Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2014 7:32:47 PM EDT
  I have a 20' x 30' workshop with Masonite siding that is EOL that I am leaning towards replacing with Hardie panel vertical siding. There is a brick exterior on the along bottom of the building: roughly 3' high on one 20'  and one 30' sides,  6' on the other 20', and complete brick on the remaining 30' side.  None of the areas I will need to replace will exceed 8' in siding height.  There is tar paper under the Masonite that I plan on replacing with Tyvek. I plan on purchasing an air nailer for this project.  I plan on doing this over the course of several weekends by myself.  Any suggestions or warnings?

DXR  
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:34:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Forget the temporary materials and go with steel. You can get 3' wide steel roofing/siding with a 25 years warranty for about $1.80-$2.25 per linear foot. Buy once, cry once.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:04:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Hardi is a little more difficult to work with. It is fiber reinforced concrete that will survive almost any environment. You will need the special blade for your saw, and you might want to buy a cheap one you can throw away when finished. The shears are also very handy. I used them for most of the cutting. If you need trim, the concrete stuff is a pain. A lot of guys use a 1x under a cut piece of siding. You also may want to use the aluminum corners as well. I had the opportunity to be the first builder in CO to use it and have not used anything else except brick and stucco since (1991).  You will love it when you are finished, and it holds paint very well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top