BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/13/2006 8:44:56 AM EDT
www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/3718988.html

Off-duty deputy kills man who attempted to rob him

Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

An off-duty Harris County sheriff's deputy shot and killed a man who tried to rob the deputy outside a restaurant early Sunday morning, the sheriff's office said.

The deputy was in the parking lot of an IHOP restaurant at 19989 Katy Freeway near Fry Road about 4:20 a.m. when 19-year-old Kristopher Brandon Moore of Katy drew a knife on the deputy, authorities said.

The 14-year veteran deputy assigned to the narcotics division drew his weapon and fired at Moore, killing him. The sheriff's office did not identify the deputy.

The office said another Katy man believed to be driving a getaway car was arrested.

Christopher Adam Herrera, 18, was charged with aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:45:37 AM EDT
[#1]
He got what was coming to him.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:46:31 AM EDT
[#2]
9 or 45 ?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:47:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Good shot.

Next.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:49:49 AM EDT
[#4]
[Nelson] HA HA! [/Nelson]

BC
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:50:10 AM EDT
[#5]
No loss.  Good shooting too.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:50:33 AM EDT
[#6]
As an aside, I have a buddy who has trained with Tarani. At seven yards or less, you will be dead before you draw your pistol.  Knives are no joke.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:51:40 AM EDT
[#7]
4:20AM!  I have to wonder if the idiot was up real late, or up real early.

Either way he'd of been a lot better off just sleeping!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:51:41 AM EDT
[#8]
One down. so many more to go.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:52:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Bet he wasn't expecting THAT!

HH
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:52:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

One dollar says he hadn't slept in two days.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:52:46 AM EDT
[#11]
tagerific
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:53:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

An off-duty Harris County sheriff's deputy shot and killed a man who tried to rob the deputy outside a restaurant early Sunday morning, the sheriff's office said.

The deputy was in the parking lot of an IHOP restaurant at 19989 Katy Freeway near Fry Road about 4:20 a.m. when 19-year-old Kristopher Brandon Moore of Katy drew a knife on the deputy, authorities said.

The 14-year veteran deputy assigned to the narcotics division drew his weapon and fired at Moore, killing him. The sheriff's office did not identify the deputy.

The office said another Katy man believed to be driving a getaway car was arrested.

Christopher Adam Herrera, 18, was charged with aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon.

If this had been in Calif, I think he could also be charged in connection with the death of the Moore.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:53:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Good shoot.

How does the driver get the same charge that the dead guy would get? Weird.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:56:27 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Good shoot.

Most likely he'll end up getting charged for murder of his bud too.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:56:51 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
As an aside, I have a buddy who has trained with Tarani. At seven yards or less, you will be dead before you draw your pistol.  Knives are no joke.

That is if they have started an attack from within 7 yards, and you haven't started your draw. If they are standing 5 feet from you, you can still get the drop on them if you are acting first.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:56:53 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No way I'm taking that bet.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:57:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Thats like the robber that went up to a cop and said "This is a robbery."

The officer thought "No, this is a gunfight."
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:58:50 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is if they have started an attack from within 7 yards, and you haven't started your draw. If they are standing 5 feet from you, you can still get the drop on them if you are acting first.

I wouldn't want to try it.  I may get my damn arm cut off and that wouldn't help my marksmanship very much.  Bottom line, knives are a formidable weapon.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:58:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Nice.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:01:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Good $.25 investment in America's future.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:01:50 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Thats like the robber that went up to a cop and said "This is a robbery."

The officer thought "No, this is a gunfight."

I just assume everything is a gunfight until proven otherwise. It is taxing on the psyche, and I am drawing down a lot, but I feel more comfortable that way.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:02:57 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Meth?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:03:30 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Not to sidetrack this thread, but if I know he's coming (Situational Awareness), your buddy will have a third .45 caliber eyehole in his forehead.

The "Tarani" will be exiting the back of his head at 800 fps.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:04:02 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
One down. so many more to go.

No problem.

We've got lots of ammo.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:05:05 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Meth?

that's what I thought he meant.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:06:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Idiot o'truth!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:18:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Having done some Kendo (albeit not much) training and seeing what a great swordsman can do with a good blade, within 10-15  feet of an opponent, I would want the blade.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:19:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Everyone who carries a gun should be training with guns and knives.  I didn,t have much respect for knives until I took some classes on them.  Inside 21ft I would shoot to kill if a knife was presented.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:29:49 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Good shoot.

In Texas, if you are involved in an armed robbery, even if you are the getaway driver, all parties will be charged with Armed Robbery.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:32:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Owned.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:32:59 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Everyone who carries a gun should be training with guns and knives.  I didn,t have much respect for knives until I took some classes on them.  Inside 21ft I would shoot to kill stop if a knife was presented.

We always shoot to stop. Killing is a byproduct of a good stop.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:36:02 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Everyone who carries a gun should be training with guns and knives.  I didn,t have much respect for knives until I took some classes on them.  Inside 21ft I would shoot to kill stop if a knife was presented.

We always shoot to stop. Killing is (sometimes)a byproduct of a good stop.

Excellent point.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:57:37 AM EDT
[#33]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
Everyone who carries a gun should be training with guns and knives. I didn,t have much respect for knives until I took some classes on them. Inside 21ft I would shoot to kill stop if a knife was presented.

We always shoot to stop. Killing is (sometimes)a welcomed byproduct of a good stop.

Fixed it for ya.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:22:54 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

If this had been in Calif, I think he could also be charged in connection with the death of the Moore.

Dude, this is Texas, c'mon!

TXL
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:27:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:08:52 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Anyone who underestimates knives as a weapon is a fool. They don't run out of ammo. They don't malfunction. They can do more damage at extreme close quarters.

Yep.  That's what Kristopher Brandon Moore used to say.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:49:43 AM EDT
[#37]

I wonder if that dumbass kids was stoned too.

John
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:55:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:58:05 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that sleep deprevation will getcha ever time
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:59:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:59:45 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe in SF, San Diego, or L.A., but not in my area.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:01:57 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Anyone who underestimates knives as a weapon is a fool. They don't run out of ammo. They don't malfunction. They can do more damage at extreme close quarters.

Yep.  That's what Kristopher Brandon Moore used to say.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:11:02 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

+1
There has yet to have been a good thread about this lately.

With my CCW and spare mags; I always carry at least 2 knives (one strong/one weak side).
You never know when you'll have to fight for your HG.
For years now, there has been the SWAT article Link on the right of the Home Page (ARFcom);
called:  Rethinking the 21ft Rule.   I can never access it.  This bother anyone else?  Goatboy you there?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:18:05 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Good shoot.

Most likely he'll end up getting charged for murder of his bud too.

Yeah, Felony Murder. IOW, if someone dies while you're committing a Felony, you can be charged with their murder. If a old guy has a heart attact during your bank robbery and dies, that's Felony Murder. If a cop or armed citizen shoots your buddy dead while you're committing a felony, you're still guilty of Felony Murder. At least, that was the law in FL. I don't know about TX.

Also interesting, they didn't mention the distance. The gun is a better weapon, but don't discount the effectiveness of the knife. That's probably why the cop shot to kill at the sight of a knife. If the other guy has a knife, treat it as a deadly weapon, quite capable of killing you before you can decide whether it's worth shooting. On the flip side, if your life is in danger, and all you have is a knife, then that's what you use.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:42:54 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Don't get me wrong I wouldn't choose a knife as a primary weapon. I am just not delusional about the effectiveness of edged weapons.

You are, of course, correct.

If you surprise a person and have a knife, you can do lots of damage in a short time.  I sure don't want to get cut.

However, if the person you are attacking has a handgun and knows what he is doing, (like this officer), you are in trouble.  A .45 ACP to the forehead will take the edge (pun intended) off a knife fighter real quick.

Remember the first rule of a gun fight:  Bring a gun.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:51:10 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Don't get me wrong I wouldn't choose a knife as a primary weapon. I am just not delusional about the effectiveness of edged weapons.

You are, of course, correct.

If you surprise a person and have a knife, you can do lots of damage in a short time.  I sure don't want to get cut.

However, if the person you are attacking has a handgun and knows what he is doing, (like this officer), you are in trouble.  A .45 ACP to the forehead will take the edge (pun intended) off a knife fighter real quick.

Remember the first rule of a gun fight:  Bring a gun.

I'll elaborate on that by saying "Have a plan".

And would like to exclusively add to:   "have a backup plan"
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:53:49 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Very true, never underestimate someone with a knife...
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:58:20 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1
There has yet to have been a good thread about this lately.

With my CCW and spare mags; I always carry at least 2 knives (one strong/one weak side).
You never know when you'll have to fight for your HG.
For years now, there has been the SWAT article Link on the right of the Home Page (ARFcom);
called:  Rethinking the 21ft Rule.   I can never access it.  This bother anyone else?  Goatboy you there?

I can access the Rethinking article.  It is a PDF. I have it open in a seperate firefox tab as I type this.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:42:17 PM EDT
[#49]
A bump, to cheer up the evening crew.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:44:25 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
No loss.

+1
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top