Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2006 8:04:07 AM EDT
http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=domesticNews&storyID=2006-01-12T230746Z_01_KWA283199_RTRUKOC_0_US-LIFE-NEWJERSEY.xml&archived=False

PHILADELPHIA (Reuters) - New Jersey announced a new tourism slogan on Thursday in an effort to shrug off the state's grim reputation for traffic jams, mobsters and toxic waste dumps.

"New Jersey: Come See for Yourself," was the winning entry in a statewide contest that attracted some 7,800 entries. The public was asked for suggestions after Acting Gov. Richard Codey rejected "New Jersey: We'll Win You Over" -- a slogan devised by an image consultant at the cost of $260,000 -- as too negative.

State officials earlier rejected sardonic entries including: "Come Out to New Jersey: It's Not as Bad as it Smells" and "New Jersey: Hey, at Least it's not West Virginia."

Residents of America's most densely populated state were asked to vote on five finalists, and the winning slogan, submitted by Jeffrey Antman of Passaic, got the largest number of votes, 3,373 out of a total of 11,227.

"When it comes to image, New Jersey really cares," Codey said in a statement. "I am proud to be governor of a state that has pride -- and shows it."

The winning entry beat out other finalists including: "New Jersey: Expect the Unexpected" and "New Jersey: The Best-Kept Secret".

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:21:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:21:25 AM EDT
[#2]
"New Jersy, Just Drive Around it"

"New Jersey, The Kill Me State"
(They have a statue of limitations on murder)
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:35:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:55:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

tinypic.com/k4ch2g.jpg

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:56:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

tinypic.com/k4ch2g.jpg

LOL.

Finally, something for the people who don't know the difference!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:59:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I always harbored hope for our fair state, but we really are stuck in a downward spiral.

Corzine is just what we need.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top