Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2006 7:14:15 PM EDT
What would be a good gift for her "send off" party? Anything she could take with her that would be useful?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:21:24 PM EDT
[#1]
She won't be able to use it in Basic, but if you get her a good LED flashlight with a yellow cone on it, she can ditch her Lackland Laser for a much much more efficient LED light.  Those Lackland Lasers suck batteries dry and those batteries are spensive for a new airman.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:17:47 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
She won't be able to use it in Basic, but if you get her a good LED flashlight with a yellow cone on it, she can ditch her Lackland Laser for a much much more efficient LED light.  Those Lackland Lasers suck batteries dry and those batteries are spensive for a new airman.

What a moronic idea, that and the reflective belts.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:18:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What would be a good gift for her "send off" party? Anything she could take with her that would be useful?

A keg of beer.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:23:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Um, no. We have uniform rules, which include and are extended to their flashlights. The Lackland laser is actually undergoing a revamp to a model which doesn't shatter into 10,000 sub-components upon hitting the ground.

Just get everyone together for one last party, and take a few pictures making sure to get everyone in them. Save the pictures for when she is in basic, and mail them to her. Nothing like the feeling of getting mail at mail call, let alone a letter with pictures of everyone you are swearing to defend.

SSgt Lapp
Instructor, 361 TRS
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:29:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I remember my basic training in "Slackland" - Medina Annex (Officer Training) in 1991.  Middle of summer.  GODS what brutal heat.

Depending on what "wing" she gets into, she might appreciate a few gifts.

Good socks (thick) for PT, moleskin, ointment, lip balm, maybe an Ipod, pictures of family/friends, a little booklet of positive quotes/sayings, hand lotion in a fragrance she really likes, etc.

I still recall the first night I stayed up all night just to sneak over to paint the "rock" gold to cover over the green of the other wing.  The next morning was really fun when the green wing got their asses chewed for allowing the Gold wing to defile the rock they saluted every morning.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:38:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Depending on what "wing"  squadron and flight she gets into, she might appreciate a few gifts.

Good socks (thick) for PT, moleskin, ointment, lip balm, maybe an Ipod not allowed at all, whatsoever, pictures of family/friends, a little booklet of positive quotes/sayings, hand lotion in a fragrance she really likes, etc.

The rest are good ideas. I corrected what was not a good idea.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:43:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Get her a good set of golf clubs.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:06:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Final day of tech school at Chanute it was traditional to smash your Lackland Laser into a pieces !

Not much you could give that would be allowed at basic.  +1 on a send off party or get a post basic graduation gift.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:07:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Get her a good set of golf clubs.  

+1

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:12:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Um, no. We have uniform rules, which include and are extended to their flashlights. The Lackland laser is actually undergoing a revamp to a model which doesn't shatter into 10,000 sub-components upon hitting the ground.

Just get everyone together for one last party, and take a few pictures making sure to get everyone in them. Save the pictures for when she is in basic, and mail them to her. Nothing like the feeling of getting mail at mail call, let alone a letter with pictures of everyone you are swearing to defend.

SSgt Lapp
Instructor, 361 TRS

+1
One of my Airmen converted his Lackland Laser into an LED flashlight while at DET 1, 338th TRS in Fort Gordon, GA.  His MTLs gave him a ration of shit for it--and this is outside basic training.  Of course, as an ex-Navy ET2-turned SSgt., I had no idea WTF.

I'd say SSgt. Lapp would be the end-all, be-all authority on what's cool and not cool at Lackland AFB.  Do what he says.

SSgt. JS98010, WA ANG
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:16:11 PM EDT
[#11]
get her a nice pair of running shoes, she will need them for PT
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:17:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Hold on now, its not like she is going to Parris Island or anything
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:28:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hold on now, its not like she is going to Parris Island or anything

Believe it or not, the AF is getting to be more and more like it's sister services in terms of PT and combat training. It's not uncommon anymore to see an Airman manning a .50 on convoys in the sandbox right beside Marine and Army troops.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:40:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

They will get issued a pair of New Balance, but if she has special needs as far as sole support or something, get her a pair of plain-as-possible shoes. Almost all white preferrably, or light grey.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:20:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Get her some Lincoln Wax for her boots. Kiwi is a joke.  Get her things they are not going to take away the first night. Maybe a chain and cross, phone cards etc... And tell her under no circumstances is she to go to the snake pit!!!! Forget the salad, it is not worth the flogging.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:38:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What a moronic idea, that and the reflective belts.

Were you not thinking when you wrote that, or are you that naive?

Edit: Get her phone cards, stamps...stuff like that. I was able to wear my watch (given a long, long time ago from my father) for the entire time along with my cross necklace. And as mentioned above...forget the salad...ohhh they love it when trainees stop at the salad...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:41:40 AM EDT
[#17]
My son just graduated three weeks ago.  No watches.  The photos and phone cards are the best idea.  My kid is still waiting on his Christmas presents until he get thru a few phases of tech school.

If you can, try to go out to the graduation.  It has changed quite a bit since I went 23 years ago, but they have a nice event schedule for families now.

Give her some good words she can hopefully reflect on when the times get tough.  Tell her good luck and welcome, from an old Chief.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top