Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/15/2005 6:19:35 PM EDT
I'm tired of hearing that New Orleans is some type of cultural haven in a sea of southern cotton pickin' yokel cities. The people in Biloxi are probably outraged by the press NO is getting, or the would be if they had power back...

Honestly, I've never been so I can't say first hand, but it seems that this is just hyperbole. New York and Chicago were stronger influences on Jazz than NO, but you are now hearing that NO is the source of all things groovin'. The French Quarter? Every city has it's various bar districts. We have our Shockoe Bottom and Shockoe slip, but cultural meccas they are not...

Basically, any city that is tolerant of parties and the party culture, will develop a similar reputation. Look at Vegas, look at Key west, Look at Miami... My dad says that Havana was that way in the Batistia days...
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:24:41 PM EDT
Pick up a history book…

New Orleans no doubt has very significant historical and cultural value. With all its faults it is a singular place in this country there is nothing like it elsewhere in the US, and I do not mean that in a bad way.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:27:49 PM EDT
I don't know. Olangapo, PI had a lot of cool bars, jazz, and women would show you more than their breasts. Plus it wouldn't cost more than a few hundred bucks to rebuild. Course, everyone would have evacuated too
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:29:06 PM EDT
Jazz and the Blues weren't created by a contented middle class.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:29:24 PM EDT
Yeah, an underwater national treasure! Well the buildings are a treasure, not the people.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:29:51 PM EDT
Neww Orleans/Dixieland Jazz moved to Chicago around the time of the First World War.

New Orleans also helped bring us Ragtime.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:36:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2005 6:39:04 PM EDT by Max_Mike]

Originally Posted By KlubMarcus:
Yeah, an underwater national treasure! Well the buildings are a treasure, not the people.

Watch or read the news... the French Quarter was not flooded.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:38:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:
Neww Orleans/Dixieland Jazz moved to Chicago around the time of the First World War.

Yep without New Orleans there is no Chicago Jazz.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:39:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2005 6:40:21 PM EDT by sniper1az]
I truly feel sorry for all of those people down there, but the Hurricane was the best thing that ever happened to that shithole. Now they will have an endless supply of money to get rid of the slums and rebuild it into what they have been wanting for the last 300 years!

That place was really a boil on the ass of progress. What a dump. And now we all get to pay for a new city.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:40:27 PM EDT
Battle of New Orleans. Friendly Pirates.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:40:54 PM EDT
Face it. The gov't is going to steal your money to re-build whore houses on swamp land.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:43:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Janus:
Face it. The gov't is going to steal your money to re-build whore houses on swamp land.

Well, OK then.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:46:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Max_Mike:

Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:

Yep without New Orleans there is no Chicago Jazz.

Without Paris, Rome, or Vienna, the classical art(s) world would suffer as well. However, this is not the primary reason one would select for rebuilding them if they got spanked. It seems like a sketchy slogan for a rebuilding campaign as you'd think commercial viability would dominate. Now, obviously NO is a tourist town, and this reputation is a factor, but most tourists go there for the party, not to study the origins of jazz.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:48:52 PM EDT
From what I've always heard, New Orleans was a crime infested sewer and one of the dirtiest cities in the industrialized world. Good riddance.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:49:58 PM EDT
not since the battle of new orleans (1815?) till katrina

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:19:56 PM EDT
Also some of the flooded areas were covered by anywhere from 6 inches to a couple of feet of water.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:35:38 PM EDT
In New Orleans, as of a about month ago, you could find:
Great bars, blues and jazz clubs, coffee and beignets, awesome seafood, cajun food, and some strip joints.

If you can live without that, then carry on.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:39:49 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:43:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2005 7:43:27 PM EDT by thedave1164]
The world survived the loss of Alexandria, and the works there. Much bigger contribution to the world than the cresent city. I think we as a nation could stand the loss of New Orleans
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:44:06 PM EDT
I tired of all this NOLA BS..

Why don't we take all the buildings and trees below sea level and bulldoze it all into a pile and burn it all, Then take the levy's down and flood it with sea water.

We can change the name from New Orleans to New Venice...
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:45:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By giacutter:
Great bars, blues and jazz clubs, coffee and beignets, awesome seafood, cajun food, and some strip joints.

You can find that in Minneapolis too...
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:46:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Aimless:

Originally Posted By motown_steve:
From what I've always heard, New Orleans was a crime infested sewer and one of the dirtiest cities in the industrialized world. Good riddance.

I may have 30 gazillion posts on the internet, but you guys need to get out of the house more often

New Orleans is one of those places that is very good and very bad.

The good lives on the high ground (suburbs)

The bad lives in the shadow of levees......

I have been in and out of NOLA for many years, it is a shithole...period.

Before the Johnson administration is was quite tolarable........
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:47:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2005 7:49:03 PM EDT by Arkansas_Rocketman]
It's "cultural traesure" if your idea of culture is the smell of old beer, vomit, and urine all mixed together. And that was Before the chemicals, sewage, and dead bodies got added.

Edited to add: 'Course, the food was good. Breakfast at Mother's rules.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:24:17 PM EDT
I can't believe this rascist bullshit that you assholes have picked from the liberals who care so much about the people. Pay attention. What you are really saying is that you don't want to rebuild a city full of poor black people. Did anyone say this shit when new york got whacked? Or the florida coast? or After the quake in california? NO, because you idiots have sucked up the liberal shit stain line of the month about the southern black man and keeping him down. Why don't you just stay up north where you belong and we will do it ourselves. And Motown I can't believe this from you...you ran from Detroit. You know the South is a better place and New Orleans is part of the South. I know here in flyover country, we don't really matter to you bunch of yankees and coast bunnies...that's just fine . Next time one of you get hit we will pull the same bullshit out of our pockets and use it on you.

<­BR>
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:29:31 PM EDT
I've never been there but my brother went to Mardi Gras last year. He said that if you wanted to give the United States an enema, New Orleans is where you'd insert the hose.

(still a damn shame, though.)
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:32:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By hound:
And Motown I can't believe this from you...you ran from Detroit. You know the South is a better place and New Orleans is part of the South.

If the South is a better place, that is only because a lot of the bad of the South moved to Detroit and made it the shithole that it is today. If everyone with Southern roots left Detroit it would be the best city in the country...
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:39:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By squeezecockerp7m8:

And Motown I can't believe this from you...you ran from Detroit. You know the South is a better place and New Orleans is part of the South.

If the South is a better place, that is only because a lot of the bad of the South moved to Detroit and made it the shithole that it is today. If everyone with Southern roots left Detroit it would be the best city in the country...

Say what???, you YANKEE!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:51:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jkstexas2001:

Say what???, you YANKEE!!!!!

All you Southerners back then, that had a compass, came to Detroit to work in the auto industry...5 dollar day and all that...there was nothing equivalent in the South, or none of you would have come up here...
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:55:34 PM EDT
Everybody on the Gulf Coast east of Biloxi is really pissed off about the lack of media coverage of their towns. My wife's cousin in Pascagoula felt betrayed when my wife told her that Pascagoula hasn't even been mentioned in the mass media. They had no idea, they didn't have power or phones for two weeks. They are still hurting. They were hit just as hard as Biloxi, they just didn't have as many deaths. Mobile is also hurting, too.

The only thing that is running right is Walmart and a couple of insurance companies. State Farm hasn't even sent any of their adjusters out to survey the damage. MS Farm Bureau and Progressive were checking on their customers the day after the hurricane, sometimes twice for flood and wind damage. The Red Cross is still holed up in their temporary offices in a church. FEMA was just driving around the first week, they had a tent set up but now they are doing stuff for people, like setting up temporary housing (RV's and trailer hookups) and handing out blue tarps.

My wife was going to go back to the coast this weekend, but her grandfather died of complications from pneumonia Tuesday night. He was recovering from gastro-intestinal surgery. She was able to call her cousin at work. Her cousin works for the city, she's doubly frustrated.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:02:49 PM EDT

All you Southerners back then, that had a compass, came to Detroit to work in the auto industry...5 dollar day and all that...there was nothing equivalent in the South, or none of you would have come up here...

And then when the jobs dried up and started laying people off, lots of Yankess came back to mooch off their relatives that stayed down here. They spend their leisure time talking about how economically depressed the South is when they aren't flipping burgers at McLovingIt or frying chicken at KFC..If they liked the North so much, why the heck didn't they stay up there?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:14:50 PM EDT

So then would you kindly please, quit sending all your Q-tips to Florida.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:37:41 AM EDT

I can't believe this rascist bullshit that you assholes have picked from the liberals who care so much about the people. Pay attention. What you are really saying is that you don't want to rebuild a city full of poor black people. Did anyone say this shit when new york got whacked? Or the florida coast? or After the quake in california? NO, because you idiots have sucked up the liberal shit stain line of the month about the southern black man and keeping him down. Why don't you just stay up north where you belong and we will do it ourselves. And Motown I can't believe this from you...you ran from Detroit. You know the South is a better place and New Orleans is part of the South. I know here in flyover country, we don't really matter to you bunch of yankees and coast bunnies...that's just fine . Next time one of you get hit we will pull the same bullshit out of our pockets and use it on you.

I think you are over-reacting. Re-read the thread.

As for the South being a better place...well, I just spent two weeks in Alabama, and it reminded me why I hadn't bothered to go back to that state in 30 years. To each their own, however.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:29:38 AM EDT

I like living in the South as much as the next guy, but I don't count New Orleans as some kind of cultural treasure. For years, New Orleans has been known to the majority of the world as nothing more than a city where anything goes. Drinking and drug use on the street is okay, as is public nudity. Pick pockets and carjackers operate almost at will, and tourists in any part of the city are targets.

New Orleans' significance in American history is major, but that doesn't change what it is today.

What I find most disturbing is the rush to spend an astronomical amount of taxpayer's funds to rebuild a city that was doomed from the start. I don't care if New Orleans is rebuilt. I do care about the money that it will cost us all. The idea of spnding billions of government dollars on restoration is insane.

If the residents of New Orleans love it that much, there will be nothing to stop them from rebuilding it on their own. In fact, I fully support the idea of the government paying New Orleans residents to rebuild their city. But that ain't going to happen. New Orleans will be either abandoned or, more likely, rebuilt using outside labor at taxpayer cost.

The race issue is not a problem with me. I choose to live in a city full of poor black residents. I helped rebuild this city when it was flooded. Even those residents, black and white, who had done nothing but sponge off welfare for years helped. If New Orleans does the same thing, great. I'll pitch in a few bucks if the residents of the city come back to rebuild. However, I would rather see it bulldozed than watch FEMA spend billions hiring contractors and laborers to rebuild it while the residents of the city simple sit somewhere else and ait to come back.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:30:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By joker581:
What I find most disturbing is the rush to spend an astronomical amount of taxpayer's funds to rebuild a city that was doomed from the start. I don't care if New Orleans is rebuilt. I do care about the money that it will cost us all. The idea of spnding billions of government dollars on restoration is insane.

If the residents of New Orleans love it that much, there will be nothing to stop them from rebuilding it on their own. In fact, I fully support the idea of the government paying New Orleans residents to rebuild their city. But that ain't going to happen. New Orleans will be either abandoned or, more likely, rebuilt using outside labor at taxpayer cost.

It would be political suicide to say they aren't going to pay for the rebuilding.

Its a case of penny wise and pound foolish.They knew the levees were inadequate for years; they could have spent a few million dollars back then versus the billions now. They had that choice then. Guess we pay the billions now because we don't have a choice any longer.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:38:42 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:41:11 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:43:09 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:26:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DriftPunch:

Minneapolis

I been to Minneapolis... I have been to New Orleans.

New Orleans with all its faults is worth 10 Minneapolis.

You do need to get out more.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:43:13 AM EDT
I've been to N.O. several times-- both business and "pleasure" (my wife made me go to the French Quarter). The place reeks... I mean it stinks bad. It did back in the late 1980's and in the 1990's and even when I had to go there in the double oughts. In my mind (WAY before Hurricane Katrina) they could have burned the place down and I wouldn't have given a ratZ aZZZ.

N.O. was/is a vermin infested, boil on the azzzz of southern culture and society and if I have any say in the matter (which I don't) they can abandon the place or better yet, create a national wetlands area out of it.

N.O. isn't worth the effort much less the money to rebuild.

This is my opinion.

lawdog
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:45:07 AM EDT

Pick up a history book…

New Orleans no doubt has very significant historical and cultural value. With all its faults it is a singular place in this country there is nothing like it elsewhere in the US, and I do not mean that in a bad way.

i've never read anything about new orleans in any of my history classes. i know it is historicaly valuble, but public schools dont teach it, and it sure isnt in any of hte history books htat they use
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:00:42 AM EDT
New Orleans is the largest outdoor port-a-potty......and that was before the flood.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:23:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/16/2005 10:33:29 AM EDT by KN]
When I think of New Orleans the first thing that comes to mind is a bunch of skanky whores showing me there tits for a few plastic beads.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:32:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DriftPunch:

Minneapolis

I been to Minneapolis... I have been to New Orleans.

New Orleans with all its faults is worth 10 Minneapolis.

You do need to get out more.

You can find almost all that stuff anywhere in the country. Its not as unique as the residents of NO want everyone to believe.
The only thing from the list you couldn't find here would be strip joints, because they've outlawed any new ones that aren't grandfathered.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:49:24 AM EDT
New Orleans was a great tourist and history town.

To a certain degree, it was a cultural treasure.... just not any higher than the 800 block of Bourbon Street.

After that, it got too 'cultural' for my straightness.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:57:44 AM EDT
"Cultural treasure?" More like cultural sewer or cultural ghetto.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:19:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/16/2005 1:20:33 PM EDT by Win_88]

<­BR>

All I'm saying is bulldoze the area below sea level, remove the levy's and dikes and convert the the city into another Venice Italy.

WTF is so racist about that???

AHHHHH.... Much better...
Top Top