Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2002 4:46:54 PM EDT
UPDATE:::::::::::::::::::::
Oh shit guys, there is major egg on my face. I was really looking it over and cleaning it up when I realized that the "crack" is really just a build up of gumpowder smoke on the plastic that is hanging out when the mold is broken. After a real good cleaning, no crack at all. I feel like the dumbest basterd on the planet. Just a little "new gun" jitters I guess.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I have only ran about 80 rounds through it since I got it last weekend.  Today when I was putting it up I noticed the forward part of the receiver was a lighter color and a crack had started moving down toward the serial number plate.  Here are some picks.

[img]http://www.crappybobandnicbig.com/images/glock1.jpg[/img]

And the crack:
[img]http://www.crappybobandnicbig.com/images/glockcrack.jpg[/img]

This has really surprised me!  I have used 50 PMC .40S&W and 30 Remington UMC .40 S&W.  Both full metal jacket and both 180 grain.

Tomorrow I will call Glock to start the warranty process does anyone have any advice?
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 5:02:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 5:04:05 PM EDT
[#2]
The front of the slide and frame getting slightly gray after use is normal (easy to clean off) as it's just the powder no completely burning in the short barrel.

Now the crack in the seam of the frame.... that should NOT have happened, regardless.  I've never seen that type of damage before.  Make sure you call Glock and insist that they provide you with a brand new frame at the very least, if not a whole new Glock 23!  I am a huge Glock fan, but there's no way that should have happened.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 5:10:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry to see that happen bro... glad you were not hurt!

Tyler
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 5:16:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 5:26:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah buy a SIG so that when it malfunctions it will be a catastrophic and disabling failure instead of a cosmetic one. Call up Glock and the store you got it from. Ask the store what distributor they purchased it from. If it was Davidsons they get you a brand new one with no hassle. But please stick with the Glock, Your life depends on it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 5:29:59 PM EDT
[#6]
also post this on glock Talk
View Quote

[url]www.glocktalk.com[/url]  Those people are even more fanatical than the Kel-Tec discussion group.  I posted pics of my broken Kel-Tec, and I was blamed for breaking it myself or for working for Kahr and having the Kahr factory break the gun.  Yeah, go ahead and post to Glock Talk.  They'll crucify you for saying something that isn't glowing about "their" gun.z
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 5:42:32 PM EDT
[#7]
No way zoom, I'm an active member over at GlockTalk too and I think his G23 shows a possible QC problem at Glock.  I'm all for Crappybob calling Glock and ripping them a new one, demanding a new pistol.

If Crappybob had a Sig, it may not have cracked the frame, but it certainly would have rusted out by the 100th round!  And I'm saying that as a Sig P229 .40 owner (before you all jump on me as anti-Sig). [;)]
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 5:47:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Seems very strange to me.  I have half a dozen glocks, some new, some with thousands of rounds through them.  No cracked plastic.

I am curious about the nature of the crack, and your history with the gun.  Did you inspect it closely before shooting it the first time (well enough that you would have seen the crack)?  I am wondering if it really cracked under fire or if it was defective upon leaving the factory.  It is also possible that some dufus smacked it before you bought it.  But if you inspected closely before firing and the crack wasn't there, then it cracked under fire.

Cracking under fire doesn't make sense though.  There are no stresses in that unsupported end of the frame.  It is literally a dust cover.  With the rails, it is now also made to support accessories.  Did you have anything attached to the rails?

If the polymer in the end of the frame cracked just from the muzzle blast, the polymer in the rest of the gun should have shattered from the stresses involved with firing.

Does the crack go all the way through the frame?  It is hard to tell from the photo.  A picture of the inside of the frame at the muzzle end would be helpful.

As noted elsewhere, the gray color is no big deal.

If the crack goes all the way through, I would definitely send it back.

I am very interested in what glock does for you on this defect.  Post and let us know.

Link Posted: 3/10/2002 5:55:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 5:58:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh shit guys, there is major egg on my face.  I was really looking it over and cleaning it up when I realized that the "crack" is really just a build up of gumpowder smoke on the plastic that is hanging out when the mold is broken.  After a real good cleaning, no crack at all.  I feel like the dumbest basterd on the planet.  Just a little "new gun" jitters I guess.  Thanks for all the helpful words.  Glock is #1 again baby.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 5:58:34 PM EDT
[#11]
The discolouration is just from the burnt powder. wipe it down and it will disappear.

The "crack" just looks to me like some flash left over from the molding process. It doesn't look like a crack to me. Take another look, if its a real crack, contact Glock.

That polymer is very tough stuff, I haven't heard of any cases of it cracking. However, there have been several cases of folks mistaking marks left over from the molding  process as failures in the material.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 6:01:10 PM EDT
[#12]
CrappyBob,

Yours is the first 23 I have seen do this but I have seen it with multiple G30 45 cal pistols.  This issue popped up about a year ago on Glocktalk.com

You may want to look over there in the "Big Dawgs" forum.  It has been discussed in detail.  In every case, Glock made things right on their dime.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 7:34:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 8:12:33 PM EDT
[#14]
After a real good cleaning, no crack at all.
View Quote

Thanks for letting us know.  I know that was a difficult thing to do, but it shows character to admit your mistake like that.

BMANSAR15, I respectfully disagree about Glock Talk.  I've seen those guys post 40+ times to a mailing list that doesn't deal with Glocks just because someone there said something remotely negative about a Glock they had trouble with.  The phrase "Church of Glock" is accurate, because there are some guys there where Glock is a religion to them.z
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 6:33:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
just be glad it didin't blow up on you like my 30 did.

"glock perfection" my ass.

mike
View Quote

Other than a little extra plastic, his is perfect.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 7:28:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Crappybob:
...really looking it over and cleaning it up when I realized that the "crack" is really just a build up of gumpowder smoke on the plastic that is hanging out when the mold is broken. After a real good cleaning, no crack at all.  
View Quote

I was trying to think of a way to say it without sounding insulting, but that's what I figured.

Thanks for letting us know though. I LIKE, & trust 23s a lot, I've bet my life on 'em a lot times.

FWIW, "Simple Green" works fantastic on Glocks (AND ARs!). Someone is going to post that the USMC stopped using it on M4s because it made the stock soft,,, or some such, but don't believe it.
Simple Green WORKS GREAT, & even if you left your Tupperware soaking in SG for a decade, it wouldn't be harmed!

It's [b]good stuff[/b], pick some up, you won't be sorry -- honest.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top