Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/14/2005 5:43:19 AM EDT
asimo.honda.com/inside_asimo_movies.asp

Honda Debuts New ASIMO

TOKYO, December 13, 2005 – Honda Motor Co., Ltd. today debuted a new ASIMO humanoid robot that features the ability to pursue key tasks in a real-life environment such as an office and an advanced level of physical capabilities. Compared to the previous model, the new ASIMO achieves the enhanced ability to act in sync with people -- for example, walking with a person while holding hands. A new function to carry objects using a cart was also added. Further, the development of a "total control system" enables ASIMO to automatically perform the tasks of a receptionist or information guide and carry out delivery service. In addition, the running capability is dramatically improved, with ASIMO now capable of running at a speed of 6km/hour and of running in a circular pattern.

Honda has been pursuing research and development of a truly useful humanoid robot that possesses both intelligence and physical capabilities at a high level. With the advancements achieved with this new ASIMO, the initial goal of achieving advanced physical capabilities is accomplished. Honda will continue and even more proactively pursue research and development efforts by shifting the focus to the area of intelligence capabilities, which, for example, will further enable ASIMO to make comprehensive judgments based on various situations.

1. New function to perform tasks of a receptionist or information guide automatically in concert with people:

* ASIMO is now capable of performing tasks as a receptionist or information guide automatically in concert with the movement of people. This was achieved by providing ASIMO with the ability to recognize the surrounding environment through its visual sensors, floor surface sensor, ultrasonic sensor, and by an IC Tele-interaction Communication Card (*1), which was developed independently by Honda, and is held by the person with whom ASIMO will interact. Moreover, through the coordinated use of its eye camera in the head and the force (kinesthetic) sensor on its wrists, ASIMO can give and receive an object such as a tray in a timely manner. Further, by using the force (kinesthetic) sensor, ASIMO can hold the hand of the person and move in sync with them.

(*1) IC Tele-interaction Communication Card: By adding an optical communication function to the IC tag, the existence and position of the person or object can be identified. With this card, ASIMO can recognize the location and identity of the person regardless of where the person stands in a 360-degree range from ASIMO.

2. New function to carry objects using a cart

ASIMO is now capable of handling a cart freely while maintaining an appropriate distance from the cart by adjusting the force of its right and left arms to push a cart using the force (kinesthetic) sensor on its wrists. Even when the movement of the cart is disturbed, ASIMO can continue maneuvering by taking flexible actions such as slowing down or changing directions.

3. Improved running functions

* Through proactive control of ASIMO’s posture while both feet are off the ground, the running speed was doubled from the previous 3km/hour to 6km/hour. In addition, running in a circular pattern at a high speed was achieved by tilting the center of gravity of ASIMO’s body inside of the circle to maintain balance with the amount of centrifugal force experienced.

Honda will begin operating this new ASIMO in spring 2006 at its research and development Wako Building in Japan.

Various technological achievements obtained through the research and development of ASIMO, including posture control technologies, image and voice recognition technologies, and technologies to anticipate and avoid collisions, will be applied to other technological pursuits within Honda, such as automotive safety technology and other areas.

Key specifications of the new ASIMO (in comparison with the “next-generation” ASIMO that debuted December 11, 2004) :

1. Running speed:

* 6km/hour (previous model: 3km/hour)
* Airborne time: 0.08 second (previous model: 0.05 second)
* Distance ASIMO moves forward while both feet are off the ground : 50mm

2. Normal walking speed: 2.7km/hour (previous model: 2.5km/hour)

3. Speed of running in a circular pattern: 5km/hour (2.5m radius)

4. Walking speed while carrying objects: 1.6km/hour (based on carrying object: weighing 1kg)

5. Height: 130cm

6. Weight: 54kg

7. Operating degrees of freedom: Total 34 degrees of freedom
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:55:53 AM EDT
You will be Terminated.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:57:39 AM EDT
When it runs, it looks like it has to take a wicked shit!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:57:58 AM EDT
Beck put out a music video with a whole bunch of those robots dancing. it's awesome.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:07:24 AM EDT
These things will be used to manufacture Honda Auto's in just a few years would be my guess.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:08:31 AM EDT
I'd like to see them do a mag change on an M16
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:10:45 AM EDT
Check out the "capabilities' video

The robot hands a lady a tray, then bends to check out her ass as she walks away!!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:12:38 AM EDT
wow!

Let me know when they come out with a cute one with big jugs.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:18:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Duffy:

Robots will have belt fed miniguns with feed chutes and will carry their own weight in ammunition.
Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:22:59 AM EDT
But can it make a good cup of coffee?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:27:46 AM EDT

Okay, that freaks me out.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:32:27 AM EDT
Honda ain't got nuthin' on SONY'S ROBOTS.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:35:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RobarSR60:

I swear to god they were about the do the robot dance at the end !
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:35:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/14/2005 6:36:07 AM EDT by ShortMikeB]
I have to confess that I have following the ASIMO project, and a few others such as the one that is being developed in Korea that receives constant updates from a buitl in wifi.

I'm 29.....and there is very little in this world that I find frightening....but these things terrify me for some reason. Some people are afraid of clowns, me, I'm afraid of robots.

I am so thankful that they are currently made out of plastic, there is no way a palstic robot will be able to withstand a nailbat(a baseball bat with a large gauge nail through the fat end) attack.

I'm am convinced that my fear is irrational, but these things can walk up and down stairs, they can run, they can grip things. My nightmare is being chased up the stairs by a running 3' plastic robot with a kitchen knife.

That's my other reason for believing that they are evil. They are only 3' tall. The claim is that they are designed to help people. How is a 3' robot going to help someone? It can't reach the washing machine, it can't get stuff off the top shelf, it can't reach the knobs on the stove, it can't pull stuff out of the bed of a truck, can't push the lawnmower.....3' robots can't possibly be practical in aiding in household chores.

This means that their small size only suits one purpose. They are travel size for invasion purposes. They are small so that their 'cute' appearance will keep people from believing that the robots are evil.

Okay I'm done now. I will accept all suggestions for tin foil hats, crazy conspiracy theories, irrational fear flames and names and numbers of therapists...all of which I will ignore, and continue to harbor my fear in hopes that it never comes to fruition while I reload another 12 gauge shell.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:39:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By fight4yourrights:

The robot hands a lady a tray, then bends to check out her ass as she walks away!!

The robot was bowing, Japanese custom. However... I was
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:40:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/14/2005 6:42:21 AM EDT by Admiral_Crunch]
It's only running if both feet are off the ground at the same time. It looks more like a fast walk to me. Still impressive.

ETA: I take that back. The slow-mo vid on the site does indeed show that for a split second, both feet are indeed off the ground. Bravo!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:41:07 AM EDT

When they're finally armed and more aware, they'll avenge having been made to do these gay dances.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:42:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ChrisJ:

Originally Posted By fight4yourrights:

The robot was bowing, Japanese custom. However... I was

I know, but it doesn't look good.......
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:44:45 AM EDT

So what round should we use to take out ASIMO? .308? 30'06? Surely not 5.56!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:44:58 AM EDT
"I, for one, welcome our robotic overlords."
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:45:01 AM EDT
Is it still technically a robot? Seems they're getting into android territory.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:45:48 AM EDT

Movement maybe. But not "intelligence". Face recognition, answering questions, following commands and such.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:48:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mayday:
So what round should we use to take out ASIMO? .308? 30'06? Surely not 5.56!

They're made of plastic, and only three feet tall so 5.56 should be just fine.

I think they qualify as 'varmint' sized.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:49:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SJSAMPLE:

They will take care of us. I love robots.

Remember this when you take over the world Mr. Robot sir.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:51:19 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:52:13 AM EDT
Where is the best shot placement on that thing where are its CPU's?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:53:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By A-nus:

The batteries are in its back......I have no problem shooting a robot in the back
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:55:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By A-nus:

When in doubt, aim for the knees. Then you should be able to outrun it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:56:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DVDTracker:
Please go stand by the stairs
so I can protect you.

So is this the Pusher Robot or the Shover Robot?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:57:45 AM EDT
Wow, they're really making progress on this!

Next step: Scaling it up 1000% and making it transform into an airplane!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:59:03 AM EDT

Robots will have belt fed miniguns with feed chutes and will carry their own weight in ammunition.

Robots don’t need mini-guns. Every shot goes exactly where they want it to go.

I wonder how far away we are from Robocop and Robogrunt?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:00:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CTKurt:

They will take care of us. I love robots.

Remember this when you take over the world Mr. Robot sir.

I for one welcome our new robot overlords...
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:00:58 AM EDT
The day these companies make a merger with Real Doll is the day the human race ends.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:01:48 AM EDT
The ASIMO is already wearing a tinted JBT helmet.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:03:48 AM EDT
T3- Rise of the machines
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:05:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/14/2005 7:05:30 AM EDT by mjohn3006]
I for one welcome our new ant overlords!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:06:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Sub-MOA:

Robots don’t need mini-guns. Every shot goes exactly where they want it to go.

I wonder how far away we are from Robocop and Robogrunt?

When they have 50 BMG mini-guns and where they have 110% accuracy, we should worry.

When they have multiple CPU cores, they'll be a bigger threat than zombies!

Aim for its head or CNS will no longer work when it has 5-6 or more CPUs in hardened locations deep inside the belly of the beast.

We'll need HE 25mm to take one out!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:10:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/14/2005 7:12:16 AM EDT by pv74]
Gimme a Rosie...

That is freaking awesome..I cant wait to see what they have out twenty to thirty years from now. Maybe I will have a robot in my house taking out the garbage
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:11:18 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:14:25 AM EDT
www.compfused.com/directlink/670/ Cool video for a non-existant robotics company with a non-existant website.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:24:04 AM EDT
Howd you like to have that coming after you... I for one... would shit.....
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:24:48 AM EDT
In another thread, I stated that Asimo could outrun most every UAW worker when he could run 3 km/h. How that he can run 6, and 5 km/h in a circle, he definately can outrun almost every UAW worker. A plant full of Asimos...that would be the shit.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:25:10 AM EDT
Will Smith will kick its ass
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:26:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By gmtmaster:
Howd you like to have that coming after you... I for one... would shit.....

He's four feet tall...not too scary...yet...

Wait a minute...didn't we fight a war against little Japanese ppl. already?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:30:00 AM EDT

Nah, those are midgets. Can't wait for the Pleasure Model
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:31:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/14/2005 7:32:59 AM EDT by Alien]
If the bi-pedal dog (with no front legs and walks on his hind legs) and that robot ganged up on me in a dark alley I’d fall over and curl up in the fetal position and die of fright.

Or maybe I'd pull a "yo homie, that my briefcase?" like in Collateral
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:33:10 AM EDT
...and so it begins

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:36:49 AM EDT

This sony ones have better balance it seems, however, id like to see one run. Even though it looks like he needs take a dump, it is VERY impressive to watch a robot like that run.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:37:55 AM EDT
AHHHH!!!

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:38:58 AM EDT
Hey lets make it run! Yea, great idea! Hmmm...what to do next? How about giving it the ability to kill everyone! Sweet idea!

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:41:09 AM EDT
Whatever on that pile o crap..

It has NOTHING on the AWESOMO 4000!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top