Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2011 3:53:17 PM EDT
I was thinking the other day. (drum roll)

I like my titanium cookset I got for camping.  Lightweight, quick heating, and anti-microbial. That means it won't support germs and actually kills them. Sooo....as I make knifes & tools for a living and have made titanium small knives before.....I thought...

"What about making a beta titanium  sword?"

Other than the cost of the material, why not? Lightweight, stronger than steel, and anti microbial in case you do CQB against zeds?

A friend had some Beta Ti and then passed away couple years ago. He intended to use it for something but never did. A LOT of it. 25 pounds worth of 5/16" thick. They were in curved strips about 5 feet long and 1.5 to 2 inches wide. His wife asked me if I was interested in anything in his shop and I said I would take a look. I bought some sanders and other small machining tools and she asked me about the materials he had left. She was going to give it to me but I refused and told her I needed to pay something for it. She made a deal with me and off I went with this material, probably bought, sometime after The Soviet Union fell.  This stuff is hard to get right now and very expensive. Here are the ongoing results:

(Rough out finishing)

(400 grit rough finish, interference fitting of the guard, and heat treat- with sheath)

More to follow.........

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Link Posted: 3/1/2011 5:06:13 PM EDT
[#1]
That is awesome!!!!  I must have one, how much?
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 5:12:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Keep it up.   Too bad you cant make (ar) lowers with it
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 6:13:19 PM EDT
[#3]
yeah....like......probably 1000 bucks each...did I tell you it was expensive material AND expensive to make?  LOL...sand blast pictures to follow

... I have gray stingray and gray cord wrap to finish it off.....there will be 3 of them cause I really want one ...and....I can make it.....
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 6:20:01 PM EDT
[#4]
That is pretty damn awesome!
If you have any more pics of the process, I'd love to see them
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 3:25:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Sweet!
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 11:47:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm not much of a sword man but I must say BRAVO! She sure is a beauty! Well done
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 12:19:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 4:03:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Isn't titanium kinda brittle? I'm not sure if it's the best metal choice for a sword.
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 7:18:12 PM EDT
[#9]
This is interesting.If you are able, some field tests on edge retention and cutting ability would be very appreciated.
So far, it looks pretty damn awesome.
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 8:52:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Rockwell Hardness of Beta Ti hardened is 47R...so not as well as steel. Requires Argon atmosphere during heat treat to prevent oxidizers from contaminating the metal. Temperatures required are extreme and the material can remain stable to melting temperature of 3034 degrees F

Wear and strength- far surpasses steel. Russian subs use it for the sonar dome of Nuke subs due to stresses and contraction/expansion. Same reason the SR-71 Blackbird's had it for skin material. It can handle the heat of air friction at 4 times the speed of sound where the skin sometimes glowed from the heat.

Brittleness? Not hard enough.

Light weight? yes. About half the weight as same dimensions as steel.

I plan on giving you a play by play account as well as testing.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 5:00:29 AM EDT
[#11]
From what I've read, the edge retention of Titanium is pretty poor.

It also changes the cutting characteristics of a sword. Two identical swords, one of steel and one of Titanium, will react differently. A sword's mass helps propel it through the target whereas the Titanium one might lack sufficient blade presence. Would be even more an issue when parrying, though I doubt that'll be something to consider come Z-day. Could possibly be countered by making the Titanium sword thicker and wider to increase the forward mass, though adding size for mass would kinda negate the advantage of being light for travel.

Looks wicked, though!
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 5:01:51 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm no expert but a quick google-fu proved earlier statements on this thread correct.

it is to soft to hold an edge. words like and i quote "I can't imagine anyone outside of a fantasy gamer or a yuppie with more cash than sense wanting a knife made of titanium"

bencmade tried their luck with a range of blades made from it but quit shortly after because the edge didn't last. That was also a high carbon titanium mixture. I think the fact they even considered the design was because they believe that the carbon will do the trick for them.

It's been my experience in other thing though that if it hasn't been done before there is a good reason for it. Normally it cost somebody a lot of time and/or effort just not to get it right.

But if you want you can always use the sword as a nice fantasy gamer weapon.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 9:36:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Titanium will not sharpen or hold an edge worth a crap....probably not the flex you would want either.....however it will be a great forced entry tool.  CTD has (or used to) Russian titanium knives and haligan bars....tough, light and non-conductive.  The knives would not cut for crap but you could pry a door out of it's frame.  I had and gave it a firefighter friend (always thought I would get another).

Nice project though...
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 9:57:36 AM EDT
[#14]
I do this stuff for a living and thought it would be fun to try since I already had the material. I am also trying carbide welded edges for the very reason that I CAN get a harder edge. Experimentation for me is only time when you have all the factors available. Mission knives has done a great business btw with beta titanium blades. This blade being made from 5/16 thick material has enough mass for cutting and can cut. Using a japanese blade is more than just chopping stuff up, as there is a skill involved and the motion used to cut is more of a slicing motion. This is the efficiency of a blade like this and why it works. This cuts better than expected. I am doing hanging meat carcass tests on with it when the handle is finished.

More to come.........
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 6:22:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I have been working with titanium for years (check out http://www.pridecyclesusa.com) and it does not hold an edge very well. It is a very odd material. To be so hard it is "gummy" when machining. Either way making a sword is still fun. Try finding some old saw blades. Saw mills usually have big broken pieces. They make great sword material. If you want me Ti just hit me up and I will see what is available through my suppliers.
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 12:10:01 AM EDT
[#16]
There was a company offering knives with laminated blades at one time.  High carbon steel sandwiched between tow pieces of Ti.  Maybe you could try that?
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 1:13:51 PM EDT
[#17]
(Update)

bead blast finish and ray skin and epoxy cord handle.

(close up)

Getting ready to do the engraving and deliver it. Now just imagine what could be done with regular steel....
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 4:59:28 PM EDT
[#18]
slick as hell!
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 7:01:50 PM EDT
[#19]
The old SgtMaj that was the customer gave me a man hug in front of his wife......touching moment.......
Link Posted: 3/6/2011 3:30:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Man hug? Hell, for that kinda tool, I'd cry of sheer joy.
Link Posted: 3/6/2011 5:17:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

For that thing, I'd be willing to give a handie
Link Posted: 3/6/2011 9:58:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Lenght and weight?
Link Posted: 3/6/2011 10:42:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

For that thing, I'd be willing to give a handie

Yup
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 7:15:02 PM EDT
[#24]
24 inches overall...weight is about 20 ounces with sheath. Heck of a blade. Heavier than I expected for Ti but far less than steel at same dimensions. Might be that it is 5/16" thick. Blade is 18". Split some wood with it and cut some bamboo before finishing it and worked just fine.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 8:06:14 PM EDT
[#25]
That is fucking cool!!!
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 7:21:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 12:36:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Fuck everyone else that hates. That is an awesome damn blade my friend. The attention to detail is wicked!
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 5:09:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Interference fitting a ti guard is no fun....yes...the guard is also Ti....
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 9:21:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
That is fucking cool!!!

Nice tie in to Zed forum with the antimicrobial
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 4:05:36 PM EDT
[#30]
lol...yeah...I know....spent all night thinking that up.....
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 4:26:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Do want
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:53:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Carcass tests went well....it cut like it was supposed to and didn't hang up. Us big guys didn't have too much problem slicing through piggie but it was more work than if we used a smooth steel one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top