Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2001 1:50:49 PM EDT
Hi! Bit bummed right now and looking for some support. Doing a hairy case today...aortic to fem bypass graft on a person with high risk factors. Situation went south and in the confusion got a bloody 18 gauge (on the large side)needle through my very bloody glove and right through my thumb. I mean all the way through the thumb. If this person has anything I am convinced that I now also have it, the contamination was that severe. OSHA report, my blood drawn. Am in MD , a state that protects hi risk types, and cannot legally test the pt without consent. Pt is gorked out in ICU. I left today and gave the 'tern on call strict instructions to get consent to test pt for HIV, and all the hepatitis' as soon as cognizant.
Christ, I need a drink. Zack
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 1:55:08 PM EDT
[#1]
10-4' but you'll be AOK in the meantime keep the the thing on the QT.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 2:03:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 2:03:17 PM EDT
[#3]
If I were you they have emergency AZT regimines for people less than 72 hours post exposure that will prevent the virus from taking hold.  I don't know how to receive said treatment, but if it happened to me I'd be damned sure to find out

alphabeta121
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 2:08:04 PM EDT
[#4]
If it makes you feel any better, I said a little prayer for you.  I know what must be going through your mind right now, and God willing, you'll be fine.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 2:57:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Been there and done that!  Dont sweat it.  Im sure they gave you a SUDS test and some AZT.  The risk is there but small.  The AZT sucks. Makes you feel like shit.  You need a huge innoculation of vrus to get AIDS.  Hepatitis B on the other hand is much more virulent and takes only 600 or so viral particles. You're only going to make yourself sick over this by thinking about it.  There is nothing to do at this point but live your life.  But good luck, I am sure things will work out.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 3:06:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 4:05:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn commie state!  Whenever we have a stick, we draw and thats it.  You're putting your life literally at risk and the roaches have more rights.  Doesnt quite sound right does it.  One thing I have seen done in the ER especially for the guys like Ken is for the docs to find a real medical reason to draw the blood.  The white count can be low or the patient may have a history of nonhealing infections or PCP pneumonia, etc.  One reason the LEOs give the docs a break once in a while!
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 6:02:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Navydoc,

Have to agree with the others.

I have worked in a blood bank for 9+ years, and am currently in Podiatric Medical School.  I should add that I have been cut repeatedly with glass test tubes, splashed with all kinds of crap, despite following U.P.--it is an unfortunate byproduct of the job.  

Even in a large bore needlestick, the virus load of HIV is pretty low.  So that is probably not a major concern.  

From your description, the needle probably was "Cleaned" as is passed through your glove--by swiping the surface of it on the rubber.  Since it went through your thumb entirely, the tissue in front of it (i.e your tissue) filled the bore of the needle and plugged it.  So you should be relatively safe even there.

Did you get your HepB vax?

I personally think it Sucks that MD doesn't have a needlestick clause in the law.  

I doubt that you have much to worry about, but defintely take precautions.  You are probably in much more danger hanging around with a bunch of Marines than you are from that needlestick.

Any ?? feel free to e-mail.

AFARR
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Hollow needles are the worst.  They carry the highest viral load.  The edges are very sharp but I doubt they actually "core" the tissue. The bevel of the needle cuts and pushes the tissue out of the way. If it did core, it would be very difficult to draw blood or give IVs due to obstructions.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 6:26:24 PM EDT
[#10]
ARDoc,

That's interesting.  I remember reading a study of contamination (primarily microbial)in blood units--and one of the major sources was the "Skin Plug" that gets cut when you insert the needle on venipuncture.  I can't remember the journal or issue (it has been several years).  I agree that a hollow needle does hold much more viral load than a solid needle, but I think that Navydoc's risk is still relatively low.  

AFARR
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 6:40:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I agree, the risk is really low.  Lets start a AR15.com pool!  Just kidding.  I know what you are talking about.  The plugs are small and are solid.  Viral loads (like HIV) are small in solid tissue.  More bacterial like you said.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top