Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/5/2012 10:16:13 AM EDT
So for whatever reason the makes of Red Dead Redemption decided to use a shitload of different ports and it's causing connection issues with my router.

I was getting a NAT 3 connection with my PS3 which never caused issues with any other game till RDR.  So I go about trying to get it NAT 2 by Port Forwarding.  Hmmm... my piece of shit routers firmware needs to be upgraded to allow PF'ing?  Wtf?

Ok... try it...  Doesn't work.  Try manually downloading and installing...  still doesn't work?  Wtf...  Fuck it, I'll just set up a DMZ server.  So I set the PS3 up with a static IP address and set that as the DMZ server.

Success!  My PS3 is now running NAT 2.  Except I still can't connect to any game type that has more than 5 people in it and still get connection drops trying to join other game types all the time.

What the fuck?

If I make it NAT 1 and plug it directly into the modem it runs fine.  Why the fuck would NAT 2 be any different?  Any solutions?  I'm about to say fuck it and just find a good router compatible with the PS3 and replace this old netgear piece of shit.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 10:23:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So for whatever reason the makes of Red Dead Redemption decided to use a shitload of different ports and it's causing connection issues with my router.

I was getting a NAT 3 connection with my PS3 which never caused issues with any other game till RDR.  So I go about trying to get it NAT 2 by Port Forwarding.  Hmmm... my piece of shit routers firmware needs to be upgraded to allow PF'ing?  Wtf?

Ok... try it...  Doesn't work.  Try manually downloading and installing...  still doesn't work?  Wtf...  Fuck it, I'll just set up a DMZ server.  So I set the PS3 up with a static IP address and set that as the DMZ server.

Success!  My PS3 is now running NAT 2.  Except I still can't connect to any game type that has more than 5 people in it and still get connection drops trying to join other game types all the time.

What the fuck?

If I make it NAT 1 and plug it directly into the modem it runs fine.  Why the fuck would NAT 2 be any different?  Any solutions?  I'm about to say fuck it and just find a good router compatible with the PS3 and replace this old netgear piece of shit.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 10:25:29 AM EDT
[#2]
^^

That's what I'm leaning towards but I want to make sure whatever I get isn't going to lead to more connection issues with the PS3.  Just wanna buy the thing, hook it up, set the PS3 as a DMZ and fo.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 10:51:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
^^

That's what I'm leaning towards but I want to make sure whatever I get isn't going to lead to more connection issues with the PS3.  Just wanna buy the thing, hook it up, set the PS3 as a DMZ and fo.

For starters, stop using the wireless card in the PS3 because it sucks ass.  I got a cheap $19 refurbished Cisco E1200 Wireless-N router and put DD-WRT on it.  Then I could use it as a wireless client bridge and hooked my PS3 up to it with an ethernet cable and it connects to my main wireless router.  Doing this increased the speed by 7-8x over connecting directly to my main Wireless-N router.

Here's a link to the $19 router I bought.  Looks like it's $25 now.  Still a good deal though.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006C1U8EE/

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 11:51:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Holy fuck.. think I got it.

I didn't deactivate the ports I forwarded when I set the DMZ server up so I had them both going at once.  Seems to be working after deleting the forwarded ports.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 11:59:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Nevermind.  Fuck this shit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top