Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2009 4:42:49 PM EDT
Any recommendations?  I want to stay around $300.  I want to keep it in my go bag so I can Skype the wife and surf Arfcom when I get stuck somewhere overnight.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:54:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the Acer Aspire One. Nice unit, no disc drive though.
Many others have the Asus. They're similar.
Go to the Urban Commando forum in the General section.
They've been written up to death.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:56:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Acers seem to be nice , however i'm going for a dell with my netbook build (Solar powered netbook with 20+ hrs of battery time :)
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:57:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Dealnews.com usually has places to find netbooks for a good price.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:58:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:04:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Asus 1000HE

This.   I have the 1000H and wish I had the 1000HE, it has a better keyboard and even higher battery life, 8 hour range i believe.   A friend of mine went out and bought an acer after he saw my ASUS and now wishes he had the ASUS.  The ASUS and Acer have almost identical performance depending on model but the ASUS wins in quality, looks and battery performance hands down.  Also stick with a 10" screen, 9" really is too small.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:06:48 PM EDT
[#6]
^^ That's the one I have as well.  I love it.  The CPU is slightly faster than the other Asus units and it's very easy to upgrade to 2 GB RAM.  

PS the battery lasts around 5 hours with normal usage.  Don't believe the mfr's battery ratings, cut them by 25% and you might get a reasonable estimate of how long they will last under normal usage.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:08:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Asus 1000HE

+1
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:20:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

PS the battery lasts around 5 hours with normal usage.  Don't believe the mfr's battery ratings, cut them by 25% and you might get a reasonable estimate of how long they will last under normal usage.

While that may be true with normal usage, I consistently get 6+ hours out of my 1000H.  You just have to be conservative.  That is 6+ hours surfing the web with some video.  You just have to keep it in power save mode  (which changes the clock speed of the processor) and keep the brightness at the lowest level you can comfortably use it  at, for me that is one click away from the lowest lvl.  Also make sure bluetooth is off if you are not using it.  If i turn off the wireless card as well, which you can do at the push of a button, I have stretched it even a bit further just doing things like word processing and excel.  But if you watch a lot of video and keep the processor speed up higher, yeah you can excpect 4-5 hours.  But still, try doing that on a full sized laptop.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:01:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top