Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2003 1:03:43 AM EDT
My lifestyle demands that I buy a camelback like device. Cost is a factor, but more so reliability.

(And yes a simple gas mask is also on my list of of things to buy so that I will be prepared for the WTO meeting/ Democratic Presidental rally that is in my neck of the woods)

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 2:04:43 AM EDT
[#1]
When you say "CamelBak- like" does that mean you can't afford an camelbak?  What size?  I've got one system, I don't know which one it is.
BRB.  It's a BlackHawk Hydrastorm Tidal Wave. It cost me @ $40.  It goes for $39.95 according to BlackHawk's newest catalog. That's probably the lowest priced "name-brand" you could get.  I don't mean BlackHawk's price, I mean the money/size/quality of it.  There probably some generics out there that you might could get for less.

TS
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:32:34 AM EDT
[#2]
The MOLLE-issue Camelbak generally goes for about $30 or so if you hunt around. It is the 100-ounce kind, which is better than the 70-ounce ones, and usually comes with the rather essential on-off valve. I have used lots of Camelbaks, and have one of the MULE carriers as well, but I think I like the simpler MOLLE version better. Don't buy a cheap knock-off. If you hunt around, you may even be able to fine a used one at a surplus store. Clean the bladder with a bleach/water solution. Just let it soak for a few hours, and make sure you dry it out thoroughly when not in use, or it will mildew.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:09:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Camelbak that I'm mostly satisfied with.  I recently replaced the bladder with that of another brand--I don't recall the name--that I purchased at Target for $10.  This cheap knock-off bladder is more durable than the Camelbak.

In a lessons learned article on equipment used in Gulf War II the GIs complained about the durability of the Camelbak bladders.

Don't limit yourself to just Camelbak.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 11:23:57 AM EDT
[#4]
What would you guys think of [url=http://www.uscav.com/shop/uscitemdetail.asp?stk_code=WA20357]this one?[/url]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 11:30:48 AM EDT
[#5]
That is just the resi, not the entire Camelback/Hydrastorm.

100oz is a good size for me....carries well. You need the entire system and not just the bladder though.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 11:59:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Still love my Camelbak.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top