Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/10/2006 2:21:36 PM EDT
www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11252094/from/ET/

Egypt opens new tomb found in Valley of Kings

First such discovery since Tutankhamun’s in 1922 stirs excitement

CAIRO, Egypt - Through a partially opened underground door, Egyptian authorities gave a peek Friday into the first tomb uncovered in the Valley of the Kings since King Tut’s in 1922. U.S. archaeologists said they discovered the tomb by accident while working on a nearby site.

Still unknown is whose mummies are in the five wooden sarcophagi with painted funeral masks, surrounded by alabaster jars inside the undecorated single-chamber tomb.

The tomb, believed to be some 3,000 years old and dating to the 18th Dynasty, does not appear to be that of a pharaoh. But it could be for members of a royal court, said Edwin Brock, co-director of the University of Memphis in Tennessee that discovered the site.

More at link.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:24:13 PM EDT
I heard this on the radio yesterday.

I'm glad I have a subscription to National Geographic. There's bound to be many, many good articles in store.

Now the next question is, is Natl. Geo. still the leader in such news or not?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:26:06 PM EDT
I too heard about it on the radio. The implications are startling: no imperialist 'grabs' of the mummies. It may really change some ocnepts of Eqypt's history and dynasties.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:43:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Warrior-Poet:
I too heard about it on the radio. The implications are startling: no imperialist 'grabs' of the mummies. It may really change some ocnepts of Eqypt's history and dynasties.

Actually they are currently believed to be the mummies of sons or wives of a king. I don't think it is gonna change dynastic history. But the previous belief that the Valley of the Kings has yeilded everything in now fairly well dispelled.
Top Top