Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2005 6:21:03 AM EDT
Chief just got a FEMA grant for $60,000 and since I have been in charge of bunker gear and equipment issue, he has asked me to select our new gear. I am interested in what you firefighters have in terms of manufacturer, material, etc...This grant will replace our boots, hoods, gloves, trousers, jackets, helmets, and repalce our wildland fire gear (including shelters). All helpful advice will be appreciated!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:50:08 AM EDT
[#1]
we're getting some new stuff too with the fema grant, but me being strictly band-aid i couldn't tell you what we got.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:34:41 PM EDT
[#2]
how many sets do you need?
You can spend 60k FAST on gear

If you go with brand new gear you can expect to spend:
~150 each helmet
~90 each pr of boots
~1200 for bunker pants & jacket
~40 for each pr of gloves
~25 for each hood
so thats approx $1500 for each new set of structural gear
then for wildland:
~200 for a wildland jumpsuit OR ~120 for Jacket and ~110 for Pants
~20 for pr of gloves
~40 for wildland helmet
~120 for pr of wildland boots
~200 for shelter ( I guesstimated because I couldn't find one)
so thats approx 580(jumpsuit) OR 610(shirt/pants) for wildland gear

So you are looking in the neighborhood of about $2000 per firefighter for a completely new set of gear.
For these estimates I went to TheFireStore and picked the middle of the road as far as price/quality went.
As far as what I wear, my dept issues us globe turnouts, and I have thoroughgood hellfire boots and a Cairns 1010 helmet.  Its good gear.
The only wildland gear we get is a jumpsuit and I can't remember which brand it is.  On wildfires I have an old pair of leather boots that I wear

You could probably get a better deal if you called someone and bought it all togther, and I would get a hold of your state forestry service and see if they will specifically give a grant for wildland gear or match funds or something.

If you could get a bit more specific on how many members you have, how many of each type of fire you run in a year, etc, I could help you out a bit more.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:18:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I think that our goal is to get 40 complete sets.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:32:30 PM EDT
[#4]
You may have to get some of the budget gear then, or find some more grant money or something because its going to be hard to 40 sets of gear for 60k...
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:01:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Many of the departments in our area are going with the Globe Extreme gear.  I have to say so far I like mine.  If you contact the manufacturers or regional ditributors they should send you some samples to play with.  But $60k goes quick.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:35:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Repeat after me..........

Leather Boots
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:41:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Leather Boots

Have had leather Warrington boots for close to 5 years...like wearing church shoes to a fire/MVA.  

G-Xtreme is great, I like it too.....but its not the economy line.  We wear Globe PBI (GX7 cut) I believe they call it.   It is decent stuff but the velcro closure leaves little to be desired.  My duty coat has been sent off twice, but sum that up the cost of doing business.  Jainesville is decent stuff, but a shade higher.  Morning Pride is nice, I like the built in harness option, but that too isnt economical on a tight budget.  Basic gear will get the job done just the same.  There have been recalls on some liners, so do some research.

PBI is probably your best bet for middle of the road material that will hold up for a while. Millenia is great but a few hundred dollars more per set adds up at the end of the day.  Bulk orders should get you some discount.  As far as the helmets, you may want to replace those as needed. Personally Id rather have a helmet Ive had for a while then some brand new piece that protects me just the same. Economy hoods do the same job as the high end fancy shit.  Carbon hoods are nice, but an unessesary cost for an issued piece.  Carbon is too protected in my opinion..but anyway.   Gloves are gloves pretty much, they all tear and wear eventually.  

You'll have to prioritize what needs to be replaced.  The intent of the grants are to buy things you ordinarily wouldnt be able to buy.  Dont get carried away with the fact you have $60,000 to spend, use it wisely.  Dont think you  need the best gear money can buy...because you dont.  Expect to have to add department money to that grant funding to complete your objective.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:22:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Leather Boots

Have had leather Warrington boots for close to 5 years...like wearing church shoes to a fire/MVA.  

G-Xtreme is great, I like it too.....but its not the economy line.  We wear Globe PBI (GX7 cut) I believe they call it.   It is decent stuff but the velcro closure leaves little to be desired.  My duty coat has been sent off twice, but sum that up the cost of doing business.  Jainesville is decent stuff, but a shade higher.  Morning Pride is nice, I like the built in harness option, but that too isnt economical on a tight budget.  Basic gear will get the job done just the same.  There have been recalls on some liners, so do some research.

PBI is probably your best bet for middle of the road material that will hold up for a while. Millenia is great but a few hundred dollars more per set adds up at the end of the day.  Bulk orders should get you some discount.  As far as the helmets, you may want to replace those as needed. Personally Id rather have a helmet Ive had for a while then some brand new piece that protects me just the same. Economy hoods do the same job as the high end fancy shit.  Carbon hoods are nice, but an unessesary cost for an issued piece.  Carbon is too protected in my opinion..but anyway.   Gloves are gloves pretty much, they all tear and wear eventually.  

You'll have to prioritize what needs to be replaced.  The intent of the grants are to buy things you ordinarily wouldnt be able to buy.  Dont get carried away with the fact you have $60,000 to spend, use it wisely.  Dont think you  need the best gear money can buy...because you dont.  Expect to have to add department money to that grant funding to complete your objective.  

This is some good info that I was looking for in tpes of material....

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:22:30 PM EDT
[#9]
AH! I hate new gear! makes yah look like a probie!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:01:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been on two different FD's that got FEMA grants, and have used it to purchase (among other things) turnout gear.

With that much money...

Make them bid for YOU! Contact the local distributors of Lion/Globe, etc etc etc and tell them you have been awarded a FEMA grant (do not tell for how much) and you want to receive bids on outfitting XXX number of FF's. Have them come do demonstrations with the differnet gear, bring samples for the guys to try on, etc. Contact two or three different distributors, and make them EARN your dollar (well, your dollar and mine, since it's a gov't grant).

You will be inundated with lots of sales BS, so do your research ahead of time. You will see a lot of flashy shit, but some good info and good gear as well. Don't pick the flashiest or the most expensive, pick what best suits your dept and members.

Just a tip.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:43:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Morning Pride, baby!

Oh, and let me edit to add Warrington Pro pull-up leather boots. They're like wearing fuzzy bunny slippers compared to rubber boots. You will never go back.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:18:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the advice fellas. I feel better about what I need to look for. I need to get the officers together and set up a meeting.....
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:43:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Morning Pride, baby!

Thats the STUFF as a NYC FF thats all we use
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:26:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Work- Morning Pride, pretty good stuff............. But I'm not to crazy about the heat channel knee pads (the one with the ridges) they kill my knees............ Maybe I'm just getting old........

Volly- Lion.......... Excellent gear, and I love my Carnes 1010.

And I too would go with leather boots..............

We got a FEMA grant too............. Enough to up grade our SCBA's.......... We are staying with MSA but going to the  MMR with heads up display........can't wait  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:11:21 AM EDT
[#15]
After meeting with our Chief last night, we are going with 20 complete sets of bunker gear (trouser, coat, hood, boots, gloves, and helmet). And 20 complete sets of wildland gear (pants, shirt, gloves, shelter, canteens, helmet, and boots). The morning pride rep will be here tonight........
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:33:50 AM EDT
[#16]
For me, Ben2 helmets from Morning Pride didnt make the cut after all the hype.  Didnt seem to like being in the same room as the fire.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top