoline.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 7:05:36 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I'm a bad mommy, too.  My 18 month old is playing with a toy that is clearly labeled "ages 3+".  

Life itself is a risk.  If the kids are properly supervised, you have a net, and they don't jump together, then I don't see how it is any more dangerous than riding a bicycle.  What about those inflatable jumper things that they have at fairs and birthday parties?  They stuff those things so full of kids that they wind up bouncing off of each other more than the toy!  I'd say that is more dangerous than Persephone's trampoline.

There's just something about trampolines that lead to injury.  I dunno what or why.......... it just is
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 7:05:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 7:10:04 AM EDT
[#23]
There has been an an increase from 60,000 trampoline injuries per year to around 80,000 per year according to google that resulted in emergency room trips.  Just be careful and don't let them get too crazy!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 7:12:18 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

We should outlaw them and start with registration. Same with swimming pools.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 7:14:45 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm just surprised that I survived to adulthood.  I jumped on trampolines with 3 or more people jumping at the same time with no net on a regular basis, did stunts on my bicycle without any protective gear, rollerskated in teh street without a helmet, and jumped off the top of the bunk beds.  I came through all of those things with nothing more than a few skinned knees and elbows, but I broke my elbow playing hide and seek.   (At 13, I managed to break my wrist on a bicycle as well, but I dodged the truck that was coming at me.)  
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 7:16:27 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We should outlaw them and start with registration. Same with swimming pools.

Don't forget bicycles, especially those "assault bikes", you know the ones with all the fancy features that just make them more dangerous, like gears and stuff.  Nobody needs one of those!  Tricycles are all you really need.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 7:26:57 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
There's just something about trampolines that lead to injury.  I dunno what or why.......... it just is

Pretty sure it has a lot to do with the person using it and how it is being used.  Same statement can be made about anything being used improperly or in a risky manner.  

Things that were on my playground when I was growing up that you don't see on playgrounds anymore:

Those really tall skinny metal slides
teeter totters
merry-go-rounds
grass (they are all padded w/ mulch)

I really miss the merry-go-rounds.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 7:33:36 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty sure it has a lot to do with the person using it and how it is being used.  Same statement can be made about anything being used improperly or in a risky manner.  

Things that were on my playground when I was growing up that you don't see on playgrounds anymore:

teeter totters
merry-go-rounds

Wow, we've still got twisty tall metal slides, teeter totters and merry-go-rounds.  Maybe you need to come here just to play on the playground..
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 7:36:02 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

teeter totters
merry-go-rounds

I miss the merry go rounds a lot, too.  I also haven't seen a real jungle gym in ages.  Playgrounds now have those darn bridge things which seem to serve no purpose.    Those metal slides were great in teh summer time, weren't they?  Esecially if you were wearing shorts. I have a few scars from those.  In elementary school, we used to line up and take turns going down the slide sideways and bumping into the people at the bottom of the slide.  It was a contest to see who could stay on the longest.    Those were the days....  McDonald's used to have the great metal merry go rounds, along with those pebbles instead of mulch or grass.  Those pebbles always seemed like a bad idea to me.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 7:42:10 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Wow, we've still got twisty tall metal slides, teeter totters and merry-go-rounds.  Maybe you need to come here just to play on the playground..

woo hoo!  I don't know what happened to the playgrounds around here.  They all went pc or something.  

Isn't that the real reason to have kids - so you can play on the playground without looking creepy.    (yes, I plan to use the trampoline as much as the kids)
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 7:43:09 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

woo hoo!  I don't know what happened to the playgrounds around here.  They all went pc or something.  

Isn't that the real reason to have kids - so you can play on the playground without looking creepy.    (yes, I plan to use the trampoline as much as the kids)

I'd love to play on them still but unfortunately!!  I'm now 5'8" so my favorite event of the monkey bars no longer allows me to participate!
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 7:43:56 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I can send off some bubble wrap and duct tape to you ladies with chillins if need be.

Naa, daddy used to just duct tape us to the wall.  No need for the bubblewrap.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 7:51:02 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Absolutely! I have witnessed a broken leg as a result of more than one child on the trampoline, and it happened for the same reason you mention: "She came down as they went up."
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 8:13:28 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutely! I have witnessed a broken leg as a result of more than one child on the trampoline, and it happened for the same reason you mention: "She came down as they went up."

first let me say, I said that not because I thought persephone was being a "bad" mom by buying a trampoline. I said it out of kindness because I don't want the same thing to happen to her kids as happened to mine. persephone and I have discussed this in IM and all is cool.

second, I got this qoute off this link. clearly stating, trampolines are really no more dangerous with proper usage then bicycle riding etc.

We believe trampolining is like any other sport, precautions and safety must be observed. It is clear that injuries can occur in all sports  activities, based on our survey results trampolines do not appear to provide any greater potential for risk or injury. In fact we can clearly see that bicycling and football offer a much greater risk of injury. I don’t think I have heard anyone say we can’t let our children ride their bike because they may get injured

accidents happen, my brother was run over by a truck while on his bike, mom didn't take his bike away. My daugther broke her leg on a trampoline, I didn't forbid use of one again, we just observed the safety precautions better.

Link Posted: 1/5/2005 8:20:54 AM EDT
[#35]
I personally chose to avoid future use of trampolines.  It was a very very painful experience for me as my parents did not believe in using pain killers.  So now I use them every time they're prescribed!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 12:09:50 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

teeter totters
merry-go-rounds

How about those really high nice smooth metal monkey bar units?  Now those were fun.
And none of this soft mulch...we had concrete to fall onto!  

Link Posted: 1/5/2005 12:55:32 PM EDT
[#37]
I guess none of you folks ever saw the Man Show

the babes on trampolines segment... ?

www.metropublicity.com/press_release_7_11_2003.html
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:11:30 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

teeter totters
merry-go-rounds

How about those really high nice smooth metal monkey bar units?  Now those were fun.
And none of this soft mulch...we had concrete to fall onto!  

+1

My elementary school had a playground over a blacktop surface.  In Houston, blacktop (asphalt) in the summertime gets hot enough to raise a blister.  Not to mention missing a rung on the monkey bars and falling head-first.

We all lived.  We have some cool scars and sometimes we forget things like our pants, but there was no serious damage.

Why is it so drafty in here?  Aw, hell....
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:00:09 AM EDT
[#39]

When I was a young'un I used to run home after school everyday (in a foot of snow with winds over 30mph) wearing just a light jacket that I never zipped up carrying scissors in one hand and a dull pocket knife in the other, throw all my wet clothes on the kitchen floor then dash upstairs where I kept my always loaded, never on safe, fully automatic red rider assault bb weapon. I would then jump out my bedroom window and land on the old ice covered trampoline. I would hit that thing so hard that all the lawn darts I left laying there would bounce up at least 30 feet before raining down all over the backyard. Heck I had so much fun then except when I had to do my chores, things like pouring gas on the fire ant nests to kill them off and throwing rocks at the neighbors dogs so they wouldn't forget this was our yard and keep away.
The worse day came when I was helping pa push start the old ford pinto, I remember it so well. I would get behind the wheel and he would push, after coasting up to around 30 I would pop the clutch and the thing would start.  Anyway I couldn't see over the dash so I would just keep the wheel straight till I got to the stop light where I would just make a u-turn and drive back to dear old dad. But not this time, nope the wheel had been turned and instead of bouncing down the dirt driveway with the first push I went careening through the front yard. I hit both the washer and the dryer but luckily missed the firebird sitting there by the weed patch. After bouncing off the old school bus that sis lived in I crashed straight into my best friend ever, my old trampoline. Well to make a long story short even though I did destroy both the car and the trampoline (not to mention the washer, dryer, sis's house, lawndarts etc.) If that trampoline hadn't been there to stop me I would have had time to jump out of the car before it went into the pond. Instead I was pinned in when the thing got wrapped around the car.
Luckily the pond wasn't that deep and sis's boyfriend knew cpr and the damaged from lack of oxygen always sounds worse than it actually is, But still, I came close that day and I have never forgotten how my life changed due the most dangerous childrens toy ever made, that dern trampoline.
So take from someone who barely survived having one as a kid, those darn things are dangerous!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:52:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top