Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2004 5:28:06 PM EDT
www.armytimes.com/story.php?s=1-292925-xm8.php

I am still not entirely conviced this weapon offers a material improvement from the current AR platform...albeit, I do appreciate it's ergonomic enhancements (which these videos I think demonstrate well), an improved caliber would represent a much more impactful enhancement, warranting its adoption.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:32:54 PM EDT
[#1]
damn not a hiccup out of the Beta-C mag at all
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:38:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't get the whole XM8 thing. From what I've read (and this isn't final information at all, but sounds like something that MIGHT happen), the planned barrel lengths are 9" for SF, 12.5" for infantry (!!!), and 20" for sniping. Now, with the M4 at 14.5", the SF guys already complain about a lack of knock-down from the 5.56. Guess what will happen when that drops to 9" (if it does)? How about a 12.5" infantry bbl.? I don't see things getting any better if this rifle gets adopted. Personally, I think it's a waste of our money.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:54:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Impressive, to say the least. Needed? That's an entirely different story, given the development of the M4 and the existence of piston uppers now.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:05:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I don't get the whole XM8 thing. From what I've read (and this isn't final information at all, but sounds like something that MIGHT happen), the planned barrel lengths are 9" for SF, 12.5" for infantry (!!!), and 20" for sniping. Now, with the M4 at 14.5", the SF guys already complain about a lack of knock-down from the 5.56. Guess what will happen when that drops to 9" (if it does)? How about a 12.5" infantry bbl.? I don't see things getting any better if this rifle gets adopted. Personally, I think it's a waste of our money.

shit I had a 20" and 5.56 would have to take a few rounds to stop some one. it frusturating when you go pop and hes still advancing and you go pop pop and and he finaly falls and you go pop to make him stop moving. yeah yeah  sniope him with a head shot that'll drop him, but soldiers are trained center mass. 5.56=oversize pellet gun
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:10:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top