Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/6/2012 9:16:49 AM EDT
They had no siblings to whom Mom could make them say "I'm sorry," they never had to acquiesce when faced with competition.  They never had to accept it when little brother received something to which they felt entitled, subsequently learning contentment with what they already possessed.  They didn't always get their way, but as adults their view of what they deserve will be extremely narrow and rigid.  Therefore, they will never fully accept the imperfections of a boyfriend/girlfriend, because they didn't grow up dealing with the daily wackiness of a sibling.

Lights fuse and runs away from thread like its a leftover firework
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:18:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm an only, and I married a woman who is 1 of 9.

I will admit that a lot of only kids are A holes. But not all of us.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:19:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
They had no siblings to whom Mom could make them say "I'm sorry," they never had to acquiesce when faced with competition.  They never had to accept it when little brother received something to which they felt entitled, subsequently learning contentment with what they already possessed.  They didn't always get their way, but as adults their view of what they deserve will be extremely narrow and rigid.  Therefore, they will never fully accept the imperfections of a boyfriend/girlfriend, because they didn't grow up dealing with the daily wackiness of a sibling.

No argument from me.
Came from a family with three sibs and married an only.
Have a front row seat.

Nick

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:19:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds pretty closed-minded and broad-brushed to me.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:20:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Only the lonely.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:21:53 AM EDT
[#5]

It varies.

I knew an only child guy that was a bit like that, but not just because he was an 'only', but because he was an 'only', and he was spoiled. Some only children I know were brought up in more well-grounded families, and were normal enough.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:21:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

so broad brushed that to form an argument is almost impossible.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:23:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I'm an only, and I'm an asshole.

I win.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:23:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This is where sports can help.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:24:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn't say never but the only child tends to be spoiled growing up.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:26:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I win.

If you think that being an only is bad, try being a middle.

Screwed every time you turn around.

And I also am an asshole.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:26:51 AM EDT
[#11]
There are people who ARE NOT "onlys" who possess the same traits described by the OP.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:26:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Between marriages I briefly dated a girl that was an only child. Not only that but her parents were in their mid to late 40s when they had her. The way she spoke about her mom and dad made me think that her and her mom looked at her dad as some sort of pet. Her and her mom owned rental property together, went on vacation without dad, etc. I lasted about a month and get the feeling I was in line to be the new family pet
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:30:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Just like eldest children are overbearing assholes, middle children are attention whores, and youngest children are helpless babies, right?
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:30:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Yea, and never marry the baby, because they've been treated like the last great hope of the nation since they were old enough to shit... And don't date the middle, because they're always fucked up, and don't date the oldest, because they're too locked into being a junior parent that they never cut loose and have any fun.

Or better yet, just date anyone you want, identify their individual flaws, and move on if you can't hack 'em.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:34:03 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm an only and I'll be the first one to admit when I fuck up and I'll apologize for it.  I was taught to respect what I had and instead of bitching about what I didn't have, be happy with what I did have.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:36:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There are people who ARE NOT "onlys" who possess the same traits described by the OP.

They are all last borns.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:37:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just like eldest children are overbearing assholes, middle children are attention whores, and youngest children are helpless babies, right?

No, the youngest is the attention whore and the eldest is helpless. The middle one can climb up the tower all by himself.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:37:39 AM EDT
[#18]
I married one...she's not all bad......I'm kidding...she's wonderful...

I think it has more to do with with the parents...some folks just aren't great parents...
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:38:22 AM EDT
[#19]
our daughter is a only and is loved by all that know her. she was taught kindness, patience, understanding, morals, how to shoot starting at 3, ride a 4 wheeler her own before three, can out fish most men. started driving at 13 (Jeep she called baby) she learn fiscal responsibility and is a fashion designer for a fortune 500 company

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:38:24 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I win.

We should have an asshole party.
No wait, that's gay.

Nevermind.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:39:34 AM EDT
[#21]
I married an only...but she also grew up a commie, so really...she's pretty grateful for anything

Not saying there aren't moments of wtf due to what you mentioned, though

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:40:15 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm the oldest of 6 and the entitlement BS runs all through a couple of my younger siblings.

It comes down to a mix of personal disposition (temperament) and parental conditioning.

In other words, spoiled brats are spoiled brats regardless of their birth order.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:41:12 AM EDT
[#23]
My GF is the only from her dad's second marriage, but he has two kids from his first who are ~25 years older than her.
The princess attitude is pretty engrained. Her parents even give her half-birthday presents (yes, plural) every year

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:41:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yep

My wife is an only child and Very level headed, not selfish in any way.
(in fact almost to giving)

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:42:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I win.

No wait, that's gay.

Nevermind.

Who is bringing the Balls?
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:43:21 AM EDT
[#26]
I guess I could see that if the parents forced the kid to live the hermit lifestyle....I'm an only child, but with friends, sports and my cousins who were always around, I might as well have had siblings.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:44:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I win.

No wait, that's gay.

Nevermind.

That didn't take long for this thread to turn ghey.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:44:24 AM EDT
[#28]
That's one of the stupidest things I'ver ever read.

My mother was an only child. Her and my dad have been happy for 45 years.

My wife was an only child. Almost seven years now and I'm not seeing any cracks in the facade.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:46:54 AM EDT
[#29]
my father was an only child, he married my mom who is one of 6.  they are going on 40+ years now.

i only have 1 child, i dont plan on having anymore...  

life is all about how u make it...
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:47:05 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I win.

No wait, that's gay.

Nevermind.

Yes, you can cum along.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:59:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Im an only and my own best friend everyone else can "eat shit and die !!!"  
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:03:27 AM EDT
[#32]
that's the way I like my brushes and minds.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:05:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I win.

No wait, that's gay.

Nevermind.

The gayness started at about 12:16:49 pm CDT
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:08:41 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

did TRG log in?

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:10:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

did TRG log in?

Look up.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:11:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Qft
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:11:20 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm practically an only (much older half brother & sister, out of the house when I was growing up) my wife is an only

so fuck everyone.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:17:50 AM EDT
[#38]
I do not like to share...

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:26:19 AM EDT
[#39]
I am an only and my wife who is 2nd of three does say that there is something wrong with me.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:30:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
That's one of the stupidest things I'ver ever read.

My mother was an only child. Her and my dad have been happy for 45 years.

My wife was an only child. Almost seven years now and I'm not seeing any cracks in the facade.

Exactly, people make their own way through life

Good going on Mom and Dad, 45 years is a nice time
to have share with one you love I wish them many more
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:32:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

BS.....I'm a only and I sure as hell was not spoiled, worked a paycheck earning job starting at 13, and paid for my guns, ammo, fishing stuff myself. I had two bicycles as a kid and I got both of them at the Police station when they got shed of stolen bikes that nobody claimed..

I swear I don't remember ever asking for much of anything extra as a kid. I knew there was not much point.

LOL...I asked Mom to buy some Wonder bread one day and was told I'd eat day-old and like it. Ever seen those 4' tall bags of unsweetened puffed wheat?  

Mom always says I was the cheapest kid to bring-up she had ever seen.

That said I'll be the first to admit that I don't suffer fools very well. I do think that is a common trait of onlys due to a lack of siblings.

Whoo! Remembering back on the cluster-fuck of multiple child families I was around growing up I feel pretty damn blessed.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:33:33 AM EDT
[#42]
But baby-boomers were less likely to be onlies.  Today, with the average family size falling, onlies are a lot more likely.  If what you say is true, then what does that say for our society?  Everybody is going to be selfish in 30 years.  It will be the new Chinese take-out.  A lot of people complain about it initially, but eventually people find something they like about it (face it, kids are expensive today and you can't press them into manual labor unless, ironically, you own a Chinese restaurant) so they learn to embrace it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:36:45 AM EDT
[#43]
I share nothing with noone
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:39:44 AM EDT
[#44]
You know what I've learned on Arfcom?  Every person on this planet is an asshole according to someone, somewhere for some reason or another.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:42:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I win.

Yup middle kid here with 2 sisters, yeah I'm a dick.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:58:53 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm an only child and everyone says I turned out great. Started working in the fields at age 12, I worked every summer until I joined the Marine Corps at age 18. I got the belt when I fucked up. I am very family oriented and I helped raise my younger cousins. I don't worry about mucha dn I know what I want from life.

My wife has siblings. She is a bit of a nut and worries a lot, and I love her for it. If she was perfect, that would be pretty darn boring.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 11:01:36 AM EDT
[#47]
miracle babies are not all that different (40+ year old mothers who get's pregnant with a child right her others are graduating HS).

My wife has spaced out most of her kids - we have 14, 10, 5, 1, eta of 2 months (ok, not as much spacing on the last one). (4,5,4,2)

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 11:08:03 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm from a family of seven.  I'm still a self centered asshole.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 11:08:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yeah, but we inherit everything.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 11:10:46 AM EDT
[#50]
My dad is an only. My sister and him share the family farm. He put padlocks on all his equipment so she had to buy her own. So they have two of everything now on the same small farm.  

I got out after high school and never looked back sometimes you need to share your toys.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top