Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 9/15/2010 5:26:33 PM EDT
I need some help guys, i have to shoot a Wifi signal from my router, Across the property to my parents house, so we can share a connection. What equipment do i need to do this with? I am considering a line of sight system as i can easily mount two antennas on each house. If i remember my Cisco networking, For a Cat 5 connection id need to run a booster in between because its over 100 feet. Which is why im considering the Wifi LOS.

What are my options?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:31:33 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Slimjim:
I need some help guys, i have to shoot a Wifi signal from my router, Across the property to my parents house, so we can share a connection. What equipment do i need to do this with? I am considering a line of sight system as i can easily mount two antennas on each house. If i remember my Cisco networking, For a Cat 5 connection id need to run a booster in between because its over 100 feet. Which is why im considering the Wifi LOS.

What are my options?

First, you need a booster if you go over 323feet. (technically you can get more but that is the standard) However you don't want to run copper between buildings because you will cause a ground loop and burn out network devices.
Just go and get two of these and then two of these

Load DD-WRT onto the routers, one in AP mode the other in client bridge mode and you are good to go.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:38:16 PM EDT
Originally Posted By c0t0d0s0:

What are my options?

First, you need a booster if you go over 323feet. (technically you can get more but that is the standard) However you don't want to run copper between buildings because you will cause a ground loop and burn out network devices.

Load DD-WRT onto the routers, one in AP mode the other in client bridge mode and you are good to go.

What is DD-WRT?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:44:38 PM EDT
get two wap54g and put them in bridge mode. you'll need LOS and a set of 9 db gain antennas ought to do.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:48:01 PM EDT

What are my options?

What is DD-WRT?

DD-WRT is an open source replacement firmware that you can install on the above listed devices. It will allow you to do things that would otherwise not be possible.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:48:19 PM EDT

What are my options?

What is DD-WRT?

firmware (software) for the routers

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:51:10 PM EDT
In a nutshell, DD-WRT is an open-source Linux project. The tag-line is "unlock your router." in layman's terms it turn most Linksys, Netgear, D-Link, etc into a quasi-commercial router/switch/WAP. For what you're trying to do it's right up your alley plus it's free; well minus your time setting it up. The guys over at DD-WRT hav ready built hardware pre-loaded for your application but they're a bit expensive. With a little research, a couple of the right wireless routers and a couple of directional antennas, you're in business.

I've been running three routers with DD-WRT routers in a bridged environment for over a year now without any problems. It does help to understand networking and a little bit of *nix but it's not required. The forums over on their website has good informations and setup guides plus a very active user support community.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:59:05 PM EDT
Im not too familiar with linux. I was hoping for more of a plug and play setup, if possible.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:03:29 PM EDT
Im not too familiar with linux. I was hoping for more of a plug and play setup, if possible.

No Linux required. It is all point and click. If you want plug and play it will take this from a $200 solution to a $1,000 solution.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:03:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2010 6:05:42 PM EDT by TurboniumOxide]
You just have to know how to operate a mouse to use the better firmware.

I have been running one of my routers at 1/4 watt for a couple of years.

Look up the pringles can antenna.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:06:02 PM EDT
Originally Posted By TurboniumOxide:
You just have to know how to operate a mouse to use the better firmware.

I have been running one of my routers at 1/4 watt for a couple of years.

Alright, as long as its pretty easy and straight forward, i havent worked with networking equipment much recently.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:06:02 PM EDT
You CAN just run a piece of CAT-5 cable

best is to run it in a hose or plastic conduit and
bury it so it wont get hit with the lawn mower etc.

Quick simple and cheap
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:06:47 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Mr_Harry:

Quick simple and cheap

Thats another thing i was wondering about, if the cable was protected, would it still cause a ground loop?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:08:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2010 6:25:24 PM EDT by Mach]
I would go with 2 of these

http://www.amazon.com/HyperLink-HyperGain-HG2414P-Directional-Antenna/dp/B000OQAA50

and 2 of these with the one in your parents house set up as a bridge.

http://www.amazon.com/Power-1000mW-802-11b-Wirelss-Router/dp/B002MVCRFG

I have not done this but I do have a 300 mw card and a high gain antenna and get about half a mile usable range

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:10:44 PM EDT

Quick simple and cheap

Thats another thing i was wondering about, if the cable was protected, would it still cause a ground loop?

I would not really worry about a ground loop
unless you are using shielded Cat 5
Even then it will most likely Not be a problem.

Burying it also helps it to not act like an antenna as much
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:11:09 PM EDT
The limit on Cat5 is 100 METERS, not feet. 200 feet is within spec.

Outdoor runs should use gel-filled cable, either direct-bury or in conduit, but gel filled either way.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:13:03 PM EDT

Quick simple and cheap

Use shielded cat6(and do actually ground it) and a couple cheapy UPS with the network conditioner plugs. Will work better than WiFi and cost way less.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:14:08 PM EDT
Originally Posted By WinstonSmith:

Outdoor runs should use gel-filled cable, either direct-bury or in conduit, but gel filled either way.

Yes indeed But you can get away with not using the gel filled caple and it is
cheaper BUT you may wind up having to replace it if water gets in the pipe
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:20:18 PM EDT

So, is gel filled much more expensive than standard cat 5? And then i should run the Surge protectors with the network conditioner on it?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:25:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2010 6:30:02 PM EDT by Sub-MOA]

So, is gel filled much more expensive than standard cat 5? And then i should run the Surge protectors with the network conditioner on it?
Do you have someplace locally that you could buy a 100' run of gel-filled cable from?

If not, you will probably wind up having to buy a whole spool and that is going to hurt a little.

ETA:
"That's on eBay!"
http://cgi.ebay.com/100-RJ11-RJ11-CAT-5E-OUTDOOR-DSL-MODEM-CORD-CABLE-CAT5-/360225954584

Not my auction BTW
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:33:46 PM EDT
Im pretty sure that a bunch of places in charleston will have it, if not, i have to go back to baltimore later this month. So after the 200 feet of gel filled, what else do i need, signal conditioner, and conduit to bury it in?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:36:19 PM EDT

see my recommendation. its plug n play not third party unsupported firmware needed.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:37:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2010 6:41:31 PM EDT by Mr_Harry]
Im pretty sure that a bunch of places in charleston will have it, if not, i have to go back to baltimore later this month. So after the 200 feet of gel filled, what else do i need, signal conditioner, and conduit to bury it in?

If it is gel filled it is most like directly buryable

You will just need ends and a crimper

I really don't thing you need line conditioners
Done this without them in the commercial world

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:37:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2010 6:38:09 PM EDT by 0699TeufelHnd]

Just make sure no one gets in front of the antenna.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:40:32 PM EDT
I would just run a cable if it was my install, as long as it would be easy to trench/bury it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:41:19 PM EDT

Yea, it aint cheap. Monoprice has 1000' spools of direct-bury gel filled 5e for $117.30, which seems crazy cheap compared to what I've seen it at. Sucks though, because that's way more than you need and it's not the kind of stuff you're going to want to trim up for patch cables and whatever. It'd be fine for an in-wall run later on, but it's not real flexible stuff. It sucks to work with compared to standard interior UTP, the gel can be a pain. (Alcohol wipes and rubber gloves. Trust Winston.)

If you don't have a proper 110 punchdown tool, get the toolless jacks. I think Hubbell makes some. People get all wiggy with line testing and certification too, but a straight blinky-tester will mostly do it.

I'd run the surge suppressors on either end too. That's a lot of copper in the ground, it'll be easy to induce enough current in it to kill network stuff. I'd noid out and unplug it (both ends) in thunderstorms too though. Lightning makes a horrific mess when it starts jumping around on network copper.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:42:32 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Sub-MOA:

Do you have someplace locally that you could buy a 100' run of gel-filled cable from?

If not, you will probably wind up having to buy a whole spool and that is going to hurt a little.

ETA:
"That's on eBay!"
http://cgi.ebay.com/100-RJ11-RJ11-CAT-5E-OUTDOOR-DSL-MODEM-CORD-CABLE-CAT5-/360225954584

Not my auction BTW

That guy says he'll do custom lengths too. Sounds like a good deal.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:43:32 PM EDT

Yea, it aint cheap. Monoprice has 1000' spools of direct-bury gel filled 5e for $117.30, which seems crazy cheap compared to what I've seen it at. Sucks though, because that's way more than you need and it's not the kind of stuff you're going to want to trim up for patch cables and whatever. It'd be fine for an in-wall run later on, but it's not real flexible stuff. It sucks to work with compared to standard interior UTP, the gel can be a pain. (Alcohol wipes and rubber gloves. Trust Winston.)

If you don't have a proper 110 punchdown tool, get the toolless jacks. I think Hubbell makes some. People get all wiggy with line testing and certification too, but a straight blinky-tester will mostly do it.

I'd run the surge suppressors on either end too. That's a lot of copper in the ground, it'll be easy to induce enough current in it to kill network stuff. I'd noid out and unplug it (both ends) in thunderstorms too though. Lightning makes a horrific mess when it starts jumping around on network copper.

Listen to Winston and do it right....... I'm being a cheapskate
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:45:13 PM EDT

Quick simple and cheap

You can go 100 meters with Cat5. You can buy direct burial Cat5 that will not require conduit. If installed properly, you won't have any grounding problems.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:52:38 PM EDT
Originally Posted By TerribleTom:

Quick simple and cheap

You can go 100 meters with Cat5. You can buy direct burial Cat5 that will not require conduit. If installed properly, you won't have any grounding problems.

The conduit is mostly for physical protection from weed whackers, mowers, and squirrels. Mainly fucking squirrels

I'd armor up any aboveground segments and maybe shoot it a foot down on either end, but I wouldn't armor the whole thing for a home run unless I was getting paid to
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:19:15 PM EDT

Yeah, the DD-WRT and WAP54G fan boys are at it again. Get a pair of Ubiquiti Locostation M2, $50 or so each. Put them in bridging mode and forget about them.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:19:53 PM EDT
C-band dish
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:23:02 PM EDT

Yea, it aint cheap. Monoprice has 1000' spools of direct-bury gel filled 5e for $117.30, which seems crazy cheap compared to what I've seen it at.

That's because it's probably copper clad aluminum for that price.

You don't want to work with gel filled. You can also get powder filled that turns into gel if it gets wet.

I don't know anyone who uses gel filled anymore. PVC is really good these days.

Anyways, only idiots run copper between buildings these days.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:18:42 PM EDT
Originally Posted By back40:

Anyways, only idiots run copper between buildings these days.

Indeed.

It's a messy, inelegant solution. It's just way more fun!

Wireless has it's own weaknesses, but I think it'll pretty much do right up 'til it's time to run fiber. The more I think about sticking copper in the ground, the more I like wireless.

Wireless is boring though. Set it up, get it locked in, reboot it when it bitches, keep a spare on hand for inevitable replacement. Whee.

Yea, go wireless.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:21:25 PM EDT
Run some CAT5 across the deck and kick some dirt on it.
Top Top