Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/1/2005 1:34:13 PM EDT
   Why cant the air force air drop some water and food to the people stuck in the city?.  I just saw footage of the convention center and people are dropping like flies.  I would think this would be easy to do.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:35:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Well then get to it then.

Geez.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:35:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
 I would think this would be easy to do.

Which is exactly how we can tell you're not in the Air Force...
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:36:49 PM EDT
[#3]
That would creat an even bigger fuckin mess as people fight over it
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:38:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Geez.

Your just full of helpful post today.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:38:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Sissy Americans, you never drank contaminated water when you were kids? You never built up a tolerance and now you fall as adults.

I guess people in 'Nawlins didn't pay attention to the Hurricane Survival Guide that says store water up in milkjugs BEFORE the hurricane hits.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:39:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Geez.

I'm a realist and understand logistics.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:49:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Geez.

+1.  I'd love to see a pallet of water comming (weighing in at several tons) down on top of all those people outside the super dome - I'm sure that would help the situation.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:51:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Are the amphib ships there yet?  Can they helo supplies in yet?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:52:49 PM EDT
[#9]
+1. I'd love to see a pallet of water comming (weighing in at several tons) down on top of all those people outside the super dome - I'm sure that would help the situation.

Why? The only why to drop water is to drop it on their heads?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:53:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Simply dropping water/mre's in would cause fights for the food/water.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:56:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Are the amphib ships there yet?  Can they helo supplies in yet?

There are a limited amount of helos; the question becomes what is the most beneficial use of them.

The supplies are getting to the SuperDome. However the flow isn't as smooth as anyone would like.

The helos that will be embarked on the ships are already down there, from what I understand; the ships are not. The only ship available right now is the BATAAN, as reported by open sources.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:59:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
+1. I'd love to see a pallet of water comming (weighing in at several tons) down on top of all those people outside the super dome - I'm sure that would help the situation.

You don't get it.  Pallets with parachutes are not 'smart bombs' you just drop them in the general area;  and even if they were I doubt you'd find enough open (dry) space around the dome to drop them.

Of course you could bring them to the airport - where they would have to be unloaded and brought in by truck.  But that doesn't help as they are already trucking in water as fast as possible.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:00:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I propose that President Bush fire off another hurricane so that the looters in NO can collect fresh rain water.  Hopefully a Cat 5 about 15 miles across.....just big enough to cover the city.

ETA for about a month.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:05:03 PM EDT
[#14]
      No, I am not in the fucking air force so I will need someone to explain the logistics to me.  I just find it hard to believe that it is that difficult.  We airdrop shit to third world countries all the time, why not our own.  You're telling me that there arent a few cargo planes at a nearby airbase that could drop a few hundred pallets of water down to those people?  If the reason they arent doing this is to avoid riots and fighting, OK.  But with all those old people and babies dropping like flies I would think they could overcome a few obstacles.

About having water stored, hindsight is 20/20, and when you are born stupid you probably dont plan ahead very far ahead.  They have been without water since Monday, thats quite a bit of water for a family to store, especially if you have six kids.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:05:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Pallets with parachutes

How about pallets with Helicopters?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:05:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I propose that President Bush fire off another hurricane so that the looters in NO can collect fresh rain water.  Hopefully a Cat 5 about 15 miles across.....just big enough to cover the city.

ETA for about a month.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:06:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Everyone in the Superdome is getting 2 mre's a day plus water.

Actually the best thing they can do is bus the people out. Not build up supplies in place.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:08:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Pallets with parachutes

How about pallets with Helicopters?

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:09:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Geez.

No shit.

If you drop water there, how would it be distributed? You really think the folks there are going to get their shit together and pass it out to all who needed it?

Who is this dumbass troll "John40mm?"

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:10:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't get it.  Pallets with parachutes are not 'smart bombs' you just drop them in the general area;  and even if they were I doubt you'd find enough open (dry) space around the dome to drop them.

Of course you could bring them to the airport - where they would have to be unloaded and brought in by truck.  But that doesn't help as they are already trucking in water as fast as possible.

+1--besides the guidance problem there's the additional problem that pallets are HEAVY, and I doubt the people near the Dome would be smart enough to get out of the way of a 1000lb pallet travelling at 40 mph.

Or, if you drop the individual bottles, think about the damage a 1lb bottle of water travelling at 120mph would do.  If it didn't split open on impact it would kill the person that broke its fall.

How about we fill the firefighting aircraft with water and simply rain the fresh water down on the people.  This way they get a drink and a bath at the same time.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:11:46 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1--besides the guidance problem with the additional problem that pallets are HEAVY, and I doubt the people near the Dome would be smart enough to get out of the way of a 1000lb pallet travelling at 40 mph.

Or, if you drop the individual bottles, think about the damage a 1lb bottle of water travelling at 120mpg would do.  If it didn't split open on impact it would kill the person that broke its fall.

How about we fill the firefighting aircraft with water and simply rain the fresh water down on the people.  This way they get a drink and a bath at the same time.  

Best idea yet.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:14:02 PM EDT
[#22]
How bout we drop pallets of lawyers in, ready to sue the hell out of the parachute manufacturers for setting them up with the "trick ripcords"
ETA: {LesNesman]"They're hitting the ground like sacks of cement"[/LesNesman]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:14:46 PM EDT
[#23]
those animals would tear each other apart in a rush to be the ones that grabbed the supplies
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:15:20 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
How bout we drop pallets of lawyers in, ready to sue the hell out of the parachute manufacturers for setting them up with the "trick ripcords"

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:15:43 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
      No, I am not in the fucking air force so I will need someone to explain the logistics to me.  I just find it hard to believe that it is that difficult.

Of course you do - obviously you're not thinking this through.

Know of any bases with pallets of water just hanging around ready to be dropped?  Not a standard inventory item that I'm aware of.

We airdrop shit to third world countries all the time, why not our own.

Yes with lots of PRIOR planning, the supplies in place, and they have large 'drop zones' where they can be sure they aren't going to land a pallet on someone's head or they drop lots of smaller packages.  I would not advise that with water as even a liter of water dropped for a couple hundred feed could do some dammage..

You're telling me that there arent a few cargo planes at a nearby airbase that could drop a few hundred pallets of water down to those people?  I

No.  The Air Force does not sit around keeping the planes in hangers with pallets of food and water waiting for SHTF so they can rescue someone.  Most of their planes right now are probably ferring supplies & troops to the middle east.

Jeez drop a few hundered pallets of water?  Do have any idea how much water that is?  You'd probably destroy the Superdome with a few stray pallets hitting it.

I would think they could overcome a few obstacles.

That is what the trucks are for.

About having water stored, hindsight is 20/20, and when you are born stupid you probably dont plan ahead very far ahead.  They have been without water since Monday, thats quite a bit of water for a family to store, especially if you have six kids.

Stupid is as Stupid does, if you're not going to leave at least have prepared for the Hurricane..  It's not that much water - figure 35 gallons of water, most water heaters have alot more than that.

In other words - leave the airdrops & supply distribution to the pros.  They know what they are doing.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:17:47 PM EDT
[#26]
*sigh*

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:19:35 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
   Why cant the air force air drop some water and food to the people stuck in the city?.  I just saw footage of the convention center and people are dropping like flies.  I would think this would be easy to do.

You people forget what the job of the military is. They are not around to be rescue units, or aid workers. Yes, they get put into those roles, but they are here to be ready to go out and break things and kill people.

They don't have rescue type supplies pre positioned, and pallatized. They don't turn on a dime.

Sorry, but if the people who were able would have evacuated when asked (told) they wouldn't be stuck there....
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:21:42 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1--besides the guidance problem with the additional problem that pallets are HEAVY, and I doubt the people near the Dome would be smart enough to get out of the way of a 1000lb pallet travelling at 40 mph.

Or, if you drop the individual bottles, think about the damage a 1lb bottle of water travelling at 120mpg would do.  If it didn't split open on impact it would kill the person that broke its fall.

Best idea yet.

Bambi bucket!

Drink up!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:29:32 PM EDT
[#29]
       Who the fuck ever said anything about dropping loose liter bottles of water?  That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.  And no shit the air force doesent have cargo planes loaded with food and water ready to go at any moment.  But, if the planes left from a state that was not under the duress that the southern states are right now I think they could round up some fucking water fairly easily.  Especially after four days!!,  Shit, you could drive 10 tractor trailer loads of Dasini water from New Hampshire in a day and a half.

I am not very concerned about the people stuck at the Super Dome, they are being helped as much as possible, but the people at the convention center and the ones stranded in the city are dying by the hundreds.  If you dropped a few large pallets near the convention center who cares if they crush some shit everything down there is already destroyed.

If the people cant get out of the way of a falling parachute tough shit for them, and more water for the rest.  Also, I find it hard to believe that a pallet falling to the ground under a parachute is falling at 40 mph.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:32:37 PM EDT
[#30]
those animals would tear each other apart in a rush to be the ones that grabbed the supplies

Why do you think this? they have been their for four days without killing each other. Unless you think that the people dieing and being carried out are really being murdered.

Actually the best thing they can do is bus the people out. Not build up supplies in place.

I agree, but doesn't it seem to be taking a long time?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:32:54 PM EDT
[#31]
They are not dieing by the hundereds from lack of water.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:34:48 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Why do you think this? they have been their for four days without killing each other. Unless you think that the people dieing and being carried out are really being murdered.

I agree, but doesn't it seem to be taking a long time?

No it's not taking a long time. It takes time to get busses, drivers and fuel.

Again you are talking about needing 1000 busses to get this done.

IT TAKES TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:37:46 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
       Who the fuck ever said anything about dropping loose liter bottles of water?  That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.  And no shit the air force doesent have cargo planes loaded with food and water ready to go at any moment.  But, if the planes left from a state that was not under the duress that the southern states are right now I think they could round up some fucking water fairly easily.  Especially after four days!!,

First of all, it's been slightly more than 48 hours since the levees broke.

Shit, you could drive 10 tractor trailer loads of Dasini water from New Hampshire in a day and a half.

Perhaps you missed the pictures of hundres of tractor trailors already lined up and staged in the area. 13.4 million liters of water were on hand as of yesterday, and more were coming. The problem is what do you do once you're in the area? The infrastructure is toast. Have you seen the pictures of the Hwy 90 bridge between Biloxi and Ocean Springs MS? It's fucking gone! Where there are roads there is debris and trees blocking the area. Airfileds need the debris cleared and power restored before you can set up operations. Even at that Keesler AFB just recently got the debris cleared. Gulfport/Biloxi is supposed to be up and running tomorrow, and Louis Armstrong will be up and operating either tomorrow or the next day. It is a phenomenal feat.

I am not very concerned about the people stuck at the Super Dome, they are being helped as much as possible, but the people at the convention center and the ones stranded in the city are dying by the hundreds.  If you dropped a few large pallets near the convention center who cares if they crush some shit everything down there is already destroyed.

The supplies are getting to the convention center. Something to remember Americans expect McDonalds and TV all the time if they don't get it they get pissed because as a nation we are spoiled. When MREs are dropped into a starving 3rd world nation they are greatful because MREs are more food than they get to eat most of the time.

If the people cant get out of the way of a falling parachute tough shit for them, and more water for the rest.

Oh yeah that'll fly with the lib media. Besides what happens when you take tons of supplies and accidentally get dropped into that filthy water?

Also, I find it hard to believe that a pallet falling to the ground under a parachute is falling at 40 mph.

If I were you I'd defer to the members of this board who jump out of aircraft. I'm sure they know. Just because you find it hard to believe doesn't mean it isn't the truth.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:41:55 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

ROTFLMFAOPIMP!

WKRP rocked
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:31:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Yes they are dying by the hundreds from lack of water.  What I meant about the tractor trailers was that they could drive the water to an air base not directly into the city.

No offense, I love our military, but just because you jump out of an airplane does not make you an expert on a crisis situation such as this.

Geez, having a conversation with some of you guys is like arguing with the tourettes guy.            (www.tourettesguy.com)   your fucking frothing at the mouth.

Also, what I said about the pallet falling on the people....learn how to recognize sarcasm, it's something most people pick up fairly quick on a site such as arfcom.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:38:34 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Yes they are dying by the hundreds from lack of water.  What I meant about the tractor trailers was that they could drive the water to an air base not directly into the city.

No offense, I love our military, but just because you jump out of an airplane does not make you an expert on a crisis situation such as this.

Geez, having a conversation with some of you guys is like arguing with the tourettes guy.            (www.tourettesguy.com)   your fucking frothing at the mouth.

Also, what I said about the pallet falling on the people....learn how to recognize sarcasm, it's something most people pick up fairly quick on a site such as arfcom.

FEMA has sent in 1700 truck loads of food, water and ice.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:42:47 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

And what makes you qualified to criticize the ongoing efforts?

Oh wait, you're keyboard commando certified.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:43:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Geez, having a conversation with some of you guys is like arguing with the tourettes guy. (www.tourettesguy.com) your fucking frothing at the mouth.

Your not kiddin, I had two threads locked trying to talk about this.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:47:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Everyone in the area was told to leave BEFORE they got hit. The intelligent ones did and may have lost there home but are more then likely at a relitives house drinking cold clean water and eating plenty of fresh food. The ones without brains and the criminals who think .gov is required to help them are the ones who remained. Why should the intelligent folk who left have to go back in and put there lives in danger to save the dumbasses who didnt listen?  The way i see it, there lucky there getting what there getting at all........
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:51:26 PM EDT
[#40]

Question: I'm not trying to rattle anyone, I really don't know and would like to.
Hasn't FEMA been setting up emergency plans and supplies in every state since 9/11? So, if Louisiana has done this why did it take four days to bring the basics?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:51:59 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Geez, having a conversation with some of you guys is like arguing with the tourettes guy. (www.tourettesguy.com) your fucking frothing at the mouth.

Your not kiddin, I had two threads locked trying to talk about this.

If the other thread was as stupid as the one I saw, no wonder.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:53:13 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Question: I'm not trying to rattle anyone, I really don't know and would like to.
Hasn't FEMA been setting up emergency plans and supplies in every state since 9/11? So, if Louisiana has done this why did it take four days to bring the basics?

It hasn't been four days. They had truckloads prepositioned and more have been arriving every day.

You guys won't trust the media when it comes to reporting about guns, but you'll let your perceptions be shaped by the straw-like perspective of the TV camera.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:54:04 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

They have been bringing in basics since day one.

Try again.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:54:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:57:13 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Cause everyone was told to leave and they didn't, that's why.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:59:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#47]
It hasn't been four days. They had truckloads prepositioned and more have been arriving every day.

You guys won't trust the media when it comes to reporting about guns, but you'll let your perceptions be shaped by the straw-like perspective of the TV camera.

So the footage that I'm seeing of thousands of people standing at the stadium carrying dead or past out people to the national guardsmen because of dehydration is what........straw like perspective?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:04:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:06:00 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

So the footage that I'm seeing of thousands of people standing at the stadium carrying dead or past out people to the national guardsmen because of dehydration is what........straw like perspective?

Man you really are a . You've been posting stupid shit all day today...and I think even yesterday too.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:06:12 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Hmm. The people at the stadium are getting water and 2 MREs a day.  Nice try. Oh and figure out the quote function.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top