Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2001 9:54:16 AM EDT
Just bought a new 10/22 this past monday. I like the feel and the decent accuracy (although it's no where near my marlin model 60 in accuracy) But I hate the gun because it has Jammed every clip load so far. I got pissed and only shot 3 clip loads and my dad shot one and it jammed on him too. What is happening is the fired shell is getting caught in the action  as the action goes foward. Happens at least once a clip load, slow or rapid fire. When I pullo the acton back to finish exjecting the shell, it also ejects the new unfired shell as well, I used winchester 40gr copper plated hollowpoints.  I must say I am a little  dissapointed. What can I do about this?
-Chuck
[uzi]
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 9:59:48 AM EDT
[#1]
have you taken it down and stripped all the grease that ruger ships them with? and since it's new it might be a tight spring and it's short stroking and not hiiting the ejector, just fire it a whole lot.

might help to loosen the spring to use the bolt-hold-open and leave the bolt all the way back for a few days that your not using it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 10:04:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Make sure it is properly cleaned. Also try different ammo.  Some ammo in my model 60 jams once in about 15-17 rounds, other ammo I have no trouble with.  All the 10/22's I have shot jam about one in 10-15 rounds.  With different mags and ammo. I would not give up on you 10/22 yet. Just play around with it for a while and I bet you will find something that works.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 10:05:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Try different ammo.  I had one that was a little pickly, but 100% reliable with other stuff.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 10:18:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, its probably the ammo. I had jams like crazy, and as soon as I switched to different ammo, it stopped.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 10:33:15 AM EDT
[#5]
The cleaning was not a problem, will never be with any gun I own, What type of Ammo do you guys reccomend? My Marlin Model 60 eats up anything I put in it no sweat. I will leave the bolt back for the next few days that I don't use it.
-Chuck
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 10:40:53 AM EDT
[#6]
My 10/22 used to jam anywhere from once to five or 10 times per mag, depending on the mag and ammo.  I cleaned it carefully, bought new mags and limited myself to 'good' ammo for years.  With a bad mag and ammo it disliked it was just terrible - partial feeds, fail to eject, and the odd stovepipe. Recently my gunsmith fitted a new extractor and extractor spring and added the Volquartsen titanium extended cocking handle recoil spring assembly.  What a difference!  Any mag, any ammo, even rapid fire is no problem at all now - virtually all types of ammo function absolutely 100%.  If nothing else works, you might want to go that route.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 11:03:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 11:23:25 AM EDT
[#8]
My 10/22 jams on all of the cheap copper plated loads -36gr HP's such as Remington Golden's, Winchester Super X, Federal "walmart" packs,etc. It feeds all lead 40gr solids (Remington Thunderbolts, Winchester Wildcats, Federal Lightnings)perfectly, and isn't too picky about 38gr copper plated HP's. It feeds any CCI that I've fed it. I've run into folks whose 10/22's refused to eat any lubed lead, and feed copper plated flawlessly. It's an ammo issue. Buy a box of everything, then test them in one afternoon at the range. It costs about $15 total, but is well worth it. Oh, BTW,nothing is more reliable then the Ruger stock steel lipped magazines.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 11:32:44 AM EDT
[#9]
My 10/22 has never jammed.  Doesn't matter what I put through it.

It sounds to me like you have a too strong recoil spring and/or are using low velocity ammo.  The 10/22 works best with high velocity, but mine has never failed with standard velocity either.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 11:36:26 AM EDT
[#10]
My 10/22's jam with Winchester ammo. So far the most reliable has been Federal Hi-Power.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 11:39:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Mine seems to like the Gold hollowpoint stuff (Got it from WalMart a few years back). MY neighbor's 10/22 can shoot more than 3 rounds of it.

Hmm, starting to sound as finicky as an AR-15 .

It is pretty damn accurate though, as long as I can see the target.

Link Posted: 8/3/2001 11:59:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Make sure the extractor is aligned perfectly with the extractor recess. It is common on Rugers to be off a little, but easy to fix. Speaking of extractors, the stock ones are not the best. You can get after market ones by Power Custom, and others, for cheap. But, try the other suggestions first.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I've had three 10/22s over the past 20+ years.  One of them did not like Federal Lightning ammo.  Luckily they don't seem to market that crap any more.  The other two have worked almost perfectly.  I once had some high cap mags that would not work with truncated cone style bullets.  I am surprised that so many of you guys have had lots of jams with your 10/22s.  The only one that I still own has almost no original Ruger parts in it as I have turned it into a home brew custom rifle. It has never choked on anything in any of it's many modifications.  Good luck.  Hope you get it working.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 12:19:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 1:24:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Have any of you guys tried a full-auto simulator on it yet? just interested because that is kinda what I bought it for. What about some type of Muzzle brake/compensator for the group to be a little tighter?
-Chuck?
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 1:44:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 4:00:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Haven't done the ultra-rapid fire thing yet due to current Canadian regulations, but adding a muzzle brake would be an excellent idea if you do decide to go that route.  Even .22s have some muzzle flip in fa. [heavy]

BTW back when my 10/22 was still jamming, it cycled best with hyper-velocity ammo. ymmv.

Link Posted: 8/3/2001 4:08:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Gee, I might get one jam in 80 to 100 rnds.  I bought it used 25 years ago.  I use factory and aftermarket mags, and whatever ammo is on sale.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 4:12:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I have owned 2 Ruger 10/22s and never had any jamming problems, except when I was using crappy ammo. I believe that Ruger will either fix ir replace your rifle (at no cost) if you continue to have this problem.

Tyler

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/tylerdurden1201%2FplatoonPic3%2Ejpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 4:15:27 PM EDT
[#20]
At this moment I own four 10/22s. I bought one new and the rest were used. Before I did any firing I stripped and cleaned each one to make sure there was absolutely no grease left in them. They all work fine with any ammo I have used. Even the one that sits in a Bullpup stock. This one is Stainless Steel and I keep a 30 round Ramline mag in it. I wish I had a digital camera to post some pics of the mods I made to two of these rifles. But alas........

AKASL

LIVE FREE OR DIE

NEW HAMPSHIRE
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 8:20:17 PM EDT
[#21]
I had the exact same problem when first got mine. would jam on every other shot with a variety of results. But I had not cleaned it, just took it straight out of the box and went to shooting. So I striped it and cleaned it real good and have not had any problems since.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 8:38:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Don't use Win hollow points. I had the same problem with those rounds. Put some good Eley Std. or RWS R5 through it if you can. I stay away from Amer. crap .22 ammo. Use Eley or RWS, and buy them in bricks when you can. Just use the std. rifle ammo. I actually use RWS subsonic without a problem, despite the low recoil. (gets 0.4" groups or less at 50 yds [}:D] ).

Regardless, you might have a super strong recoil spring. I've seen other people with the same problem. Call up Volquartsen and get a new recoil spring bolt handle assembly. I think Ruger is really starting to suck ass with their quality control. I even had someone tell me at the range that they stopped checkering the pistol grip of their American Deluxe Sporter. Volquartsen ought to buy the rights to the 10/22 to give the gun justice.

themao [chainsawkill]
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 8:57:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Stop shooting Yello Jackets or ANY Remingtom ammo.
Switch to CCI Stingers and NEVER shoot anything else!!!

BISHOP
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 6:11:18 AM EDT
[#24]
My 10/22 has never jammed in about 1000 rounds.  I've read this on other threads so maybe you want to try this...

Check the filler screws on top of the receiver that are used to mount a scope.  If they protrude even the slightest amount into the receiver, they could catch the bolt and cause a jam.  A little gunsmithing with a fine file could solve the problem...  just a thought.

Good Luck!
SOL

Link Posted: 8/5/2001 9:55:15 AM EDT
[#25]
I agree with Bishop on this one. Gete a brick of CCI Stingers to break it in with atleast. Will run 21-25 bucks depending on where you find them but well worth it. Also use the factory 10 rounders. The old Eaton and Ram Line mags are almost worthless unless you can find some of the Hot Lips or Steele Lips (cant remember which)which will actually feed. There is an aftermarket company that makes a clip type device that you can carry either two or four factory mags together. It aint a 30 rounder but at least they are right there handy. After its broken in it should feed just about anything.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 5:07:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Switch to CCI Stingers and NEVER shoot anything else!!!

BISHOP
View Quote

Do they shoot accurately in your rifle? They "pattern" in all of my .22's. I've had better luck with Mini-Mags myself. Just curious.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 6:08:44 PM EDT
[#27]
I shoot a lot of 22. From experience I would say this

Ammo is important. If you use waxy lubed bullets the residue builds up in the mag and around the extractor and causes problems.

I had problems with Remington Golden HV and Winchester, but works great with Federal copper HV (all from WalMart)

The CCI bulk pack stuff works great too, but is hard to get now. Winchester ammo from KMart also works OK (loaded just for them). I stick with the Federal HV bricks from WalMart now ($9 for 600)

The Ruger mags are not the best idea in the world. All of mine fail to feed occasionally.

Strip the rifle down and use WD40 to clean and degrease the guts. Reassemble using very little lube (I've just treated mine with Fastex - a MiliTec 1 equivalent - 'dry lube' )

Rugers area decent rifles *for the money*, but in the scheme of things they are not so good if you expect high levels of accuracy and reliability.

I have friends with Marlins and they're great. I also have friends with Anschutz autos - look basic, but accuracy and reliability second to none - my next acquisition in fact.

I don't understand why people buy a $100 10/22 and spend $800 on accessories. They end up with something which is 10% Ruger and still not as good as the Anschutz they could get for less money !

Link Posted: 8/6/2001 8:21:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Mach1; I use mine for close range bird, squirrel, and rabbit hunting/plinking.
I hit what I aim at every time, but never had actually took it out to "drive tacks" at long distances.  So the Stingers work fine for my purpose.

BISHOP
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 12:20:20 PM EDT
[#29]
I've stripped down and cleaned it again and left the bolt back for a couple of days. Seems to work ok, gotta cahcne to only shoot one clip load through it and it worked ok.
But i am stil lgonna try some other stuff...

I wanna try a full-auto-simulator device on  this gun.... has any one ever tried one?
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 1:01:28 PM EDT
[#30]
I bought a NIB Ruger 10/22T with stainless bull barrel and laminated stock for $139.00 at a pawn shop last year. They had misspriced it and didn't catch it. (I raped em good..LOL) I shot mine out of the box without cleaning it and never had a jam. I cleaned it about 100 rds later and I still have no problems with it. As far as accuracy goes, I was shooting at a paper target, white paper with black rings and an orange bullseye. For some reason it attracted grasshopers. They would jump on the target and sit there. I was nailing them from 50 yards with my rifle and tasco worldclass scope. I couldn't be happier with my ruger.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 6:44:00 AM EDT
[#31]
OK HERE's the Verdict

CCI stingers, most accurate, jammed every 3-5
     rounds rapid fire, 1 jam slow fire
  Winchester 40 gr copper plated HPs good
    accuracy but jammed 1-2 times/clip
   (same stuff as before)
  Wichester wildcats, good accuracy, jammed
    3 times in 50 rounds
  Federal Lightning, no group what so ever,
     jammed once in 50 rounds
  Remington Gold tip High Velocity Hollowpoints
    Good Accuracy, NO JAMS!!!!
     I think I found the stuff that works

-Chuck

Link Posted: 8/13/2001 8:02:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Chuck, I hate to hear the problems you're having as I've been bragging on the 10/22 for years.  My entire family (father, g.father, 2 uncles, brother, cousin & myself) are all 10/22 fans because we've experienced near flawless reliability.  The only real exceptions have been when using aftermarket mags, subsonic ammo or non-factory parts (one barrel in particular).  All of us have great trust in the 10/22 rotary mag and next would be the Ramline & Butler Creek 25rd. mags.  My cousin & I have experienced jamming from Ramline's 30rd. & 50rd. 'double stack' mags and the mags themselves tend to break easier than others.  

Probably the single best thing that we have going for us is that nearly all of our 10/22's are older rifles (youngest is probably early '90s).  My father's is the oldest at 30+ years, it's in awful shape but it just keeps going, the trigger pull on it is a dream!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top