Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/25/2004 6:56:06 AM EST
Hey all,

I don't cause any trouble in my neighborhood for anybody, much less the neighborhood kids. However, for some reason, some of the bad apples have taken to shooting at the house with a BB gun (breaking a window), TP'ing the house, ringing the doorbell and running, etc. It's all pretty standard kid stuff, so I usually cut 'em some slack, but the broken window thing pisses me off. $300 to fix it. I've talked to my neighbors and we have a pretty good idea who it is, but I have no proof. What do you all think I should do? Anybody have experience?

I've gone so far as to think about having video surveilance installed to try and catch them in the act. If they break 1 more window, it would have paid for itself.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
BoB
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:58:47 AM EST
You could video the little asshole and bring it to court or get an under age nephew or friend to "talk" to the little shitstain. A broken arm is a real convincer.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:59:12 AM EST
Talk to the parents and TELL them that someone broke you window. Then trell them that several people saw their child do it so will they p[lease ask the kid if he broke the window or not.

After that patroll your house and run like a mad man at ANYONE that ever approaches your home.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:00:24 AM EST
I'd go over and chew the parents ASS. Then I'd make ti VERY clear if I see his little snot nosed brat within 25 yards of my house I'd gonna give him the ass whippin his parents should have long time ago. Then after all that I'd call the police and report his son shooting out my windows.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:00:39 AM EST

Originally Posted By BoB-O:
Hey all,

I don't cause any trouble in my neighborhood for anybody, much less the neighborhood kids. However, for some reason, some of the bad apples have taken to shooting at the house with a BB gun (breaking a window), TP'ing the house, ringing the doorbell and running, etc. It's all pretty standard kid stuff, so I usually cut 'em some slack, but the broken window thing pisses me off. $300 to fix it. I've talked to my neighbors and we have a pretty good idea who it is, but I have no proof. What do you all think I should do? Anybody have experience?

I've gone so far as to think about having video surveilance installed to try and catch them in the act. If they break 1 more window, it would have paid for itself.

Thanks,
BoB

Hmm i bet there is more to this story.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:07:41 AM EST

Originally Posted By die-tryin:

Honestly, there isn't. My wife and I both work, so we're not often around. When we are, we're polite to our neighbors and, I think, well respected. The kids involved are not on our block, they're a couple streets over. I think we bear the brunt 'cause our house is on the corner of two streets. Easy access and easy escape.

People in the neighborhood have seen these kids causing mischeif, drinking beer in the woods, screwing around with their BB guns (pointing them at little kids, shooting at each other), etc. Again, I have no proof, so I don't want to go around accusing them to their parents -- I also worry about the legality.

I'm just a little lost. I honestly wish there *was* more to the story, at least I could feel like I deserve it.

BoB
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:10:42 AM EST
Keep a fire extinguisher by the door and hose them if you can catch them.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:12:05 AM EST
Front toward enemy
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:15:08 AM EST
There is a computer program that you hook up a cam and set the portions of the area the cam sees to go off when it detects movement. You highlight the areas like your driveway, walkway, or the whole damn thing. Then, when the little twerp goes in front of your house, the computer captures it and instant proof. They even have wireless cams now. That is what I would do because you can't be certain when they will come. They also make night vision cams for darkness.

Sucks, but eventually they will get tired of it, if you don't catch them. As long as you don't let them know it peevs you because that will fuel them on.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:17:29 AM EST

Originally Posted By sgtar15:
Talk to the parents and TELL them that someone broke you window. Then trell them that several people saw their child do it so will they p[lease ask the kid if he broke the window or not.

After that patroll your house and run like a mad man at ANYONE that ever approaches your home.

SGatr15

I would guess at this point without proof telling the parents is a waste of time and may be counterproductive.

It has been my experience with kids stupid enough to do things like this if you tell the parents without rock solid proof the parents will just say its not my kid. The problem being the kid has probably done something like this before and the parent rather that face the problem just enables the behavior by ignoring it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:18:16 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/25/2004 7:18:34 AM EST by Zippy_The_Wonderdog]
Dig a pit in your basement, and soundproof accordingly.

Nab the little buggers, toss them in said basement pit.

Keep them down there for about a month, feed occasionally.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:22:08 AM EST
I had a bit of trouble with neighbor kids for awhile. I waited at nights with the water hose. When they came in the yard, they got soaked good. When the parents came to the house for an explanation, I told 'em what was up.
That ended the silly crap.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:26:46 AM EST
These kids are just bored... if you know who it is, see if they want to go shooting your AR at the range (if it is OK with the parents). The kids will then go out of their way to be your personal watchdog. You never know, you may make some good friends and turn the kids' lives around too.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:27:18 AM EST

Again, I have no proof, so I don't want to go around accusing them to their parents -- I also worry about the legality.

BoB

You have suspicions and that is enough! Afraid of what legalities? Just go and talk to these kids parents already!!!!!!

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:27:53 AM EST
Clean the AK on the front porch.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:28:29 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:28:53 AM EST

Originally Posted By peekay:
Front toward enemy

Damn...beat me to it...
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:32:25 AM EST

Again, I have no proof, so I don't want to go around accusing them to their parents -- I also worry about the legality.

BoB

You have suspicions and that is enough! Afraid of what legalities? Just go and talk to these kids parents already!!!!!!

Sgatr15

The legality of accusing someone without proof. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. I just know how I'd feel if someone accused me and I didn't do it.

BoB
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:32:33 AM EST
Stuff it in their pooper and don't post pics... the broken glass being "it."

Or, more seriously, stay up, and if they come by again, light them up like a chinese new year with a paintball gun.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:32:59 AM EST
Buy two boxes of blanks.... 30 round mag.... and just run at them shootin in the air.

- BG
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:33:34 AM EST

Originally Posted By die-tryin:

What makes you say that? In my old neighborhood, I lived across the street from the neighborhood troublemaker. I'd come home from work to find broken alcohol bottles below my DirecTV dish. He and his friends would be out in the driveway smoking dope until all hours of the night and they'd toss trash in my yard. All it took was me coming back from a range trip while he was sitting out on his porch to get my point across that the shit would stop.

Of course, I wasn't the only person he and his friends were messing with, as they did that kind of shit all over the neighborhood. I was just a convenient target because I was just across the street. They broke in and did $5,000 worth of damage to the pool/clubhouse area of our neighborhood while it was being remodeled, but beyond the kids saying it was Jonathan, there was no proof.

And last I heard, he's doing 30 years in prison.

Sometimes you just have to deal with shitheads.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:34:38 AM EST

Originally Posted By Mojo_Jojo:
These kids are just bored... if you know who it is, see if they want to go shooting your AR at the range (if it is OK with the parents). The kids will then go out of their way to be your personal watchdog. You never know, you may make some good friends and turn the kids' lives around too.

Or the little punks will break into your house and steal your guns.

I'd load a super soaker with watered down white paint and spray them with it. Then tell their parents what happened and call the police and tell them the same.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:35:10 AM EST

The legality of accusing someone without proof. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. I just know how I'd feel if someone accused me and I didn't do it.

BoB

The dont accuse them. Just go to the door and TELL them that someone is breaking window and that their kids were in the area....so do they know anything about the situation?

Personnally, I think you're scared.

You will be buying many more windows I see.

SGat1r5
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:37:30 AM EST

Originally Posted By Zippy_The_Wonderdog:
Dig a pit in your basement, and soundproof accordingly.

Nab the little buggers, toss them in said basement pit.

Keep them down there for about a month, feed occasionally.

IT PUTS THE LOTION IN THE BASKET! IT DOES AS IT'S TOLD OR IT GETS THE HOSE AGAIN!

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:39:18 AM EST

Originally Posted By cmjohnson:
Check your state's dollar value for a felony. In Florida, 300 dollar's worth of damage due to vandalism makes it a felony.

CJ

And catching the little fuckers doing it after dark is grounds for using deadly force. Now, I'm not saying I'd shoot a kid for shooting my house with a BB gun, even though there have been stories of people being killed by them, but I'd do my best to scare the everloving shit out of him. And rock salt is rarely fatal.

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:40:26 AM EST

Originally Posted By BUCC_Guy:
Buy two boxes of blanks.... 30 round mag.... and just run at them shootin in the air.

- BG

Very bad advice. Assault and possibly attempted murder if you do that unprovoked.

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:40:58 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:41:22 AM EST

Originally Posted By Jeepster:

Or the little punks will break into your house and steal your guns.

Perhaps, but they probably already know that Bob-o has firearms. Bottom line, it is up to the kids to decide what they want to do... if Bob-o is able to befriend them, everybody wins. Get tough with them??? Maybe it works or maybe not... if it doesn't work, Bob-o is in for a big ration of sh*t.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:51:42 AM EST
build a doghouse, put a heavy duty dog chain outside and put a big ass dog dish outside with "butch" written on it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:53:51 AM EST

BoB

The dont accuse them. Just go to the door and TELL them that someone is breaking window and that their kids were in the area....so do they know anything about the situation?

Personnally, I think you're scared.

You will be buying many more windows I see.

SGat1r5

Easy there. Yeah, I'm scared, but only of a lawsuit. If accusing people without proof isn't illegal, then I'm fine with it. Just covering my bases.

BoB
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:57:46 AM EST
Put up a fence, lots of outside security motion lights, get a dog. The little shits will eventually gow up, and go away.

rk
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:59:49 AM EST

Originally Posted By axl:
Put up a fence, lots of outside security motion lights, get a dog. The little shits will eventually gow up, and go away.

rk

Yeah, but as the sarge noted, I don't wanna be buying more windows. Personally, I'd like to get them on video and then extortencourage them to paint my house.

BoB
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:01:45 AM EST

Perhaps, but they probably already know that Bob-o has firearms. Bottom line, it is up to the kids to decide what they want to do... if Bob-o is able to befriend them, everybody wins. Get tough with them??? Maybe it works or maybe not... if it doesn't work, Bob-o is in for a big ration of sh*t.

I really doubt it. WA is pretty liberal, so I don't go around advertising my hobby. I did show my next door neighbor the AR once when his dad was out (who was in the military), but he and I get along very well. Other than that, I try and keep things on the DL.

BoB
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:07:19 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:11:00 AM EST

Originally Posted By jmz5:
...... put a big ass dog dish outside with "butch" written on it.

Dude, he said it was neighborhood kids.....not a gang of lesbians
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:20:32 AM EST

Originally Posted By Defcon:
1) Call police if you haven't. Report the broken window.

2) Go talk to suspects parents. Don't accuse/threaten their child, just let them know that you have suspicions or that you have had vandalism problems.

3) Install survalence camera or 2.

4) Wait for the little punks to show up tonight.

5) Capture them on video.

6) Call police and give them the tape.

7) Follow up with charges.

8) Problem solved.

1 and 2 are really important...this could solve it. Maybe their dads will have some tough love with the little bastards.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:21:34 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/25/2004 8:28:06 AM EST by ColonelKlink]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:27:06 AM EST

Originally Posted By ColonelKlink:

Hey all,

Thanks,
BoB

put a bigger hole in the kids window maybe he will get the picture.

How about put the kid through a window? I like that!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:27:44 AM EST
Whatever you do, just be sure not to physically touch any of the kids.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:31:31 AM EST

2) Go talk to suspects parents. Don't accuse/threaten their child, just let them know that you have suspicions or that you have had vandalism problems.

8) Problem solved.

+1 This is good advice and what I would do as well.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:38:58 AM EST
blowtorch, pliers. enough said.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:40:28 AM EST
Shoot back, self-defense
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:58:53 AM EST
bear traps. lots and lots of bear traps.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 11:32:57 AM EST

Originally Posted By DOA:

8) Problem solved.

+1 This is good advice and what I would do as well.

Yep. This happened a week ago and I filed a police report right away. I just got the window fixed and the sheer cost of it shocked me.

BoB
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 11:43:53 AM EST
About five years ago we had a lot of trouble like you describe in the road were I live. 8.30pm Christmas Eve the two local shitheads thought it was funny to throw a couple of rocks through our front window… well it was dead funny, standing their saying you can't touch me mister… ya!, ya!…when I caught up with them, dead funny till my wife walked up and backswiped one of them across the mouth with a pickaxe handle… I've never seen her that mad… Police were called, names taken, no charges were pressed… never had anymore trouble……

ANdy
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:47:59 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:22:28 PM EST

Originally Posted By vito113:
About five years ago we had a lot of trouble like you describe in the road were I live. 8.30pm Christmas Eve the two local shitheads thought it was funny to throw a couple of rocks through our front window… well it was dead funny, standing their saying you can't touch me mister… ya!, ya!…when I caught up with them, dead funny till my wife walked up and backswiped one of them across the mouth with a pickaxe handle… I've never seen her that mad… Police were called, names taken, no charges were pressed… never had anymore trouble……

ANdy

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:23:41 PM EST
Put up a "No Trespassing" sign in your yard.

Paintball gun with frozen paintballs.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:33:21 PM EST

Originally Posted By peekay:
Front toward enemy

Best damn advice on ARF.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:34:48 PM EST

Originally Posted By Mall-Ninja:
frozen paintballs.

Wont hit anything with any kind of accuracy outside of 30 ft.

~Crp
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:45:06 PM EST

Originally Posted By jblachly:

Originally Posted By vito113:

ANdy

Yeah, no shit!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top