Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2005 7:42:16 AM EDT
I am looking at upgrading my computer, but am not really into computers so I submit to you gentlemen for advice.

I think I want to go with an AMD 64 3000+, but am confused as to what processor to get. There are these different cores, i.e. Venice, Newcastle, and Winchester (I like the Winchester but for the wrong reasons I am sure)

I also like ASUS MoBo like maybe the K8V-X, any thoughts?

So let me know what I should buy and why. I like to use Newegg.com

I am not a hardcore gamer, but I do like to play Call of Duty; I only want to upgrade RAM, MoBO, and CPU.

Thanks,
Eric

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:48:40 AM EDT
I'm not up to snuff yet on the different variations of AMD 64 Processors, but if you only want to upgrade Ram Mobo and CPU, then you need to make sure the motherboard has AGP instead of PCI-E and IDE instead of SATA, or that would be more components you need to upgrade. You might want to check your powersupply to make sure it's up to snuff, also..

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:48:57 AM EDT
I don't know.

not knowing about computers + trying to upgrade yourself = a messed up computer.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:56:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/24/2005 7:57:21 AM EDT by warlord]
I too don't know too much of the newer CPUs, but my advice is put the emphasises on the display board and get more and faster memory. In my opinion most of the CPUs are powerful to handle anything most anything that is available out there. But always try to get just enough and little more processing power and buy excessive processing will be wasting your money, and the SoA will change.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 8:01:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By echap:
I am looking at upgrading my computer, but am not really into computers so I submit to you gentlemen for advice.

I think I want to go with an AMD 64 3000+, but am confused as to what processor to get. There are these different cores, i.e. Venice, Newcastle, and Winchester (I like the Winchester but for the wrong reasons I am sure)

I also like ASUS MoBo like maybe the K8V-X, any thoughts?

So let me know what I should buy and why. I like to use Newegg.com

I am not a hardcore gamer, but I do like to play Call of Duty; I only want to upgrade RAM, MoBO, and CPU.

Thanks,
Eric

Get a 939 Pin Athlon 64 processor. The 939 pin socket has the longest upgrade path (754 pin is going away). You can't go wrong with a Asus motherboard. Unless you're going to be overclocking your processor, then it really doesn't matter what core you buy. The 90nm processors do use a little less power and run cooler, and will overclock more.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 8:03:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By sixgunsblazing:
I'm not up to snuff yet on the different variations of AMD 64 Processors, but if you only want to upgrade Ram Mobo and CPU, then you need to make sure the motherboard has AGP instead of PCI-E and IDE instead of SATA, or that would be more components you need to upgrade. You might want to check your powersupply to make sure it's up to snuff, also..

Nooooo

If you play games at all, don't spend much money (like over $200) on an AGP system.
All the new video cards are PCI-E, even the mid-range cards. You'll prolly spend a few more $$ on an AGP vid card that can't go into new mobos. PCI-E has been around for about 1 year now.

Search www.pricewatch.com and see what I mean.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 8:08:50 AM EDT
Go with the Venice core. This is the newest version of the A64. They have improved the memory controller and added SSE3 over the older Winchester core.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 9:12:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Gator:

Originally Posted By sixgunsblazing:

Nooooo

If you play games at all, don't spend much money (like over $200) on an AGP system.
All the new video cards are PCI-E, even the mid-range cards. You'll prolly spend a few more $$ on an AGP vid card that can't go into new mobos. PCI-E has been around for about 1 year now.

Search www.pricewatch.com and see what I mean.

He stated he's not replacing the vid card, I asssumed it's an AGP card. If he's buying everything new, then of course go PCI-E. SATA connectors for the harddrive might also be an issue, he's upgrading, not building new, remember
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:05:49 PM EDT
Well yeah, his old card and HDD should be AGP and IDE.
Basically we should ask what route he's going - absolute cheapest way out or not.

I've upgraded mine and lots of others, and some times it just isn't worth it. I think this is one of those times with PCI-E video taking over. He's getting new mobo, CPU, and RAM - so he'll fall into having all that new shiny stuff, then not too far off later, when wanting to go to a new vid card get strapped down being stuck with AGP. I think most/all of the new mobos have IDE, most optical drives still use IDE (WHY?!?!??! )
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:03:36 PM EDT
Thanks for the suggestions. I plan to stay with my 40GB IDE HD and my G4Ti 4200 Video card. Don't want to upgrade the video right now.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:36:20 PM EDT
you realilze you can get a 160 SATA HD for about 120 bucks and your vidcard is hopelessly outdated, right?
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:38:48 PM EDT
Get the most expensive shit because you know its the best.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:43:50 PM EDT
Definately go with a Venice core.

Asus motherboards are very good, though I prefer Abit myself.

Newegg.com is good to go, I get all of my hardware there. Its actually cheaper than the wholesale cost for computer parts where I work.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 3:08:22 AM EDT
I recently went through this also. I had an XP2700, with 512mb ram and a GF4ti4600. Doom 3 framerates were about 18 on the timedemo, and gameplay was kinda choppy. Upgraded to a BFG 6800Ultra, and framerate went up to the 50s (plus I could increase image quality); when I upgraded cpu and mobo to a A64 3500 Winchester and 1gb ram, framerate went to the high 80s.

moral of the story is upgrade video to a high end one first, then upgrade cpu/mobo.

I'd second the going the PCI-E route.

GO with one of the 3200s, venice core is a must.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 3:30:34 AM EDT
HardOCP $1000 build

That was just posted yesterday - should help you out as a guideline at least. Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 3:45:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/25/2005 3:45:59 AM EDT by metroplex]
That's very good information. I'm in the market for building a new PC as well.
I have about 6 computers at home but I distribute them to family members as I upgrade to newer PCs.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 4:14:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/25/2005 4:18:55 AM EDT by 556_Chowder]
The winchester core is the one you want. Going the socket 939 path is a good choice like someone said ubout the upgradeability. However, the socket 754 version isnt bad either if you are trying to keep cost down. The socket 754 motherboards are a little cheaper. I wouldnt be too much in a hurry for the pci-xpress motherboards. They are costly and the real speed of them havent been tapped into yet. In fact, the full bandwidth of 8x agp hasent been reached yet either. As cheap as ram is now, get yourself a gig of ram. If your main use for the computer isnt going to be for gaming, i wouldnt be worried about getting the latest video card. If your ti4200 plays call of duty just fine, them keep it. Increasing your memory will be your best friend.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 4:26:37 AM EDT
keep in mind nvidia is coming out with their new video card line this summer, I believe.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 4:36:49 AM EDT
I wish I knew a little more about computers... all this abc xyz stuff hurts my head cause i don't know what any of it means!!!
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 4:46:37 AM EDT
Go with one of the N series of boards, not V. Nvidia makes a hell of a chipset for AMD processors. Much better than VIA in my opinion. You definitely can't go wrong with an Asus board though.
Top Top