Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2013 2:56:28 PM EDT
My father purchased my sister a handgun for Christmas, however before he lets her take full possession of it he wants her to complete a basic firearms course. She has been around guns her whole life and is mildly familiar with them, she just needs to be taught further before she owns one, my father and I would really like to teach her on our own, but that is kind of hard living 900 miles away. What are some recommendations for courses? She is in the Austin area. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:26:04 PM EDT
[#1]
how to take firearm safety course without firearm? rofl
hunters safety at cabelas?

or tell him to man up, give her the gun, and send her to take CHL immediately.
that's all a pistol is good for anyway
..getting you to your ar-15.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:46:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Man up? So do you man up often and hand somebody a firearm knowing their not quite ready to own one yet? Gotta be a man right!

The first firearms safety courses I took didn't require we bring our own firearm. It was a class designed to go over the fundamentals of owning a firearm safely.

Didn't expect anything more from GD I guess with this response.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:50:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Man up? So do you man up often and hand somebody a firearm knowing their not quite ready to own one yet? Gotta be a man right!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This statement and your avatar are incompatible.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:53:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Post in the hometown forum and see if someone in Austin can recomend a range that offers a course.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:54:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Post in the hometown forum and see if someone in Austin can recomend a range that offers a course.
View Quote

Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:54:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Check TSRA Or NRA Web sites for a good start.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:55:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:58:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess there is no reason for that little pistol by your avatar either.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:01:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Our finest has spoken-I am dissapoint
Edit-13er
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:04:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Red's might be an option.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:07:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thank you, I appreciate the link as well.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

The next time you consider posting........... don't.

OP do what has been suggested post in the HTF probably get better and less retarded replies.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:19:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

OP do what has been suggested post in the HTF probably get better and less retarded replies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for the suggestion, I will definitely do so. Should've known the herp derp would be thick posting this in GD. The replies have instilled that.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:26:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Red's may not be the ideal place for her to take a lesson during normal business hrs and even on Lady's day.  It is very loud due to it being indoors and pretty tight quarters. Even if both the shooter and the person taking the lesson are both wearing elec ear pro, someone two lanes down may be pounding away with a 45/70 or a rifle with an obnoxious brake. Makes it hard to concentrate and difficult for important nuances to be relayed. I have witnessed several new shooters struggle to concentrate during their lesson due to the access noise and business that can show up.

That said, Red's is a great place and has very friendly and helpful staff. Call and ask for a private lesson and make sure they understand that you desire for her to be the only shooter. They will do this after hours sometimes. I have a place just 20 minutes outside of Austin where I often take new shooters, many being wives, daughters or sisters of close friends, and am able to put them in a calm and relaxing environment where learning is much easier for them.  I imagine there are several instructors in Austin that have access to private ranges and she may enjoy this type of environment over a crowded, loud indoor range.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:28:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Red's may not be the ideal place for her to take a lesson during normal business hrs and even on Lady's day.  It is very loud due to it being indoors and pretty tight quarters. Even if both the shooter and the person taking the lesson are both wearing elec ear pro, someone two lanes down may be pounding away with a 45/70 or a rifle with an obnoxious brake. Makes it hard to concentrate and difficult for important nuances to be relayed. I have witnessed several new shooters struggle to concentrate during their lesson due to the access noise and business that can show up.

That said, Red's is a great place and has very friendly and helpful staff. Call and ask for a private lesson and make sure they understand that you desire for her to be the only shooter. They will do this after hours sometimes. I have a place just 20 minutes outside of Austin where I often take new shooters, many being wives, daughters or sisters of close friends, and am able to put them in a calm and relaxing environment where learning is much easier for them.  I imagine there are several instructors in Austin that have access to private ranges and she may enjoy this type of environment over a crowded, loud indoor range.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for the insight, that is definitely something to consider with an indoor range.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top