Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/21/2006 7:20:53 PM EDT
I have a new HP with 4 USB 2.0 ports. I upgraded the OS from home to pro w/service pack 2 and suddenly lost my high speed usbs. It takes forever to burn a dvd now and prompts me with the "this device could perform faster if connected to a high speed 2.0 port". Did I loose my driver? Is this a microsoft problem or HP problem?

I know there is a bug were the prompt will pop up no matter what but this has actually effected my performance. Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:26:18 PM EDT
i get the same thing, except i get it on my brand new laptop!

interested to see what the fix is
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:27:09 PM EDT
I'm not gona help you if you call me a nerd. go edit your title.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:34:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Napoleon_Tanerite:
i get the same thing, except i get it on my brand new laptop!

interested to see what the fix is

Mine is too. It was in the device manager in the system folder. It has a bright yellow caution thing and I just clicked update driver and its fixed!

Try it I didnt even need a cd or anything
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:37:20 PM EDT
Believe it or not, XP doesn’t support USB 2.0 out of the box. You have to have SP1 to get it to work…

USB 2.0 and XP were released at about the same time. Microsoft didn’t have time to test their drivers so they released XP without 2.0 support. This was seen as the nail in the coffin for USB 2.0 at the time. Obviously things didn’t turn out that way.

When you install SP1 you usually have to uninstall the USB ports in device manager and then scan for hardware changes. They should pick up and install correctly.

I would think that the SP2 disk would detect them correctly but perhaps something went wrong. Make sure SP1 and SP2 are installed and then uninstall/install the ports.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:48:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Thuban:
Believe it or not, XP doesn’t support USB 2.0 out of the box. You have to have SP1 to get it to work…

USB 2.0 and XP were released at about the same time. Microsoft didn’t have time to test their drivers so they released XP without 2.0 support. This was seen as the nail in the coffin for USB 2.0 at the time. Obviously things didn’t turn out that way.

When you install SP1 you usually have to uninstall the USB ports in device manager and then scan for hardware changes. They should pick up and install correctly.

I would think that the SP2 disk would detect them correctly but perhaps something went wrong. Make sure SP1 and SP2 are installed and then uninstall/install the ports.

yep thats just what I read also. Just had to find the problem in device manager and upgrade the driver
Top Top