Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2012 3:54:48 PM EDT
I think it's time I put the '03 Altima out to pasture, it's been a good run. I'm partial to the Altima, and am considering the Hyundai Sonata and Kia Optima as well... But the Altima is definitely the leading contender. With incentives and my trade, I'm looking at $18k plus tax, title and tags. About $19.5k out the door.

I hate buying cars, loathe it.

Any insight on how low the dealer can go on the car itself? I believe that they have been pretty generous on the trade, I don't think my vehicle is worth $4,500... I'd probably be lucky to get $3,500 private sale. Any incentives or dealer hold backs I should know about? They told me about a $1,500 incentive, but I'm curious whether there is anything the dealership gets behind the scenes that can give me some negotiating power. My financing is already lined up through my credit union.

ETA ended up getting a 2012 Optima
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 4:25:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Come on ARF knows all!
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 4:33:39 PM EDT
[#2]
No clue, but my advice is to check the paper and craigslist.  I bought my sonota off of craigslist, I let someone else drive it off the lot and pay the depreciation.  

Link Posted: 3/30/2012 4:36:56 PM EDT
[#3]
My old lady drives a 2011 Altima.  She seems to like it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 4:40:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice cars however, when I test drove one I did not like the CV Transmission.

If there are rebates offer invoice minus all factory rebates and dealer discounts.

Email the internet dept with this offer at 3-4 dealers....
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 4:41:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No clue, but my advice is to check the paper and craigslist.  I bought my sonota off of craigslist, I let someone else drive it off the lot and pay the depreciation.    

My sister has a 2009 Sonata and loves it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 4:43:44 PM EDT
[#6]
First off , Never buy a Brand new car . Cars are one of the worst investments period . Don't ever put any money down . If i walked into a dealership to buy a corvette and i had a million dollars , If i could , i would leave the dealership with the corvette and my million dollars . Leave your money in the bank and let it make you money not the banks .

Nissan is one of the best manufacturers right now . They have found a great platform and work off it . The altima and rogue are the same and the maxima and murano .

For 19 k you could buy yourself a real pretty used Cadillac
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 4:46:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like there are $3150 rebates here in Central TX...

Enter  zipcode to what  the rebate is in your area

http://www.truecar.com/
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 4:48:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 4:55:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm partial to the Altima

The only  "automatic" available is a CVT - and you're Nissan's beta-tester for it.

Link Posted: 3/30/2012 5:00:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm partial to the Altima

The only  "automatic" available is a CVT - and you're Nissan's beta-tester for it.

I thought the CVT became standard on the Altima back in 2007, and some of their other models back in the early 00's
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 5:11:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 5:35:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Not in the budget.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 5:37:59 PM EDT
[#13]

and also the new fusion which looks awesome, so hold off for a few months and then see.

Link Posted: 3/30/2012 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

and also the new fusion which looks awesome, so hold off for a few months and then see.

My car may need major repairs within a few months. Exhaust system, I have a fidgety Evap system, the driver side control arm may need replacement, been almost two ears nice it has had brake work... I would prefer not to wait until something goes majorly wrong and be bent over a barrel. My experience is that new cars with new designs are in demand at first and sell at sticker or a premium.

Trust me, $4,500 trade on my car is a gift!
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 6:06:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I think it's time I put the '03 Altima out to pasture, it's been a good run. I'm partial to the Altima, and am considering the Hyundai Sonata and Kia Optima as well... But the Altima is definitely the leading contender. With incentives and my trade, I'm looking at $18k plus tax, title and tags. About $19.5k out the door.

I hate buying cars, loathe it.

Any insight on how low the dealer can go on the car itself? I believe that they have been pretty generous on the trade, I don't think my vehicle is worth $4,500... I'd probably be lucky to get $3,500 private sale. Any incentives or dealer hold backs I should know about? They told me about a $1,500 incentive, but I'm curious whether there is anything the dealership gets behind the scenes that can give me some negotiating power. My financing is already lined up through my credit union.

CARMAX near me have them for $19,278 down from $23,960 sticker - which seems pretty good.  LINK
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 6:08:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My car may need major repairs within a few months. Exhaust system, I have a fidgety Evap system, the driver side control arm may need replacement, been almost two ears nice it has had brake work... I would prefer not to wait until something goes majorly wrong and be bent over a barrel. My experience is that new cars with new designs are in demand at first and sell at sticker or a premium.

2012 camry?
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 6:18:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

2012 camry?

True car says $21,500 is a good price in my area, with no incentives currently offered. With likely trade value it's about the same as the Altima. I can look into it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 6:31:10 PM EDT
[#18]

best value for the money out there in your price range
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 7:08:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

2012 camry?

True car says $21,500 is a good price in my area, with no incentives currently offered. With likely trade value it's about the same as the Altima. I can look into it.

Usually there should be some on the lot at a decent discount.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 2:48:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh301/djfanintn/2012%20KIa%20Optima%20SX/IMG_0492-1.jpg

After checking out the Altima, Camry, Sonata, Accord, Mazda 6 and 3, I ended up getting an Optima. For the price you do seem to get th most bang for the buck, and the 5 year 60k bumper to bumper, and 10 year 100k power train, were far better than the Altima I was looking at. Got the LX model, and after my trade I owed $18k... That includes tax, title, tags, registration.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 3:00:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh301/djfanintn/2012%20KIa%20Optima%20SX/IMG_0492-1.jpg

After checking out the Altima, Camry, Sonata, Accord, Mazda 6 and 3, I ended up getting an Optima. For the price you do seem to get th most bang for the buck, and the 5 year 60k bumper to bumper, and 10 year 100k power train, were far better than the Altima I was looking at. Got the LX model, and after my trade I owed $18k... That includes tax, title, tags, registration.

Excellent choice, sir.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top