Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/1/2006 3:39:04 PM EDT
I just bought a new computer built at a local store. AMD 3100 processor, 160GB hard drive, 512mb RAM 400mhz, Win Fast Foxconn motherboard. I have DSL connection thourgh the cable company. The computer seems slow. Maybe because there are no cookies on the computer and all the sights I am looking at are new. Trying to download and view videos seems slow, at least as slow as my old 4.5 year old computer. Is it the DSL or is it my computer? Thanks
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:11:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Docsprague:
I just bought a new computer built at a local store. AMD 3100 processor, 160GB hard drive, 512mb RAM 400mhz, Win Fast Foxconn motherboard. I have DSL connection thourgh the cable company. The computer seems slow. Maybe because there are no cookies on the computer and all the sights I am looking at are new. Trying to download and view videos seems slow, at least as slow as my old 4.5 year old computer. Is it the DSL or is it my computer? Thanks

Check out DSL Reports, under their tools, they have some speed tests and you can find out if your DSL link is in fact slow. They also have some tweaks to make your computer use the full potential of your DSL. If the speed tests do show a fast connection, then I would make sure your computer is free of spyware and viri.

Oh, and for that beefy of a machine, I would bump that ram up to a full gig.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:26:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 8:28:31 PM EDT by cruze5]
i would say your problem is having dsl through the cable company

post your speed from speakeasy.net bottom right click speedtest
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:22:15 PM EDT
Perhaps it's your PC

Try running anti virus and spyware scans

Defrag your computer
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:30:25 PM EDT
At speak easy using the Chicogo Sever I get 2040kbps download and 1999kbps upload. Using Seattle I only got 1500kbps download and 1989kbps upload. I am starting to think it is the DSL because it is a lot faster during earlier morning hours.
Top Top