Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2005 8:31:07 PM EDT
I do not know much about cars, thats why I came to the experts. I am looking for a new card (new to me) that would be a good base model to fix up and be easy to work on and add on. An all american muscle car, rice burners need not apply. I don't know much about different types of cars, but i've worked on a few before and stripped a few as well with my father. So here I come to y'all for ideas and wishes.

Something that'll impress the girls...and the other dudes looking at her. Something that I can work on and add onto it....so..what do y'all say?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:57:06 PM EDT
[#1]
How much do you have to spend? Mustangs and F-Bodies are always a good platform.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:11:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
How much do you have to spend? Mustangs and F-Bodies are always a good platform.

I have some $ on reserve, and I have awhile to save up and look around as well. With the job I have now it wouldn't take long to buy a car. I'm not really looking for the fastest car on the block right out of the factory I want something I can get in and work on. I want to be able to appreciate whats under the hood and the time I spent in it.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:27:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Once again. How much do you want to spend? Some $ is not an answer. Kinda hard to give someone a recommendation when they in no way give you an idea what they want.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:37:06 PM EDT
[#4]
under 10k hopefully.

I think I found the car I want. What do you know about 1967 Shelby Mustangs? Or 66'
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:48:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
under 10k hopefully.

I think I found the car I want. What do you know about 1967 Shelby Mustangs? Or 66'

I know you wont get one for anywhere close to $10,000. Those are worth in the neighborhood of $50,000 and more. 10G's would get you a junkyard Shelby but I see now that you want something late 60's. Sadly most 60's and early 70's Mustangs will run you over your 10K as well being that they are pretty sought after cars. I would recommend late model muscle as in Fox body 88-93 Mustang or LT1 Camaro. You can find eaither of those in decent shape for around 5K and put another few grand in them. On an older muscle car more often that not there is a good 5k in body work that needs to be done. Rust is a bitch.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:20:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Well I looked around abit (mostly on ebay) and I found some cars a shelby 65' and 66' that were in pretty good conditions ranging from 4k to 7k however they weren't all complete and I think that they were clones.

Now..are the clones structurally any different?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:09:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't get a late model Mustang or Camaro.They're belly-button cars-everybody has one.
Get something older/less common.I've picked up all kinds of screaming deals over the years,but they're much harder to come by nowdays.I always spied something sitting out behind someones place,or dead in the driveway.Make them an offer.I always start out with "I'll haul that old thing off for you",or "I need it for parts".
With today's repro and aftermarket industries,it easy to put something together.
BUT,BUY A SOUND PLATFORM TO START WITH.Take a rustfree,plain Jane anything,over a cancer rottenSS,GT,etc.
Clones are fine.a cheap way to get what you want,just don't misrepresent it when you go to sell it.And watch out,lots of cars for sale are fakes/putty balls.

Depending on your brand preference:
Mopar:
late 60's B bodys-Coronets,Satellites,etc-make a Roadrunner,GTX.Plenty of interior room,and lots of room to get to the engine.Buy a 318 model,get a junkyard 440.
Darts,Dusters if smaller suits you.
Ford:
early 70s Mustangs are still relatively inexpensive.Torinos come cheap.Cogars,etc
GM:
Chevelles,Impalas,Novas-PLENTY to choose from

Don't forget the big,oddball stuff:
'65 Rivieras are just plain cool.Early 70s Caddys.Hell,set of flowmasters and some rims (and nitrous),get yorself a purple velvet hat,and the ladies will be lining up.Or take a sawzall to it and make it a convertable-keep it in the barn when it rains.Saw one that was cut-the guy made up a frame and went to a boat shop.They made him a canvas top that snapped on when needed.Cheap and way cool.Late 60's /early 70s wagons-same platform as the desirable cars,but more room/less money.Make a 70 SS CHevelle wagon.Trim, Rallys,duals-you're good to go.

BEWARE stuff on eBay-Don't bite unless you can see the car first.Always better to find local.Start looking,and good luck.Dave

Ford
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:25:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:45:05 AM EDT
[#9]
The Duster looks mighty fine and I think I'll try to look for one of those. :) thanks y'all i'll keep you updated.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:14:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I was watching a gearhead show and they fixed up a Nova wagon like an SS.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:16:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Like YellowVW said, the Fox Mustangs and Camaros are a good way to go.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:26:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The Duster looks mighty fine and I think I'll try to look for one of those. :) thanks y'all i'll keep you updated.

If you get an early Duster,try to get a V8.Most likely will be a 318.Can then go 360 route.I think left motor mount is different,but easy job.If you need it for everyday driving,you can go headers,duals,aluminum intake and small 4 bbl,with ignition updates,and still make decent power and retain driveability/mileage with the 318.
If you go the 440 swap,don't plan on driving it everyday.Lot of weight on front end-can put battery in trunk,al. heads and intake.But,if it's a driver,318/360 will do you fine.Plus,nitrous is your friend.
Also,wheel (lug) spacing is sometimes odd with Darts/Dusters, if you swap rears.Will have to replace front discs or redrill if  you go to a  heavier rear,and want fronts to have same pattern.318,mild cam,MAYBE 360 heads or aftermarket,al. dual plane intake,electronic ignition,shift kit,3.55s.Driveable and fun.And NOT a bellybutton car.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:29:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:10:14 PM EDT
[#14]
actually after talking with my dad it turns out he loves to build up muscle cars. He knows a guy who has a 68' Camaro Ralley Sport. I am gonna see how that turns out, i'll keep y'all updated.

Thanks for the info y'all i'll keep lurking in this forum and reading up :)
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:24:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Ah,ya got me.First car was a '67 RS, that I picked up in '77 for $50!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:41:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Get this, my uncle spotted a 67' Corvette Convertible, the body is in good shape and it has no engine or tranny. Me and my dad are gonna jump on it like flies on shit.

More details later.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:51:50 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Get this, my uncle spotted a 67' Corvette Convertible, the body is in good shape and it has no engine or tranny. Me and my dad are gonna jump on it like flies on shit.

More details later.

Keep us updated with PICS!!!
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:16:00 PM EDT
[#18]

good chance we're gonna take this baby home, there are more pictures but I'de rather not upload them ALL.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:29:20 PM EDT
[#19]
check the frame on that car really good. It looks in the pic like it has rust in the birdcage area(around the winshield. It may require extensive rebuild in that area. Don't forget the bodies on those are fiberglass so they will not rust but the frame and birdcage will. If it looks ok go for it it will be a money pit I know my 76 is.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:37:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Aye, they are more pictures of the interior and my uncle (car is in TX) looked at it from bumper to bumper and it is pristine. No rust at ALL.

the frame is in GREAT condition.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:47:42 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd then say go for it c2(63-67) vettes are getting hard to come by. If it's solid I'd jump on it.
just drop a 427 in it and have fun. here is my 76 350 auto, true duals. etc fun car. I really enjoy working on mine.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:49:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Izzy, I will be selling my mustang this fall. Its a 95 GT with 82,000 miles and 15,000 on rebuild. Its supercharged as well as countless other mods. Its alot of car but is a daily driver and gets 19 mpg city and around 21/23 highway.

Its pretty easy to work on especially since I took out the AC The stereo system is even done up nice. You know I need my roof done so maybe we could work something out?

ETA: looks like Im too late...oh well......hey I thought you guys were blue oval all the way
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:40:04 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Izzy, I will be selling my mustang this fall. Its a 95 GT with 82,000 miles and 15,000 on rebuild. Its supercharged as well as countless other mods. Its alot of car but is a daily driver and gets 19 mpg city and around 21/23 highway.

Its pretty easy to work on especially since I took out the AC The stereo system is even done up nice. You know I need my roof done so maybe we could work something out?

ETA: looks like Im too late...oh well......hey I thought you guys were blue oval all the way

;) Don't worry, never the less friends always get good prices on roofs!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:23:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:59:28 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I'd check it over very good. That body has been modified quite a bit. Those are some big assed flares on the back fenders..Were the previous owners road racing it?
ETA..I noticed it has a flip front end too.
You're looking at a hell of a lot of work to get the body smooth and straight enough to look good when you paint it.
A buddy of mine hand sanded his 74 vette for 2 years on weekends before it was smooth enough to paint.

Right you are, its not all original infact its really a 73' frame with a 67' body. All the points fit correctly, and whoever did the frame work did a professional job on it. It was used as a race car before, and putting in the work is half the fun :)

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:58:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:28:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Thats nice car and everything even though its a bowtie...better get a big block if you want to run with my 5 liter
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:57:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:07:10 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Thats nice car and everything even though its a bowtie...better get a big block if you want to run with my 5 liter

five liter

remember friends don't let friend drive fords
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:10:31 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thats nice car and everything even though its a bowtie...better get a big block if you want to run with my 5 liter rustang

Dont make me come up there and embarrass your Iroc
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:22:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:34:13 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thats nice car and everything even though its a bowtie...better get a big block if you want to run with my 5 liter rustang

Dont make me come up there and embarrass your Iroc

Heck..if you're gonna drive all the way up here...I'll spot ya a couple of lenghts.

Hell, I'll bypass the supercharger and still wax you. Are blown 5.0's even legal in Canada?

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:04:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:57:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Ok, after much debating and looking around we got ourselves a muscle car.

While its form has much change from the begining, from first being a Camaro, to a Superbee, to a Boss 302, to a road runner, to a vette...it has finnally found its final form.

and its all mine.

(i'm the dude in the suit)
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:04:00 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Got any pics of your Mustang? It sounds wicked.

Well I will in a week or two. Its for sale
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:05:41 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Ok, after much debating and looking around we got ourselves a muscle car.

While its form has much change from the begining, from first being a Camaro, to a Superbee, to a Boss 302, to a road runner, to a vette...it has finnally found its final form.

home.earthlink.net/~usberet/images/DSC00005.JPG

home.earthlink.net/~usberet/images/DSC00006.JPG

home.earthlink.net/~usberet/images/DSC00007.JPG

and its all mine.

(i'm the dude in the suit)

That looks nice man. If you wanted to get a little creative you could do a 5.0 injected motor. That would be cool. Then put a big tubro or two small ones on it...you only live once
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:30:06 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I'd then say go for it c2(63-67) vettes are getting hard to come by. If it's solid I'd jump on it.
just drop a 427 in it and have fun. here is my 76 350 auto, true duals. etc fun car. I really enjoy working on mine.

i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/kman84/VETTE4.jpg

Girl I work with has an orange one like that...You've probably seen her...She does commercials for Express Credit Auto on the side.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top