Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/2/2004 8:14:16 AM EST
I was looking around the net last night and saw something about a new requirement for Sten demill cuts. Instead of the saw cut reciever that leaves the parts in useable condition, there will be a torch cut that destroys every part.

Will the $40 Sten kit turn into a $200 Sten kit in November?

What about other kits? Will the $140 AK parts kit become the $1000 AK parts kit?

Even if you have 0 interest in these items it could be a good investment.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:03:20 AM EST
Haven't they always required that a cut in order to be legal must remove X amount of material anyway?

A torch cut will, a saw blade doesn't.

I remember reading a bunch about the demill requirements when PW Arms gut busted for the FAL kits that hadn't been properly cut.

Stuff like this is specified

An ATF-approved method of destruction for an FN FAL type machinegun
receiver requires three diagonal torch cuts that sever or pass through the
following areas: (1) the threaded portion of the receiver ring and magazine well
opening at bottom, (2) the hinge pin, ejector block and bolt guide rails, and
(3) the body locking lug and bolt guide rails. All cutting must be done with a
cutting torch having a tip of sufficient size to displace at least ¼ inch of material
at each location. Each cut must completely sever the receiver in the designated
areas and must be done with a diagonal torch cut. Using a bandsaw or a cut-off
wheel to destroy the receiver does not ensure destruction of the weapon.

PDF file for FAL demill requirements
www.atf.gov/firearms/rules/2003-2.pdf

Sounds like they might be making a Sten specific policy.

Looks like the BATFE is broken too.

Failed to connect
The host 199.196.146.50 could not be contacted. If this persists, you should contact the administrator of the remote site.

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:07:49 AM EST
The kits that come with all the reciever parts have to have 1/4" torch cuts. The kits that are sold without complete reciever parts can be saw cut, IIRC.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:10:47 AM EST
tagged to see if I need to go ahead and buy that AMD63 kit.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:14:03 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:17:21 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:19:56 AM EST

Originally Posted By CAMPYBOB:
what's odd is that the latest ak74 kits that i purchased had the front and rear receiver stubs cut with an abrasive/cut off saw.

two vertical and one horizontal cut, per requirement...and no center section (the part that contained all those eeeevil holes) included with the kit.

Perhaps an allowance is made if the center section was never imported?
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:21:00 AM EST
I bought a sten kit awhile back from sportsmansguide.com. 40 bucks and the only thing wrong with it is the cut up receiver tube. Barrel is fine, the lower receiver has a small notch cut in it where they sawed a little too far, but otherwise its fine. I just need to figure out how to remove the barrel from the front part of the receiever tube... its riveted in :/
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:26:25 AM EST

Originally Posted By 1Andy2:
I bought a sten kit awhile back from sportsmansguide.com. 40 bucks and the only thing wrong with it is the cut up receiver tube. Barrel is fine, the lower receiver has a small notch cut in it where they sawed a little too far, but otherwise its fine. I just need to figure out how to remove the barrel from the front part of the receiever tube... its riveted in :/

It's riveted and soldered in.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:30:09 AM EST
I bet I could grind the rivets down and tap em out somehow...
Top Top