Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/18/2004 9:53:41 AM EST
Not as bad as USAF but...

Navy uniforms
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:58:48 AM EST
You know, they were talking about this during Desert Storm!
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:06:04 AM EST
I like it.....where can I re-up

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:09:32 AM EST
Wow, thats ugly!
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:11:02 AM EST
holy shit

what happened to dungarees?

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:11:12 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/18/2004 10:12:22 AM EST by Killbot]
STUPID! Come on, camo on a ship or boat? I think they have gone a little overboard (pun intended) on this! If you want camo on a ship, then make it grey - so you can blend in better.

Here it is in high res...

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:12:45 AM EST
When I was in I had a set of dungerees that looked like that........

Mine was from sploches of paint and primer though, and was more a testement to my lack of painting abilites than my style.

I was really glad when my chief figured I'd paid my dues and let me do my job. He was tough but cool.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:16:20 AM EST
I would far rather use the blue coveralls than that crap.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:18:12 AM EST
That is SO FUCKING GAY!!!!

We should just copy the Royal Navy IAWD (Improved Action Working Dress). Much more practical and nautical looking:

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:18:34 AM EST

Damn that's ugly!!! I think I'll stay on the green side.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:19:07 AM EST
Utterlly pointless… a camofllaged rig aboard ship… stupid

Andy
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:19:27 AM EST

Originally Posted By MagKnightX:
I would far rather use the blue coveralls than that crap.

+1
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:23:26 AM EST
Or the Royal Australian Navy's working uniforms:
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:24:09 AM EST

Andy
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:24:45 AM EST

Originally Posted By vito113:

Andy

Imagine how hard it would be to see if someone in that crap went overboard. Not that anything would be easy to see but...

I wish I had come up with this digital bullshit idea.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:26:36 AM EST
i liked it when everyone wore the normal woodland bdu's.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:27:07 AM EST

Originally Posted By SWO_daddy:
That is SO FUCKING GAY!!!!

We should just copy the Royal Navy IAWD (Improved Action Working Dress). Much more practical and nautical looking:

www.royal-navy.mod.uk/static/content/data/[(1320)-09-07-2004]officer4iawd.jpg

What is really crazy is the Royal Navy and most other Navy's copied the US Navy Working Rigs because they were so practical and well designed… now the USN want's to dress like some sort of 'Nautical Rambo'

Andy
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:30:05 AM EST

I thought Marines were the only people silly enuff as to wear cammies on a ship..............
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:32:26 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/18/2004 10:33:04 AM EST by vito113]

Originally Posted By ArmedAggie:

Andy

Imagine how hard it would be to see if someone in that crap went overboard. Not that anything would be easy to see but...

I wish I had come up with this digital bullshit idea.

You beat me too it!

Having been a 'man overboard' I was very thankfull I was wearing two eyelet high 'steaming boots' that can be kicked off… these high lacers would be a death trap!

Andy
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:34:22 AM EST
Looks like hammered poo.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:36:33 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/18/2004 10:38:24 AM EST by gaspain]
yea this is dogshit, but some fuckin Admiral will get promoted over this. Freakin hell, everyone knows that those colors are ineffective as a cammoflage anyways. This is just some shit so the Navy can be as "cool" as the Marines with their digital camo
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:38:50 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/18/2004 10:41:50 AM EST by thompsondd]
Am I really going to be the first one to say this????????:

NAVPAT

I wasn't in the Navy but, F%^$#@ Hell! Might work well for urban ops, but on a ship in the middle of the friggin' ocean?????
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:40:21 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/18/2004 10:40:49 AM EST by thompsondd]
I guess I am

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:40:48 AM EST

Originally Posted By gaspain:
yea this is dogshit, but some fuckin Admiral will get promoted over this. Freakin hell, everyone knows that those colors are ineffective as a cammoflage anyways. This is just some shit so the Navy can be as "cool" as the Marines with their digital camo

Well, not exactly copied, as the Marines are PART OF the Navy, after all...
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:41:24 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:42:02 AM EST
Or copy what the Canadians use:

ANYTHING BUT THAT GAY-AS-HELL DIGITAL BDU SHIT!
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:43:13 AM EST
i agree, this is all crap, and with no military experience, i think i can honestly and whole-heartedly recommend that they wear dickies shirts and a pair of shorts with a pair of nike shocks on their feet.

oh yeah, wait, i dont care.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:43:40 AM EST

Originally Posted By Lumpy196:
What exactly is that supposed to blend them in with - the water?

Thats not very confidence inspiring.

/TopGun voice on/ = "I'm sorry Ma'am but the DOD regrets to inform you that your son/daughter fell overboard and was unable to be recovered. We tried but we simply couldn't find them. " /TopGun voice off/
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:47:38 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:54:50 AM EST
They were fazed out in the late 90's
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:56:36 AM EST

Originally Posted By Lumpy196:
Think of the cost savings to the tax payers if they just bought some blue or grey BDUs....

Too easy. And the kicker is that any sailors that actually need camo BDUs (corpsmen, SeaBees, etc) will probably end up in MARPAT anyways.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:00:55 AM EST
I preferred wearing coveralls when I could. The denim was great for working on non-skid decks since it didn't wear out as quickly.

I almost always used drank my uniform allotment.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:29:18 PM EST
I liked wearing denim. Only problem was I ripped the denim pants or the thin cotton uniforms or got grease and paint on them.

ET's could wear dungarees till they wore through.

Kinda hard to tape up dungarees with duct tape and still look presentable. I bet you could thrash these things in a workign environment and still be able to walk back to the barracks without getting harassed by some shore duty skimmer non-qual base security puke.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:18:22 PM EST
Why fix something that wasn't broke. The dungarees with dixie cup were a great uniform. Cotton - probably the best fabric for shipboard environment, easy to wash, dry, store and as far ass fire resistance, as good as you could ge then. Now maybe a fire=proof material is available. I remember some of the polyester abominations we went through in the 70'sa and 80's until they figured out that a uniform that melts and sticks to you is great for deep tissue burns. The dixie cup brim up and you don't walk into things brim down a decent sun hat. Baaseball type hats, why they are just great for banging your head into low overheads everywhere. Being 6'3" didn't help either but the bill on a ball cap was just great for obscuring vision where you needed it. Nice for bridge watches but that was about it.

Maybe double patch the elbows and knees?

Walking away muttering, good old days, men were men, ships were steel, kids these days couldn't handle Subic, mutter mutter, real wool sweaters,
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:27:46 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/18/2004 1:28:10 PM EST by ChuckJaxFL]

Why fix something that wasn't broke. The dungarees with dixie cup were a great uniform.

I hated the dungarees & dogbowl. We never wore a cover once we shifted colors anyway on the flattops. The plain ass not special in any way coveralls were my favorite uniform underway. They were cheap to replace, only 1 piece of "laundry" to deal with, they tucked into flight deck boots. I never understood the bellbottom thing anyways. Yeah, yeah, I know, I took the bellbottoms off and floated with them just like every body else.... and I tied knots right in the bellbottoms just like everyone else, so I don't buy the floatation thing. I know I saw a lot more guys picking themselves up at the bottom of a ladder or while working around an AFFF station because of those bellbottoms than I saw "floating" with them.

Oh... the the digital camo crap. Gay. Just give them some damn coveralls & some good steeltoed boots, that's what we wanted anyways.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:33:35 PM EST
The squids are doing this in order to decrease the incidence of frigging in the rigging. They will have a hard time locating each others poopers.

The Marines are part of the Navy, the Men's department.

Semper Fi

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:36:29 PM EST

Originally Posted By RiffRandall:

I thought Marines were the only people silly enuff as to wear cammies on a ship..............

For my 6 months in the sandbox, I wore 3 color desert. Of couse, it's handy when you're within spitting distance of Iraq.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:36:55 PM EST
Can you imagine the SEALS wearing that?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:00:20 PM EST
This is part of the Navy's push to establish a "warrior" mentality amoung its sailors. One of the problems noted by the Navy in various surveys is dissatisfaction with the uniform. Many sailors want the uniform to be more military-like, ie BDUs.

This is a good first step. However, I agree with a previous poster, a single color BDU uniform would be more appropriate. The BDU uniform offers some advantages over coveralls, like the ability to go "half-masted." That's not a small thing when working in hot climates. Also the use of gray vice blue would help with keeping cool in warmer climates. There was a significant difference to me between wearing blue coveralls and the 3 color deserts when in the Arabian Gulf.

I would like to see a solid gray BDU set with and 8 point cover (ship covers will be used most of the time anyway) with reflective stripes on the back, arms and legs, much like the Aussies have on their gray coveralls. Definitely keep the blouse untucked, and use the Army/Air Force sleeve roll vice the USMC roll, simply because it's faster to pull down to protect exposed skin in case of fire.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:06:53 PM EST
this is beyond gay, a lot of sailors go through an entire career and never wear cammies.

they just got rid of dungarees in 2000, replaced with what amounts to blue dickies, before that they introduced the black "winter working blues" which makes them look like Hitlers KreigsMarine. what a crock.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:27:24 PM EST
UNbeFUCKinglievable!

How about sticking to a nice, simple Navy-Blue coverall which is easy to get in and out of, provides protection against fire, is more comfortable than dungarees, and makes the differences between Officers and Enlisted less obvious?

JESUS!

Sorry, but it's the only image I could find.

Go watch The Hunt For Red October and see how sharp the crew of DALLAS looks. The only difference would be to wear boots.

This digi-cam thing is PATHETIC!
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:29:03 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/18/2004 2:36:45 PM EST by Zaphod]

Originally Posted By dport:
This is part of the Navy's push to establish a "warrior" mentality amoung its sailors.

One of the primary reasons I wish I had gone USMC upon graduation.....

Oh, well. Next life.....

One step they could take is to start teaching a Midshipman how to be a warrior instead of a politically-correct and socially-polished "officer and a janitor"*....

* The running joke back in my day of what a movie based upon the life of a Mid would be called.....
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:31:06 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/18/2004 2:31:44 PM EST by JHP]
I like the subdued Urban camo - blue/gray/black woodland pattern.

I understand your hatred of the uniforms and I don't like the digital pattern....but I think the old uniforms need to be upgraded. They remind me of a gas station attendant uniform.

Do you guys think the coast guard will issue an orange, red and white digtal version....that would be shit hot (note I am joking)
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:00:29 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/18/2004 3:47:02 PM EST by RandomUser]
Erm...what gives with the gay eagle/square-rigger emblem? What's wrong with the old navy emblem? The new one looks like a logo for a cruise line. A GAY cruise line.

TAKE NOTE! I AM NOT REFERING TO THE SUB WARFARE BADGE! THANK YOU> THAT IS ALL.

You have to wonder how much money they spend / time they waste on crap like this. I wasn't in the Navy, but if I was somewhere I might say....fall of the ship, I sure as hell wouldn't want to be wearing either of those boots. Jesus.

Blue digital camo.....worst idea ever. Great for staying invisible when you go over-board, stick out like a sore thumb on shore, so people can get real good target acquisition on you.

I swear....all the service branches need to fire most of the techno-crats and hire more War-Fighters and Fixers-of-Broken Stuff and Movers of Important Things Such as Bullets and Food.

Friviolous crap like this really frosts me, when there are working soldiers and sailors out there trying to do their jobs without the right gear and resources. Why do something about that when we could whip up some snazzy uniforms instead.

Thank god I was in the Army.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:13:27 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/18/2004 3:26:55 PM EST by Zaphod]

Originally Posted By RandomUser:
Erm...what gives with the gay eagle/square-rigger emblem? What's wrong with the old navy emblem? The new one looks like a logo for a cruise line. A GAY cruise line.

Actually, it's a representation of the actual Navy emblem:

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:20:22 PM EST

before that they introduced the black "winter working blues" which makes them look like Hitlers KreigsMarine. what a crock.

WAAAY before that. Winter Working Blues have been around since the Navy switched back from salt and peppers in the late 70s/early 80s.

... sticking to a nice, simple Navy-Blue coverall which is easy to get in and out of, provides protection against fire, is more comfortable than dungarees, and makes the differences between Officers and Enlisted less obvious?

The problem with the current coveralls is they are not fire-resistant. In fact, don't get caught in the main spaces with those coveralls on during an engineering inspection. Even the fire-resistant coveralls lost their protectiveness IF machine washed. Replacements that fixed that were offered starting next year. If you can get them, and they are still organizational clothing.

One step they could take is to start teaching a Midshipman how to be a warrior instead of a politically-correct and socially-polished "officer and a janitor"*...

True. However, at least the Navy is trying to remind their people they are in the military, unlike a certain blue suit branch.

what gives with the gay eagle/square-rigger emblem? What's wrong with the old navy emblem? The new one looks like a logo for a cruise line

If you're referring to the model on the right, he was wearing a Captain's eagle, meaning he's an O-6. If you're referring to the other eagle it's been around for quite some time. Take a look at the female enlisted combination covers sometime.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:24:09 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/18/2004 3:28:10 PM EST by RandomUser]

Originally Posted By Zaphod:

That's the Enlisted Submarine Warfare insignia. It's official look is as follows:

members.aol.com/brittvanm/ssn596/doltr3.gif

I am proud to have earned it.

I'll pass on your comment because, as an Army guy, not much can be expected from you. hr

NO! Not the one I am talking about. I am talking about the emblem that is on the left breast pocket of the BDU Shirt the white squid is wearing.

It's an eagle with spread wings super-imposed over what looks like a square-rigger or ship of the line. If you look at KillBot's post that has the super blow-up, you can see it. On the white sailor, on his left side, first insigia is the Sub Warfare, then below it, US NAVY, then below that, on the pocket itself is what is identified as "Navy Logo". Logo? Since when does the Navy have a logo? GAP is a Logo.

I think the Enlisted Sub Warfare insignia is outstanding and anyone that earned it should wear it with pride!
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:26:13 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/18/2004 3:28:05 PM EST by Zaphod]

That's the Enlisted Submarine Warfare insignia. It's official look is as follows:

I'll pass on your comment because, as an Army guy, not much can be expected from you.

NO! Not the one I am talking about. I am talking about the emblem that is on the left breast pocket of the BDU Shirt the white squid is wearing.

It's an eagle with spread wings super-imposed over what looks like a square-rigger or ship of the line.

I think the Enlisted Sub Warfare insignia is outstanding and anyone that earned it should wear it with pride!

Sorry! My bad! I realized too late you were looking at the one on the pocket. See above.

They could have done a better job of it, though!
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:31:52 PM EST

Sorry! My bad! I realized too late you were looking at the one on the pocket. See above. hey

Ok, I read your re-edit of my re-edit...lol.

Had the Navy provide CAS on many occasions. I'd never slam the service.

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:33:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/18/2004 3:42:52 PM EST by vito113]

I'll pass on your comment because, as an Army guy, not much can be expected from you.

+1… it's the badge of a rather elite 'boat' club……HMS Onyx (S21)

On the subject of uniforms… Royal Navy working rigs

Standard working rig

Cotton 'romper suits' for the mechanical guys and doing dirty work

Cotton 'romper suits' and anti flash gear for everyone when at action stations

Andy
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:33:07 PM EST

SEE ABOVE!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top