Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/1/2005 12:33:33 PM EDT
Gee, not that I'm the tin foil type but with stuff like this you have to wonder what else is being withheld.

www.theinquirer.net/?article=25031

Hacker forced new planet discovery out of the closet

10th planet found two years ago

By Nick Farrell: Monday 01 August 2005, 07:39

BOFFINS WHO discovered that there was a 10th planet in our solar system, had been sitting on the news for years until a hacker turned over their servers.

Michael Brown, a planetary scientist at the California Institute of Technology, announced the discovery over the weekend. But according to the South African Sunday Telegraph, here, the briefing was hastily arranged after Brown received word that his secure website containing the discovery had been hacked. The unnamed hacker was threatening to release the information.

It transpired that Brown and his friends had been sitting on the information since 2003 when they snapped it with a 122cm telescope at the Palomar Observatory. However they couldn’t confirm much about it until it was analysed again last January. So in the time honoured tradition of boffins everywhere they decided to keep the data from the common people until they knew a bit more.

Brown said that data is still being processed and it will take at least six months before astronomers can determine the planet’s exact size. The planet seems to be about 1.5 times the size of Pluto, which is usually dubbed a planetoid because it is so small.

The find should further stuff up modern astrologers - they still have not got the hang of Uranus.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:36:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/1/2005 12:37:34 PM EDT by Greenhorn]
Yeah, but astronomers, IIRC, no longer consider Pluto to be a real planet, so we still just have nine.

But I grew up with Pluto as a planet, and I'll die with Pluto as a planet.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:37:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:37:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:39:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:

Originally Posted By Greenhorn:
Yeah, but astronomers, IIRC, no longer consider Pluto to be a real planet, so we still just have nine.

so what it pluto then?

the first person to say mickey's dog gets bitchslapped

Mickey's dog duh!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:41:28 PM EDT

so what it pluto then?

The guy who is throwing all the bottles and cans at Popeye in that arcade game...
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:42:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Torf:

so what it pluto then?

The guy who is throwing all the bottles and cans at Popeye in that arcade game...

I think that is Bluto.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:45:07 PM EDT
so, they find the planet X I have been hearing about for 30 yrs

TXL
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:45:20 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:46:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/1/2005 12:48:52 PM EDT by Forest]
Gee Scientists not hold a press conference something till they had all the facts in, how unusual.

Yeah I'll bet it was the Hacker who forced them to 'tell all'.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:46:26 PM EDT
Astronomy Dominae....
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:50:34 PM EDT
They were just waiting to firm up their data... We don't want another Cold Fusion flap do we?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:50:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/1/2005 1:00:30 PM EDT by RiffRandall]

so what it pluto then?

What if somebody answers "The Roman God of the underworld"?

<hijack> How can Mickey (a mouse) have a pet dog? And WTF is the deal with Goofy being a bipedal humanoid "dog" who talks while Pluto is 4 legged & just barks?

I've read that scientists think Pluto isn't originally from our system. That would explain it's fuxxored semi oval orbit (ducking inside Neptune's orbit for ~20yrs out of it's 248yr trip around the sun.)
It's also not mostly gas like Saturn, Jupiter, Uranus & Neptune. Kinda odd that 4/5 of the outer planets are gas giants. And it's orbit is 17 degrees off the same plane as the other planets.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:55:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Forest:
Gee Scientists not hold a press conference something till they had all the facts in, how unusual.

Yeah I'll bet it was the Hacker who forced them to 'tell all'.

Pretty much.

Real science takes time, peer review, and confirmation.

Junk science requires a political movement (see: "secondhand smoke")
Top Top