Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2005 4:54:05 PM EDT
Sorry if this is a dupe.

Nintendo reveals its controller for the Revolution gaming console. It looks like crap. I think it is going to crash and burn. How the hell are you supposed to use it?

www.kotaku.com/gaming/nintendo-revolution/index.php

-FOX-
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:56:06 PM EDT
[#1]
WTF???

I mean, I wasn't going to buy one anyway, but WTF are they thinking???
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:22:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I was actually considering buying one, but after seeing a gaming controller that looked like one for my TV I said no way. I hope they come out with 3rd party ones with better designs.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:23:33 PM EDT
[#3]
That thing look like a steaming pile of shit. I was going to buy a Revolution too.

Guess it's a PS3 for me then. Nintendo needs to stop trying to innovate so goddamn much and go back to their roots of making good consoles and great games.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:24:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh goody, you can add an equally-faggy looking analog stick to it

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:29:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:31:44 PM EDT
[#6]
That "equally-faggy looking analog stick" was required to make it Airsoft-compatible, silly.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:36:34 PM EDT
[#7]
its going to be awsome
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
its going to be awsome

so awesome that you want to crap your pants?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:38:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
its going to be awsome

I'll admit the Revolution had me excited. With the option of playing any of Nintendo's past games, I was stoked. But how in the sweet chocolate christ am I going to play the original Mario Bros or Metroid with that abortion of a controller?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
its going to be awsome

The console, yes.

The controller, not no, but HELL NO!.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:53:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
its going to be awsome

I'll admit the Revolution had me excited. With the option of playing any of Nintendo's past games, I was stoked. But how in the sweet chocolate christ am I going to play the original Mario Bros or Metroid with that abortion of a controller?

Turn the controller sideways.
The layout is just like the NES controller.

We played around with the idea of a magicwond pointer thingy game controller in my Computer programing class a couple years ago, I think it will be great, very accurate and precisce, most of all intuative.

For exmaple for like a FPS, you would use the numcuck-dildo lookin stick to control the fwd-bawk left right and the  pointer to aim you gun just as you would with a real gun. or like fishing,bassball, tennis game the controller is the rod, or the bat or requett.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:56:17 PM EDT
[#12]
form IGN

September 16, 2005 - Nintendo's Revolution controller has set the videogame industry abuzz with excitement and in some cases confusion. One glance around popular community message boards proves that gamers are both blown away by the possibilities and simultaneously scratching their collective head about how the peripheral might interact with more traditional software. The device is so dramatically different from the accepted norm that we'd be surprised if readers weren't thrown for an initial double-take. But once the details about the new controller sink in, it's not difficult to see the gameplay possibilities lurking just beyond the horizon.

We've combed over all the controller details and put together a handy list of facts about the peripheral that, we believe, will help clear up any misconceptions about what it does and doesn't do. As readers will see below, the Revolution's input mechanism is thoroughly flexible and preemptively ready for any type of gameplay challenge.

Q: What exactly is so special about the Revolution controller?

A: The Revolution controller may look like a stylish television remote, but there's a lot more to the device than its glossy exterior suggests. The remote-like peripheral, which has been called the "free-hand style controller" and "pointer" by Nintendo, interacts with two motion sensors placed on the left and right sides of a user's television. The marriage transforms the pointer into a virtual wand of sorts, enabling users to move objects and characters in games simply by moving the peripheral. The sensors read the pointer's every move in real-time space. They can detect up, down, left and right motion, and also translate forward and backward depth. The controller's sensors also recognize twisting, rotating and tilting movements. In short, any motion made by arms and wrists can be translated to Revolution games.

The free-hand-style unit also comes standard with three gameplay-specific face buttons, three menu-specific buttons, a D-Pad and an underbelly trigger. In addition, the unit's bottom shell can be removed, revealing a slot for expansion peripherals. Nintendo has several add-ons planned, some of which we'll detail below. The pointer is completely wireless and features built-in force feedback. Gamers can rotate the free-hand-style unit on its side to play NES software on Revolution.

Q: Can you give us an example of how it might work in a game?

A: Sure. Imagine a fishing game in which the pointer essentially becomes the fisherman's pole. Gamers simply make a casting motion to send the line flying and pull back on the pointer to tug a fish upward once it has taken the bait. In a sequel to Luigi's Mansion, the pointer might be used as a flashlight. Gamers point to the area they want to illuminate and Luigi's flashlight spotlights it. Voila. In a tennis game, the pointer becomes the racquet. Players swing the device as they would a racquet to smash tennis balls back at opponents. The list goes on and on and the options only increase when the peripheral's expansion functionality is considered.

Q: What kinds of expansions are planned?

A: Wide assortments of peripherals are possible, but thus far Nintendo has only officially confirmed two of them. The first is an analog stick/trigger unit that Nintendo has dubbed the "nunchuck-style controller." The second is a conventional controller cradle/shell. Nintendo has also indicated that it might like to explore other expansions. It used Donkey Kong style bongos and a light gun as examples.

Q: What does the nunchuck analog/trigger unit do?

A: The small, ergonomic peripheral attaches to the bottom of the pointer by way of a short cable, and is easily grasped in one hand. The device features a single analog stick on its top side and two triggers, labeled Z trigger 1 and 2, underneath. The unit extends the functionality of the pointer and really shows its usefulness in certain genres, particularly first-person shooters. Imagine the possibilities. With the analog stick in one hand, users move Samus Aran around the environments in Metroid Prime 3, freeing up the pointer to act as the heroine's gun. The result is a level of control so responsive and accurate that its closest rival is a PC/mouse configuration. Incidentally, Retro Studios created a demo of this very setup that was at TGS 2005 previewed to a select group of editors, IGN included, and it was very impressive.

"Our current plan is for each [Revolution] hardware system to be sold with the free-hand-style controller and the nunchuck-style expansion controller," confirms Nintendo of America's senior director of public relations, Beth Llewelyn.

Q: What does the conventional controller cradle/shell do?

A: This add-on makes it possible to play Revolution games in a more traditional manner. The shell is designed to look and function like accepted "regular" controllers, such as the Wave Bird. After its bottom casing is removed, the Revolution's free-hand-style remote is inserted into a gap in the middle of the controller shell. Gamers can then use the shell as they would a traditional controller, with a notable difference: the pointer remote's sensory functionality remains active. As a result, gamers get the best of both worlds: more buttons and two analog sticks along with motion-sensing operations. In a Revolution version of Madden Football, gamers might be able to use the combo to control players with the shell's analog sticks and execute pinpoint passes with the pointer's improved accuracy.

Nintendo has not yet released official imagery of what the controller shell might look like. However, we've created a mock-up (above) based on what we know of its functionality. The real controller shell is likely to connect to the free-hand-style pointer in a very similar fashion. Please note that we realize our model is not entirely to scale, but this is the best we could do on short notice.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:56:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Next thing you know, they'll be making controllers in the shape of one of your molars.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:57:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Q: What do all of the buttons on the free-hand-style pointer do?

A: The main controller features a D-Pad, an on/off switch and several different face buttons, three of which are dedicated solely to gameplay. Directly below the unit's D-Pad is an oversized A button. Farther down are two more buttons. In officially released screenshots, these buttons were labeled "a" and "b" respectively. However, when Nintendo president Satoru Iwata held the controller up at his Tokyo Game Show 2005 keynote speech, the buttons were clearly labeled "X" and "Y." The buttons were also labeled "X" and "Y" in Nintendo's Revolution controller promo video, which suggests that the final product is much more likely to use the letters.

"The [Revolution controllers shown] are still prototypes so there may be slight changes in the final versions," says Nintendo's Llewelyn.

It should be noted that the oversize A button is used for primary action functionality. It might be used to make a character jump in a first-person shooter, for example. The X and Y buttons are more likely to be used when the controller is turned on its side in order to accommodate classics NES games.

Located in the middle of the controller are three menu-ready buttons: select, home, and start (from left to right). Nintendo has not yet explained what the home button is used for, but it is likely to bring up a Revolution's central operations page -- something akin to Xbox Live. From here, we suspect gamers will be able to manage their downloaded software or go online, among other things.

The only other thing of note on the face of the controller are the blue LED indicators, bottom, that show what controller port the unit is wirelessly using.

The underbelly of the controller features an ergonomic indent directly opposite the top's D-Pad. This area houses the B trigger, which is also considered a primary action button. This button, easily accessed by players, might be used to fire a weapon in a first-person shooter or to grasp an object in a god game.

Q: Does the Revolution's free-hand-style controller use batteries?

A: Yes, although the specifics in that regard are still being determined. We suspect that the unit will use rechargeable batteries and that a charging dock station will be made available either with the console or sold separately. Nintendo may have chosen to attach add-ons to the unit with cables instead of wirelessly in order to avoid further battery issues.

Q: Can users wield two free-hand-style controllers with Revolution games?

A: Yes. Nintendo's Revolution controller promo video shows players using two pointer controllers to execute various gameplay tasks, such as beating virtual drums.

Q: Can four players wield two free-hand-style controllers each?

A: No. Only four free-hand-style controllers can be used total, according to Nintendo. Therefore, if one person used two pointers in a multiplayer game, only two additional people could play, each with one pointer.

Q: Won't potential light gun add-ons fail to work correctly with Revolution owners who use high-definition televisions?

A: No. Revolution's sensory technology does not interface with TV scan lines, as is the standard with traditional light guns. Because of that, light gun games are entirely possible with Revolution regardless of television type.

Q: Has Nintendo revealed all the features of the Revolution controller?

A: No, we don't believe so. Certain secondary features still remain hidden. Nintendo itself may be defining these features even as it tests and reworks the controller.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:59:04 PM EDT
[#15]
It looks pretty damn cool to me.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:01:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:08:25 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
But how in the sweet chocolate christ am I going to play the original Mario Bros or Metroid with that abortion of a controller?

The Revolution has Gamecube controller ports on the side.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:32:32 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Oh goody, you can add an equally-faggy looking analog stick to it

a1112.g.akamai.net/7/1112/492/2002091473/www.wired.com/news/images/full/nunchuckstyle_f.jpg

Jesus, it looks like some sort of "Personal Massager".

Will Nintendo now ship products in a plain brown wrapper?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:37:23 PM EDT
[#19]
What a ridiculously stupid idea.  I really doubt it's going to be comfortable waving your hand around in front of you to control a first person shooter or sports game for hours on end.  Some of these people need to stop trying to revolutionize gaming and stick with improving what has already been proven.  At most, this sort of controller should have been an add-on device, like a steering wheel for racing games, for people who had a demand for it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:41:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Nintendo has not had a real hit on its hands since I picked up my super nintendo back in 6th grade.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:53:08 PM EDT
[#21]
I think you guys are looking at this all wrong.  Imagine the possabilities. (sp?)  A light rifle for first person shooters that actually aims like a real rifle.  Like the example said, more realistic fishing games.  I'm sure there a re many more, but I'm alittle tired.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:53:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Weird?? Have to see the graphics though
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:29:30 PM EDT
[#24]
It could turn out to be pretty cool, especially if they do the shell thing right...
...however, at first glance it's WTF
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:43:49 PM EDT
[#25]
i just dont like the ideal that every movement of my arm is going to mess with the game so if i want to play a game for hours i have to hold my arm the whole time
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:45:27 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Sorry if this is a dupe.

www.kotaku.com/gaming/Rev7-thumb.jpg

Nintendo reveals its controller for the Revolution gaming console. It looks like crap. I think it is going to crash and burn. How the hell are you supposed to use it?

www.kotaku.com/gaming/nintendo-revolution/index.php

-FOX-

Gee... it looks like on of my 5 other remotes. How orginal!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:57:11 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Some of these people need to stop trying to revolutionize gaming and stick with improving what has already been proven.  

I'll have to disagree, by this rational nothing needs to be improved in the gaming industry. With the improvments in graphics in next generation consoles, AI, and other technogical improvements being tossed into the next-gen I think its a good thing with Nintendo going this route.

Does it look weird? Yes. Does it look like it will be difficult to learn? Maybe. Is it innovative and may be a nice alternative? IMO I think it may just well be. Plus there is always the controller shell that will allow the use of a normal controller.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:03:01 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Nintendo needs to stop trying to innovate so goddamn much and go back to their roots of making good consoles and great games.

Nintendo is going in the right direction with this. Remember when the Playstation 1 had the ability to play audio CDs? The Nintendo 64 couldn't. The PS2 could play DVDs & the XBOX could do the same plus had a hard drive (I still can't believe the XBOX even lasted, its gaming lineup sucks with its only saving grace being Halo and Halo2). Nintendo stuck with just gaming with the Gamecube and they had the least amount of sales. They have to do something that sets them apart from the 360 & the PS3, and hopefully this with a good lineup of games will do it. I

<------ A blissful Nintendo Kool-Aid Drinker
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:08:43 AM EDT
[#29]
they just need to get the devolpers onboard with it.
Remember Nintendo is pretty revolutionary when it came to gaming first to have a joypad instead of a stick with the original NES, first with rumble and a analog stick on the n64,

all oif witch have become standard on most consoles.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:31:18 AM EDT
[#30]
I think it's a neat idea. A lot will depend on the implementation and how skillful the developers are in using it.

Every thing I've heard from the demos shown is that its easy to get the hang of though, and there are only a few game genres that seem difficult to do with this kind of thing, and the controller shell takes care of that.

It will certainly be different. Whether that's good or bad depends on implementation. I'm leaning towards good though.

I'm drooling all over this imagining FPS though. It is the perfect system for console FPS.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:30:32 AM EDT
[#31]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top